Official Review: Bosnian phoenix by Miljan. Ilich

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zvjezdana Sever
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zvjezdana-sever.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Official Review: Bosnian phoenix by Miljan. Ilich

Post by Zvjezdana Sever »

Thank you for a great review that brought my attention to this book. I think Bosnians are people of such a unique position in the history that shaped their culture from one of the most colorful societies to certainly, one of the most tragic conflicts in the recent history. I hope to get a chance to read this book soon.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Non-fiction history books are the hardest ones for me to read. I want to expand more to this area. This sounds interesting but it may not be the best one for me to start with.
Great review, thanks!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Zvjezdana Sever wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 18:21 Thank you for a great review that brought my attention to this book. I think Bosnians are people of such a unique position in the history that shaped their culture from one of the most colorful societies to certainly, one of the most tragic conflicts in the recent history. I hope to get a chance to read this book soon.
You're welcome and thank you very much. I hope you get a chance to read this book.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

abigailray1013 wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 19:58 Non-fiction history books are the hardest ones for me to read. I want to expand more to this area. This sounds interesting but it may not be the best one for me to start with.
Great review, thanks!
Thank you very much. History books are not for everyone.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

This book seems to be a 'must have' in any library, history section. The fact that is updated makes it adequate to even use it in history classes at school. Besides, since the book shares new perceptions such as "new interpretation of the Battle of Kosovo in 1389 and attempts to shed some light to some other issues such as the death of King Stephen Tomaš," it could help students, even professors, to prepare debates (after being edited, of course). Thanks for the well-written review!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Kalin Adi wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 10:17 This book seems to be a 'must have' in any library, history section. The fact that is updated makes it adequate to even use it in history classes at school. Besides, since the book shares new perceptions such as "new interpretation of the Battle of Kosovo in 1389 and attempts to shed some light to some other issues such as the death of King Stephen Tomaš," it could help students, even professors, to prepare debates (after being edited, of course). Thanks for the well-written review!
You're welcome! It's a great history book.
Tamfigu3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamfigu3.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Tamfigu3 »

It just so happens that my oldest son is friends with a number or Bosnian boys, men now. There is a concentration of Bosnians in south Hartford, and north Wethersfield, CT. Many of them do not have a mother or father and have discussed their "escape" from Bosnia with him. It is a culture I am very unfamiliar. I do know that one of the families are not Christian and do not celebrate Christmas. However, they assimilated nicely into the community and school system. I have never been a "history buff" but your review is intriguing. I would like to understand more about them as a "people" because there are many misconceptions about them and their culture in our area. I was seriously intrigued when you mentioned women leaders in Bosnia. I already have a comprehension "disorder" so I am afraid I would lose interest as I tried to keep people and places straight throughout the book. I may attempt the read at some point when I have more "free time" to be able to concentrate on the book.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Tamfigu3 wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 16:23 It just so happens that my oldest son is friends with a number or Bosnian boys, men now. There is a concentration of Bosnians in south Hartford, and north Wethersfield, CT. Many of them do not have a mother or father and have discussed their "escape" from Bosnia with him. It is a culture I am very unfamiliar. I do know that one of the families are not Christian and do not celebrate Christmas. However, they assimilated nicely into the community and school system. I have never been a "history buff" but your review is intriguing. I would like to understand more about them as a "people" because there are many misconceptions about them and their culture in our area. I was seriously intrigued when you mentioned women leaders in Bosnia. I already have a comprehension "disorder" so I am afraid I would lose interest as I tried to keep people and places straight throughout the book. I may attempt the read at some point when I have more "free time" to be able to concentrate on the book.
It must be nice to know some people from a country with such long and intriguing history. I hope you get a chance to read the book and enjoy it as much as I did.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Who of us can truly say we know much about Bosnian history and the recent war in that region? In that regard, this book sounds like a great read for history fans and academics. However, for me it would be just too much focus on facts, dates and details. I must find out more, but perhaps Wikipedia would suit me better ;-) Your review, however, I found precise and enjoyable so well done and thank you.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

sonya01 wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 02:12 Who of us can truly say we know much about Bosnian history and the recent war in that region? In that regard, this book sounds like a great read for history fans and academics. However, for me it would be just too much focus on facts, dates and details. I must find out more, but perhaps Wikipedia would suit me better ;-) Your review, however, I found precise and enjoyable so well done and thank you.
You're welcome. This is a great book and I enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing the review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

History books are only of interest to few people especially when it's talking about about a particular race, culture or region. One must be particularly interested to read a book like this.
Great review this is.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
MagensWife1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magenswife1995.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by MagensWife1995 »

I usually hate history books especially longer ones. Maybe one day I will have a change of heart. Thanks for your review, but this is not a book I would like reading.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

T_stone wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 13:01 History books are only of interest to few people especially when it's talking about about a particular race, culture or region. One must be particularly interested to read a book like this.
Great review this is.
Thank you very much. It is a great book.
Seth018
Currently Reading: Tai Solarin
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Seth018 »

That will be a nice book for those who want to know about Bosnia. But I rate the book 3 of 4 stars.
Princess Clara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princess-clara.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Princess Clara »

I love religious fiction. However, I'm concerned about the pages. Reading six hundred page novel is one hell of a task. I'll give the novel a try because of my love for historical fictions.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”