Official Review: Civilisation Hijacked by Albert Morris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Civilisation Hijacked by Albert Morris

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Civilisation Hijacked" by Albert Morris.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Civilisation Hijacked by Albert Morris describes a terrifying dystopian society with citizens controlled and manipulated by powerful people, a world where the rich grow richer while the poor starve. George Orwell could not have imagined anything more sinister, yet Morris has not imagined it at all. This book is non-fiction; this world is our world. Morris says: "The vision or worldview held by the majority of the world's population has been distorted and manipulated to suit the aims and ambitions of a small number of powerful groups." He claims decisions made high up in government and churches are usually based on arbitrary authority: feelings or perceptions which benefit those who make them, instead of facts or principles.

It is all about politics (enhancing one's status within a group) and power (the ability to influence the behaviour of others). Part One of the book deals with theology and Christianity corrupted to suit the purposes of men seeking only to increase their own power and wealth. It details some of the imperfections in biblical scripture, offering a compelling alternate narrative that makes a lot of sense. Part Two looks at the "weapons of mass deception" used by powerful groups to control us in the name of their own greed. It covers governments and sinister agencies such as the CIA meddling in the political affairs of other countries, multinational corporations making us sick with poisons in food products, the global financial system ("the debt creators"), and the media ("the numbing and dumbing agencies"). Finally, Morris suggests how humanity can - over time - improve our current deplorable situation.

I liked the break-up of this book into two parts, as the chapters within each were thematically linked. In this way, the book followed a chronological progression from the time of Jesus through to the present day. The blurb alone convinced me that it would be revealing and compelling reading. It did not disappoint. By the end of Part One, it had literally changed my perspective on the world. As a lifelong Christian (and closet science fan), I found Morris one of those annoyingly rational people who just makes too much sense to ignore.

Civilisation Hijacked opened my eyes to self-evident truths which have been skilfully hidden from the general population by the "weapons of mass deception". These weapons include power, wealth and mass-media control used to "manipulate entire populations to fit the agendas of powerful religious or political groups". Ignorance throughout time has caused "chaos, destruction, inhumanity, and confusion, which we still have today". Speaking of time, Morris published this book at the age of eighty-four! So, aside from research, it is also the product of eight decades of wisdom and life experience.

On the negative side of the scale, this book has many minor typographical, grammatical and punctuation errors. I had already found ten by the time I reached page 13. Morris often uses commas unnecessarily; for example: "The first, deals with the theological aspect, of our misguided and shackled evolutionary spiritual growth." This sentence needs no commas. There are also a few consistent spelling errors such as "monitory" instead of "monetary", and mixing up "effect" and "affect". Some very long sentences in the book were also quite difficult to follow. One sentence running from page 17 to 18 contained 51 words!

I rate Civilisation Hijacked 3 out of 4 stars. Ranked on content alone, it is a definite 4-star book: compelling, thought-provoking and eloquent. However, the lack of editing detracts from the overall reading experience. This book would appeal to anyone wishing to learn more of the harsh, cynical truth about the world around them...but be prepared - it's not pretty. Some people might actually prefer to swallow the numbing pills the mainstream media feeds us and "stay asleep". Sometimes ignorance is bliss, and if this is the case for you, stay away from this book. For those who thirst for knowledge and truth, however, no matter the cost, this book is essential.

American President Dwight Eisenhower once said: "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." Our goal should be to apportion the world's resources more evenly to take care of everyone, not to simply watch the rich grow richer while the poor starve. Morris is right. This deplorable state of affairs must change for the sake of all humanity.

Civilisation Hijacked
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I almost reviewed this one because I don't mind reading things that are counter to my Christian worldview. Plus, I do think out society has made some big mistakes. However, I hope he included hope. I believe every person with every action can make the world better. Too often we want the government or other powers to fix the problems when personal action can make a big difference. Great review.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Well, this definitely looks like an eye-opening read. I agree that our society today sounds like it's straight out of a dystopian book--next thing you know, we're going to have our own Hunger Games...

Thank you for your review, it was very thorough :D
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Beautiful... We need books like this, non-fiction in their making. Books that would remind us of reality. Reality that boils on the deplorable state our world is in, and the redemption it earnestly craves for..

Awesome review, thank you!
hasan459
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hasan459 »

wow, i am really glad to read civilization hijacked
jennygosdin1
Currently Reading: Refugee
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennygosdin1.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by jennygosdin1 »

Your review made me excited to read this book.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I'm impressed that the author published this book at 84. Your thought-provoking review is certainly food for thought.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Your thorough review clearly emphasize to us that this an essential read as our wake up call to harsh yet true reality.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
harriton muhande
Currently Reading: Purgatory's Angel
Bookshelf Size: 107

Post by harriton muhande »

nice," this book is very nice to me since it is talking about what is affecting my country.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even after your review, I'm unsure about this book. It does sound thought-provoking, and I don't mind people questioning my world view. I'm just not sure that's really something that I want right now. Still, I do appreciate your thoughts on this one and am glad that you enjoyed it despite the typographical errors.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Excellent review. This sounds like much more than the unhappy ramblings of a discontent individual. I especially appreciate that the author has many decades of experience to guide his writing.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I am glad I noticed this review. This book looks like a must read for me. I have to admire the man, writing this at 84 years old. I am sure it will provide some useful insights into the state of our current world.

Thanks for the excellent and well written review.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

teacherjh wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 01:59 I almost reviewed this one because I don't mind reading things that are counter to my Christian worldview. Plus, I do think out society has made some big mistakes. However, I hope he included hope. I believe every person with every action can make the world better. Too often we want the government or other powers to fix the problems when personal action can make a big difference. Great review.
Thanks! I agree personal action from everyone is essential to making the world a better place. However, Morris asserts - and he's right - that there are those of power and wealth who only care about their own selfish financial gains. These people won't be affected much by the actions of you or I. We need societal change on a fundamental level, starting with the way our children think and interact with each other. The scale of change we need must be driven by governing bodies or it just won't happen.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Ginnamassa19 wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 02:44 Well, this definitely looks like an eye-opening read. I agree that our society today sounds like it's straight out of a dystopian book--next thing you know, we're going to have our own Hunger Games...

Thank you for your review, it was very thorough :D
Yeah, eye-opening only just begins to describe it! The detail about the banking system has to be seen to be believed! I guarantee there's something new for everyone in this book.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Dahmy 10 wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 06:11 Beautiful... We need books like this, non-fiction in their making. Books that would remind us of reality. Reality that boils on the deplorable state our world is in, and the redemption it earnestly craves for..

Awesome review, thank you!
Yes, I think anyone beyond a certain age - or a certain educational level - understands that the world we live in is a long way from perfect. Morris opens our eyes to the specifics, and does it very well.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”