Official Review: Tales from the Riverside by Larry Landgraf

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Tales from the Riverside by Larry Landgraf

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tales from the Riverside" by Larry Landgraf.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We live in a world rich in diversity, not only of language and ethnicity but also of cultural factors born of a person's environment. In this respect, it can be fascinating to peek into someone else's world - especially when that someone else lives in less-common environs, such as a swamp. In Larry Landgraf's book Tales from the Riverside, he offers the reader a series of short glimpses into his world: his home, lifestyle, and perspective.

Mr. Landgraf's non-fiction book is compiled of thirty-six very short stories that illustrate different facets of his life. Some are events that occurred years or even decades ago, while others are more recent. These stories shed light on various aspects of life in a Texas swamp, including the author's pastimes, diet, marriage, and occupation. Some stories are humorous; some are adventures. Some describe events that were shocking or jarring for the author or members of his family. One memorable story recounted the author's experience with Hurricane Harvey when it made landfall in Texas in 2017, but you'll have to read the book to find out what happened to the author and his swamp.

Although several of the stories will probably feel very foreign for most readers due to the uniqueness of the author's swamp-life microculture, the author excels at helping the reader relate to his work. He includes pictures and frequently offers short background explanations of some objects or phenomena that he anticipates might confuse some readers. For those with some familiarity with swamps or farms, these explanations will not be burdensome, but for those with limited familiarity, they could be enormously helpful. The author also explores themes that are common across larger cultural groups, such as family, travel, and common hobbies like fishing that simply have a more unique face in his swamp.

The author's writing style is very accessible. The writing is free of grammatical or mechanical errors and appears to be well edited. The author does not overuse jargon, and when words are specific to his situation in the swamp, they are usually explained well enough for even a city-dwelling reader to follow along. In a few instances, the author does inject "lol" into the writing, which seemed to cheapen the quality a bit, but since the mode is story-telling, tolerant readers may be able to overlook these rare occasions.

In my opinion, Larry Landgraf's book Tales from the Riverside merits a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The book is interesting and well put-together. The length is satisfying without becoming tedious, and the pacing of the stories is well thought out. I personally didn't care for the usage of "lol" in the text, but it isn't completely inconsistent with the story-telling mode of writing, so I am willing to excuse this one flaw. Through this book, readers everywhere can enjoy a glimpse of both the adventure and the serenity that can be found in a Texas swamp. For some, it might evoke a renewed desire to get out and enjoy nature. Others might have a renewed appreciation for the protections that insulate them from killer bees and snakes.

Tales from the Riverside
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

As a Texan, this collection of short stories really piques my interest. Thanks for the great review!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I like to learn about all the different areas of the U.S. and reading about life in a Texas swamp sounds interesting, as well as to get a glimpse of living through an event like Hurricane Harvey in 2017. I like the idea of separate short stories delving into various topics. Thanks for the great review on this book.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

This story doesn't interest me, but I'm glad you were able to enjoy it. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
priya110893
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by priya110893 »

Interesting facts about the environment.
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

As someone who probably lives pretty close to the author, this sounds really interesting to - your description of the writing style makes me think of All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot; approachable and real. I'm going to add this to my "want to read" list - thank you for your review
davidcoin

Post by davidcoin »

I'm not particularly a fan of swamp areas but maybe one day I will explore it. It's a good review.
Ubah199
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ubah199 »

Interesting fact about life at the texas swamp not only that it also tell about ones relation to culture and enviroment nice and good book for those who know the significance of nature
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you were able to enjoy this one. It sounds pretty well written minus the lol. It just doesn't sound like a book I would enjoy. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
lance28

Post by lance28 »

the book was quite interesting,I am a Filipino we do believed in some interesting things such as scary something,tales from the river side as a title sounds attractive...
Crainbow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crainbow.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Crainbow »

First off, I feel like the book should have been named "Tales from my Riverside" as opposed to "the" Riverside, that's based on the review I just read. I love personal stories and I can read this book for the humour it might have but I feel this one's not for me. OK review.
Itz Virtuoso

Post by Itz Virtuoso »

Fascinating story though, I think I likes the book.
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

Tales From the Riverside sounds like an interesting read according to what your review says. Reading about someone else's experiences helps me to understand others better. Everyone has a story to tell. Reading Larry Landgraf's story in short-story format is okay with me. I didn't even know that Texas had a swamp!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A memoir revolving around life in a swamp sounds like a good read for fans of the genre. Thirty-six very short stories that illustrate different facets of life in a swamp sounds enlightening. Accessible writing, good editing, and pictures add to the appeal. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I never thought a book about a swamp would sound interesting, but this one does. I like that the author shares so many personal stories, and that the stories are short.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”