Official Review: Mighty by Matt Crofton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: Mighty by Matt Crofton

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mighty" by Matt Crofton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
-Mark Twain (also quoted in Mighty)
Matt Crofton became the unfortunate victim of Histoplasmosis and Sarcoidosis. Separately, they aren’t fatal but together they become a recipe for death. After 16 days in a coma and six months of grueling recovery, Matt Crofton emerged from his own personal hell a different man. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and depression thrust him to the edge of the abyss, and in a desperate strait to heal his spirit, he decided to do what no one has done before. On nothing more than a paddleboard, he tackled the Mississippi River. More than 2000 miles on 3 inches of foam.

Matt Crofton’s biography paints the miraculous story of four months of adventure after beating death. He shares stories about all the people he met along the way and the obstacles he faced, including another near-death experience. He is brutally honest about his struggles with chronic pain, depression, and PTSD. The fast pace and impactful yet simple writing make this an easy read filled with tragic tear-jerker moments. The author’s growth throughout this adventure is staggering and would inspire any reader.

Matt Crofton’s sense of humour also shines through. His truths can become difficult to read, but he easily balances it out with some much-appreciated comic relief. Mighty also features short journal entries and lovely photographs of Matt Crofton’s adventure, making this read even more personal. He connects with his reader - something I enjoyed immensely.

What I liked most about Mighty is how real the author’s struggle is. He is candid about the hopelessness he experienced and how almost dying left him with a broken spirit. His memoir is extremely personal and his love for writing, stories, and helping people is obvious throughout the whole book, making it impossible not the like him. I also love that a portion of the money of every book sold is donated to childhood cancer research.

While Mighty does appear to be professionally edited, I found two tense shifts and the journal entries had many missed capital letters. The journal entries are more informal, and the errors didn’t bother me much, but it is something that I can’t overlook. I would also like to add that while this book is a hopeful and uplifting read, the author’s struggles may be hard or triggering for those who have struggled or are struggling with major depression or PTSD.

I rate Mighty 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to those that need an uplifting and hopeful read that will put some of life's mysteries into perspective. I have hope that Matt Crofton’s story will help inspire many people like it inspired me.

Mighty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Ubah199
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ubah199 »

What more interesting here is living as a dreamer and the most disappointing here is not been able to do what ought done mightly
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thanks for a detailed review! I like books based on true events but this topic does not interest me thank you though.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

This sounds like one of those books that really makes you take a look at your life and appreciate it. He's an inspiration.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I constantly need regular uplifting. Thanks for recommending and I am going to get it.

When you said the author tackled the Mississippi River on 3 inches of foam, is that to be taken literally. I am confused about that and would like to know.

Great book I must say too...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I can't imagine someone who's had such a harrowing health issue overcoming it to then go paddleboarding on the Mississippi. I have my own health struggles (nothing nearly like the author), and I just can't fathom. It sounds like one I'll have to pick up and see for myself. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thanks for the lovely review! It seems like you like inspirational books, from the reviews you are putting out (at an amazing rate, I have to say, which makes me ashamed of my own procrastination XD). I'm sure that the book will be much better after a round of editing.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

A very interesting and informative review for what sounds like a very inspiring book. Good job.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Ubah199 wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 03:49 What more interesting here is living as a dreamer and the most disappointing here is not been able to do what ought done mightly
:tiphat: True that. Thank you for the comment.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 05:15 Thanks for a detailed review! I like books based on true events but this topic does not interest me thank you though.
I can understand that. I am not much into biographies but this one was worth the read. Thank you for the comment.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

OrlaCarty wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 06:04 This sounds like one of those books that really makes you take a look at your life and appreciate it. He's an inspiration.
He really is. Thank you so much for the comment. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Dahmy 10 wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 07:09 I constantly need regular uplifting. Thanks for recommending and I am going to get it.

When you said the author tackled the Mississippi River on 3 inches of foam, is that to be taken literally. I am confused about that and would like to know.

Great book I must say too...
The SUP, or paddleboard he used to travel the river, is three inches of foam. :lol: Should have clarified that! :tiphat: Thank you for the comment.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 10:06 Wow! I can't imagine someone who's had such a harrowing health issue overcoming it to then go paddleboarding on the Mississippi. I have my own health struggles (nothing nearly like the author), and I just can't fathom. It sounds like one I'll have to pick up and see for myself. Thanks for a great review.
It is such an inspiration! And any health issue is a scary ordeal. When it starts limiting your way of life, it can become so mentally draining. I hope you enjoy this one!
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

gen_g wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 10:30 Thanks for the lovely review! It seems like you like inspirational books, from the reviews you are putting out (at an amazing rate, I have to say, which makes me ashamed of my own procrastination XD). I'm sure that the book will be much better after a round of editing.
I will run around screaming "BUY THIS BOOK!" if it fixes those editing mistakes. And don't feel ashamed. Some days I am lazier than a sloth and an inspirational read is something I don't think I'll ever get tired of.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

AmySmiles wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 10:33 A very interesting and informative review for what sounds like a very inspiring book. Good job.
Thank you so much for the kind comment. :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”