Review by maggiechap -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
maggiechap
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 280
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Review by maggiechap -- The Unbound Soul

Post by maggiechap » 23 Jul 2018, 12:47

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What’s your purpose in life? At some point in our lives, we all ask ourselves this question. Richard L. Haight attempts to answer this and several other questions in The Unbound Soul. Readers who love spiritual journey’s and deep, philosophical looks at life will enjoy this book.

It comes jammed packed with information on meditation, vision questing and finding your spiritual purpose. At such a short length, I wondered if this book would offer any deep insight, or if it would be attempting to sell another life coaching program. To be honest, I found it was a little bit of both and I was totally okay with it.

As someone who studies spiritual philosophy on many different levels, I found my journey and Haights’ journey similar in a lot of way, and different in many others. This made the book a personal read for me and I enjoyed it all the more. I found some really deep insight within the pages of the book related to Haight’s retelling of his vision quest and meditation exploration. I feel anyone who is just beginning their first steps into these processes will benefit greatly from this book.

This book is written for those who seek the true path to the soul and to spirit and is one of the most honest journey’s I’ve read in a while. I will definitely be recommending it to some of my friends who are just starting out on their spiritual walks to help them find their own paths.

The number one thing I liked about this book was that Haight didn’t beat one religion over and over again. He made it clear, though he used his own religious background for story retelling, that this book wasn’t about a particular religion. It was about the path he took to find his own spirituality and role in the world and encouraging us to do the same, no matter what background we have. He simply wanted to give others a place to start.

The writing was well done and flawless. I noticed very little grammar mistakes and the most annoying thing I came across was weirdly phrased sentences that were written backward, but I thought perhaps this was cultural thing and over looked it as he had spent time living in Japan. It didn’t take away from the story at all, just made some phrases sound weird.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. I would recommend it to spiritual seekers, those who are atheist or don’t believe in ‘religion’ might not enjoy it or understand the concepts. Over all, I would give this book a solid 4 out of 4 stars!

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like maggiechap's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”