Official Review: Bosnian phoenix by Miljan. Ilich

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Bosnian phoenix by Miljan. Ilich

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bosnian phoenix" by Miljan. Ilich.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bosnian Phoenix: The Singular Role of Bosnia in the Transformation and Preservation of Europe is a scholarly written history of the South Slavic region of Bosnia by Miljan Peter Ilich.

With almost six hundred pages including a voluminous bibliography, the book is divided into twenty two chapters that cover the origins of the Bosnian people to the nation’s final fall to the Turks in 1528, besides the Introduction.

Though the primary objective of this book is to ‘help readers understand the conflictual relations in Bosnia by analyzing the inadequately recognized great historical significance of that nation in regional and European affairs’, it also emphasizes the amazing resilience of Bosnia and, presents five widely accepted historical myths affecting Bosnia and examine the underlying reality by uncovering the forgotten history of the region.

Written in chronological order, the book discusses the early beginning of Bosnia including religious orientation. Moreover, the author features not only the great rulers of Bosnia such as Kulin Ban and Ban Tvrtko but also Bosnian leaders like Hrvoje Vukčić and Herceg Stephen Vukčić Kosača and other historical figures including King Louis I of Hungary and Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund. Furthermore, the book offers new interpretation of the Battle of Kosovo in 1389 and attempts to shed some light to some other issues such as the death of King Stephen Tomaš.

This is a very enjoyable history book. I find it informative, well referenced and objective as the author, in case of differing historical accounts of an event, is very careful to present both versions but makes sure to emphasize what is more possible. Events are described in painfully vivid details and the historical figures are supplied with short character profiles that it is easy to imagine them as real live people in action.

While what I like most in this book is the emphasis on the importance of religion, religious practices and religious freedom, and on the role of female, especially female rulers, in the history of this nation, I think the most important part is the emphasis on the admirable resilience of the Bosnian people as they fought for independence again and again.

Needless to say, I like this book a lot. However, this is not an easy read. Names, dates and places can be confusing and so are the events that took place. It requires focus, undivided attention, genuine interest and maybe a little bit of imagination for visualization. Moreover, the variation in spelling of some words like Patarines and Paterenes and Jacub and Jakoub can be confusing. Furthermore, there are several noticeable errors within the entire book like misspelled words (devine instead of divine) missing apostrophe (Bosnians flight) missing words and typo errors like Bogomilsm and myrtardoom. If not for the errors, I could have easily given this book a perfect score.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is informative, engaging, well-referenced and objective. I recommend it to history teachers, history majors and those who simply enjoy history. Detailed descriptions of atrocities and cruelty may not be suitable for young readers.

Bosnian phoenix
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

To be honest, and this isn't your fault, I fell asleep reading the first two paragraphs of this review. I appreciate people who are able to get through books like this, because they absolutely bore me to no end. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the book. Thank you for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not usually interested in the history of a particular region, but I do like that this one includes religious practices as well as female rulers. That's something that not all history books include. I still think I'll pass on this one, but thanks so much for the review. :D
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

I'm very fond of hisrorical books. They interest me to the end, thank you for your great review.
obialor chidera
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by obialor chidera »

I'm not fond of historical books . in fact they bore me . great review though
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

AmySmiles wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 13:03 To be honest, and this isn't your fault, I fell asleep reading the first two paragraphs of this review. I appreciate people who are able to get through books like this, because they absolutely bore me to no end. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the book. Thank you for the review!
You're welcome. I understand history books are not for everybody :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 14:05 I'm not usually interested in the history of a particular region, but I do like that this one includes religious practices as well as female rulers. That's something that not all history books include. I still think I'll pass on this one, but thanks so much for the review. :D
You're welcome. That's among the parts I enjoyed the most about this book, the inclusion of female rulers.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Jonida wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 16:21 I'm very fond of hisrorical books. They interest me to the end, thank you for your great review.
You're welcome and thank you very much. I love history books :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

obialor chidera wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 18:20 I'm not fond of historical books . in fact they bore me . great review though
Thank you very much! I understand history can be boring to some people :)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

While what I like most in this book is the emphasis on the importance of religion, religious practices and religious freedom, and on the role of female, especially female rulers, in the history of this nation, I think the most important part is the emphasis on the admirable resilience of the Bosnian people as they fought for independence again and again.
THIS made me seriously reconsider a book I would normally pass on--great review! Thanks for the recommendation.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 14:54
THIS made me seriously reconsider a book I would normally pass on--great review! Thanks for the recommendation.
You're welcome. It's a great book. I hope you get a chance to read it.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

History always interests me, but I require a more active approach to it, as opposed to simply reading (I often confuse myself). So while this is interesting, I don't see myself reading it in the future. Thank you for the review though!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

daydreaming reader wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 21:39 History always interests me, but I require a more active approach to it, as opposed to simply reading (I often confuse myself). So while this is interesting, I don't see myself reading it in the future. Thank you for the review though!
You're welcome. I understand history is not for everybody.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

kimmyschemy06 wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 08:52 This is a very enjoyable history book. I find it informative, well referenced and objective as the author, in case of differing historical accounts of an event, is very careful to present both versions but makes sure to emphasize what is more possible. Events are described in painfully vivid details and the historical figures are supplied with short character profiles that it is easy to imagine them as real live people in action.
I enjoyed reading your review. It sounds like this author knows how to tell a story and make it interesting. I am not sure I can do the 600 pages of this book, but your review makes me want to learn more about the Bosnian people. Thanks so much for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Eva Darrington wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 10:48
kimmyschemy06 wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 08:52 This is a very enjoyable history book. I find it informative, well referenced and objective as the author, in case of differing historical accounts of an event, is very careful to present both versions but makes sure to emphasize what is more possible. Events are described in painfully vivid details and the historical figures are supplied with short character profiles that it is easy to imagine them as real live people in action.
I enjoyed reading your review. It sounds like this author knows how to tell a story and make it interesting. I am not sure I can do the 600 pages of this book, but your review makes me want to learn more about the Bosnian people. Thanks so much for the great review.
You're welcome and thank you very much for the comment. This is a great history book and I hope you get a chance to read it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”