Official Review: Bosnian phoenix by Miljan. Ilich

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
User avatar
kimmyschemy06
Posts: 2382
Joined: 20 Oct 2015, 20:49
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 142
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading: Serpents abd Doves
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Official Review: Bosnian phoenix by Miljan. Ilich

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 20 Jul 2018, 08:52

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bosnian phoenix" by Miljan. Ilich.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review


Bosnian Phoenix: The Singular Role of Bosnia in the Transformation and Preservation of Europe is a scholarly written history of the South Slavic region of Bosnia by Miljan Peter Ilich.

With almost six hundred pages including a voluminous bibliography, the book is divided into twenty two chapters that cover the origins of the Bosnian people to the nation’s final fall to the Turks in 1528, besides the Introduction.

Though the primary objective of this book is to ‘help readers understand the conflictual relations in Bosnia by analyzing the inadequately recognized great historical significance of that nation in regional and European affairs’, it also emphasizes the amazing resilience of Bosnia and, presents five widely accepted historical myths affecting Bosnia and examine the underlying reality by uncovering the forgotten history of the region.

Written in chronological order, the book discusses the early beginning of Bosnia including religious orientation. Moreover, the author features not only the great rulers of Bosnia such as Kulin Ban and Ban Tvrtko but also Bosnian leaders like Hrvoje Vukčić and Herceg Stephen Vukčić Kosača and other historical figures including King Louis I of Hungary and Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund. Furthermore, the book offers new interpretation of the Battle of Kosovo in 1389 and attempts to shed some light to some other issues such as the death of King Stephen Tomaš.

This is a very enjoyable history book. I find it informative, well referenced and objective as the author, in case of differing historical accounts of an event, is very careful to present both versions but makes sure to emphasize what is more possible. Events are described in painfully vivid details and the historical figures are supplied with short character profiles that it is easy to imagine them as real live people in action.

While what I like most in this book is the emphasis on the importance of religion, religious practices and religious freedom, and on the role of female, especially female rulers, in the history of this nation, I think the most important part is the emphasis on the admirable resilience of the Bosnian people as they fought for independence again and again.

Needless to say, I like this book a lot. However, this is not an easy read. Names, dates and places can be confusing and so are the events that took place. It requires focus, undivided attention, genuine interest and maybe a little bit of imagination for visualization. Moreover, the variation in spelling of some words like Patarines and Paterenes and Jacub and Jakoub can be confusing. Furthermore, there are several noticeable errors within the entire book like misspelled words (devine instead of divine) missing apostrophe (Bosnians flight) missing words and typo errors like Bogomilsm and myrtardoom. If not for the errors, I could have easily given this book a perfect score.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is informative, engaging, well-referenced and objective. I recommend it to history teachers, history majors and those who simply enjoy history. Detailed descriptions of atrocities and cruelty may not be suitable for young readers.

******
Bosnian phoenix
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!

User avatar
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1255
Joined: 21 Mar 2018, 10:43
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Letters From The War by Amanda Bryant
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles » 26 Jul 2018, 13:03

To be honest, and this isn't your fault, I fell asleep reading the first two paragraphs of this review. I appreciate people who are able to get through books like this, because they absolutely bore me to no end. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the book. Thank you for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

User avatar
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Posts: 6097
Joined: 31 Dec 2016, 20:31
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: It's Just a Matter of Balance by Kevin S. Garrison

Post by kandscreeley » 26 Jul 2018, 14:05

I'm not usually interested in the history of a particular region, but I do like that this one includes religious practices as well as female rulers. That's something that not all history books include. I still think I'll pass on this one, but thanks so much for the review. :D
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Jonida
Posts: 98
Joined: 03 Sep 2017, 14:11
2018 Reading Goal: 32
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida » 26 Jul 2018, 16:21

I'm very fond of hisrorical books. They interest me to the end, thank you for your great review.

User avatar
obialor chidera
Posts: 9
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 19:45
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by obialor chidera » 26 Jul 2018, 18:20

I'm not fond of historical books . in fact they bore me . great review though

User avatar
kimmyschemy06
Posts: 2382
Joined: 20 Oct 2015, 20:49
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 142
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading: Serpents abd Doves
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 26 Jul 2018, 20:23

AmySmiles wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 13:03
To be honest, and this isn't your fault, I fell asleep reading the first two paragraphs of this review. I appreciate people who are able to get through books like this, because they absolutely bore me to no end. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the book. Thank you for the review!
You're welcome. I understand history books are not for everybody :)

User avatar
kimmyschemy06
Posts: 2382
Joined: 20 Oct 2015, 20:49
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 142
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading: Serpents abd Doves
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 26 Jul 2018, 20:38

kandscreeley wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 14:05
I'm not usually interested in the history of a particular region, but I do like that this one includes religious practices as well as female rulers. That's something that not all history books include. I still think I'll pass on this one, but thanks so much for the review. :D
You're welcome. That's among the parts I enjoyed the most about this book, the inclusion of female rulers.

User avatar
kimmyschemy06
Posts: 2382
Joined: 20 Oct 2015, 20:49
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 142
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading: Serpents abd Doves
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 26 Jul 2018, 20:41

Jonida wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 16:21
I'm very fond of hisrorical books. They interest me to the end, thank you for your great review.
You're welcome and thank you very much. I love history books :)

User avatar
kimmyschemy06
Posts: 2382
Joined: 20 Oct 2015, 20:49
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 142
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading: Serpents abd Doves
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 27 Jul 2018, 05:22

obialor chidera wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 18:20
I'm not fond of historical books . in fact they bore me . great review though
Thank you very much! I understand history can be boring to some people :)

User avatar
Cecilia_L
Posts: 1334
Joined: 08 Jun 2018, 22:16
Currently Reading: William and Tibby Forever
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Weavy Things by Barbara Ann Leonard

Post by Cecilia_L » 27 Jul 2018, 14:54

While what I like most in this book is the emphasis on the importance of religion, religious practices and religious freedom, and on the role of female, especially female rulers, in the history of this nation, I think the most important part is the emphasis on the admirable resilience of the Bosnian people as they fought for independence again and again.
THIS made me seriously reconsider a book I would normally pass on--great review! Thanks for the recommendation.

User avatar
kimmyschemy06
Posts: 2382
Joined: 20 Oct 2015, 20:49
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 142
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading: Serpents abd Doves
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 28 Jul 2018, 20:57

Cecilia_L wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 14:54
While what I like most in this book is the emphasis on the importance of religion, religious practices and religious freedom, and on the role of female, especially female rulers, in the history of this nation, I think the most important part is the emphasis on the admirable resilience of the Bosnian people as they fought for independence again and again.
THIS made me seriously reconsider a book I would normally pass on--great review! Thanks for the recommendation.
You're welcome. It's a great book. I hope you get a chance to read it.

User avatar
daydreaming reader
Posts: 253
Joined: 02 Jan 2016, 19:38
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: Elvis Blue by Lee Roberts

Post by daydreaming reader » 28 Jul 2018, 21:39

History always interests me, but I require a more active approach to it, as opposed to simply reading (I often confuse myself). So while this is interesting, I don't see myself reading it in the future. Thank you for the review though!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

User avatar
kimmyschemy06
Posts: 2382
Joined: 20 Oct 2015, 20:49
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 142
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading: Serpents abd Doves
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 30 Jul 2018, 02:31

daydreaming reader wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 21:39
History always interests me, but I require a more active approach to it, as opposed to simply reading (I often confuse myself). So while this is interesting, I don't see myself reading it in the future. Thank you for the review though!
You're welcome. I understand history is not for everybody.

User avatar
Eva Darrington
Posts: 1016
Joined: 18 Nov 2017, 11:21
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: Instant Wisdom by Beth Burgess

Post by Eva Darrington » 30 Jul 2018, 10:48

kimmyschemy06 wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 08:52
This is a very enjoyable history book. I find it informative, well referenced and objective as the author, in case of differing historical accounts of an event, is very careful to present both versions but makes sure to emphasize what is more possible. Events are described in painfully vivid details and the historical figures are supplied with short character profiles that it is easy to imagine them as real live people in action.
I enjoyed reading your review. It sounds like this author knows how to tell a story and make it interesting. I am not sure I can do the 600 pages of this book, but your review makes me want to learn more about the Bosnian people. Thanks so much for the great review.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

User avatar
kimmyschemy06
Posts: 2382
Joined: 20 Oct 2015, 20:49
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 142
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading: Serpents abd Doves
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by kimmyschemy06 » 30 Jul 2018, 20:59

Eva Darrington wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 10:48
kimmyschemy06 wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 08:52
This is a very enjoyable history book. I find it informative, well referenced and objective as the author, in case of differing historical accounts of an event, is very careful to present both versions but makes sure to emphasize what is more possible. Events are described in painfully vivid details and the historical figures are supplied with short character profiles that it is easy to imagine them as real live people in action.
I enjoyed reading your review. It sounds like this author knows how to tell a story and make it interesting. I am not sure I can do the 600 pages of this book, but your review makes me want to learn more about the Bosnian people. Thanks so much for the great review.
You're welcome and thank you very much for the comment. This is a great history book and I hope you get a chance to read it.

Post Reply

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”