Official Review: Pogo's Tale: The Life of a Therapy Dog

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Pogo's Tale: The Life of a Therapy Dog

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pogo's Tale: The Life of a Therapy Dog" by Linda Lutes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pogo’s Tale: The Life of a Therapy Dog by Linda Lutes follows the journey of Linda (a now retired RN) and Pogo (her loyal and vastly intelligent dog, who, as the title suggests, served time as a therapy dog).

After the death of Linda’s previous dog, Bonzai, Linda wanted a new puppy in her life. She and her husband took Pogo home from the adoption center for a night, and it was love at first non-bite. Having taken Bonzai to work in order to adequately care for him, Linda understood the potential benefit of a comforting animal on a patient. Thus, Pogo became a therapy dog. This book chronicles the many people Linda and Pogo met, as well as later adventures.

This is one of the most charming books I’ve ever read. In large part, this is due to the star of the show—Pogo. She is wickedly smart and full of energy. I loved reading about her antics. She would run to greet the mailman, score a treat, and be brought back with the mail. I laughed out loud at the part about Pogo frequenting a bar down the street and being called a “party animal.” Pogo reminded me of a friend’s former guide dog, who was also brilliant. It’s said that animals know things long before humans do, and I believe it. Their senses and instincts keep them aware. When it looks like we’re in for bad weather, I listen for birds. If I hear them, I don’t get too concerned. If something big and destructive was coming, they wouldn’t be out. Pogo reaffirms just how bright animals are.

The stories contained in this book are heartwarming and amusing in varying amounts. I found myself nodding along with some of Linda and Pogo's memories or experiences. One in particular came in the section about Gentleman John. John is asleep in front of the television. Linda changes the channel, and John awakens and says “I was watching that.” My grandfather did the exact same thing. He’d turn the ceiling fan on high, turn the volume way up on the TV, and fall asleep in his chair, snoring loud enough to wake the dead three cemeteries over. My grandmother would turn off the TV, and my grandfather would wake up in a huff, exclaiming loudly that he’d been watching that. My mother swears he did this just to annoy my grandmother, but I digress. Pogo’s Tale is full of such anecdotes that made Linda, Pogo, and their many patients delightfully relatable.

Linda’s writing is fluid and beautiful. This is one of the best-edited books I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. I encountered only two errors, and had I not been looking for them, I would have missed them as I was so enraptured by the story and flow of words. There are also poems sprinkled throughout, both about dogs and about the various patients described. This added a depth to the story and offered a glimpse into personalities that prose doesn’t give in the same way.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this book. With pleasure, I give Pogo’s Tale: The Life of a Therapy Dog 4 out of 4 stars. The book is a beautiful work fit for all ages. There is one section with mentions to drug use and that follows a troubled girl’s life for several years. Otherwise, these pages are packed with lessons and entertainment. I recommend it to dog lovers, as well as anyone seeking a feel-good read. Really, though, read this book. I’m glad I did.

Pogo's Tale: The Life of a Therapy Dog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I love that there are anecdotes and poems throughout. I even found myself smiling while reading your review. Um, and can I just say I adore the cover of this book, those eyes. Melts my heart! I'd love to read this. Thanks!
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a delightful read that any dog lover would enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love stories about animals and this one sounds really heart-warming as you have described. Pogo is really a delightful pup. Thank you for your wonderful review.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

This sounds like a wonderful, uplifting book to read. I might be just saying that because I have a huge soft spot for dogs though! Great review.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Maybe one day I can read this book, I just recently had to put my dog to sleep, so I feel like a story like this would be too hard to read for me. I enjoyed your review and the adding your own personal story was a nice touch. Thank you for the great review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

It's books like this that make me really thankful for reviewers :) I don't think I would assume this was my type of book based on the cover, but it sounds like a wonderful book with a lot of personality - thank you for your review!
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

This book sounds delightful. I love stories of dogs and their antics. I surely look forward to reading this! Thank you for the excellent review.
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!
psschwartz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by psschwartz »

I would love to sit down with my daughter and read this with her. She was in the hospital off and on for the last 3 years. The therapy dogs were amazing and were definitely a part of her recovery. Thank-you for a great review!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

it was love at first non-bite
I cannot not like that witty bit.
I'm also curious about the poems and quips.
Thus, this piece goes into my Want to Read list.
Thank you for the humour with no nip.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book revolving around dogs training as Therapy Dogs sounds good. The book follows Linda and her Therapy dog Pogo. The stories sure sound heartwarming and Pogo sounds a riot!! That the book was well written and well edited is another plus. I love dog stories, but I am not sure it is for me. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Your delightful review has convinced me to add this uplifting book to my bookshelves. From your account it seems that this can be read one short story at a time. I'll save Pogo's Tale: The Life of a Therapy Dog for when I need a quick pick-me-up read. It may also make a great coffee table book. Thank you for your recommendation. 💕
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The stories contained in this book are heartwarming and amusing in varying amounts. I found myself nodding along with some of Linda and Pogo's memories or experiences. One in particular came in the section about Gentleman John. John is asleep in front of the television. Linda changes the channel, and John awakens and says “I was watching that.” My grandfather did the exact same thing. He’d turn the ceiling fan on high, turn the volume way up on the TV, and fall asleep in his chair, snoring loud enough to wake the dead three cemeteries over. My grandmother would turn off the TV, and my grandfather would wake up in a huff, exclaiming loudly that he’d been watching that. My mother swears he did this just to annoy my grandmother, but I digress. Pogo’s Tale is full of such anecdotes that made Linda, Pogo, and their many patients delightfully relatable.
This is, definitely, a heartwarming book and, hopefully, one that will shed light on the importance of animals in our lives and the respect we owe them.
I love how you blend your personal experiences with the book. I think one of the most valuable assets of a review is to show how the reader interacted with the story. And I love your grandpa's story, my dad did the same thing!
This is a very personal review and I appreciate it, as we often get stuck in the format of just listing what is "good" and "bad" about a book. Thank you!
Moon13child

Post by Moon13child »

First of all just the word dog brings most people joy and I think this story is beautiful.
Smart12
Currently Reading: Kaleidoscope of Being

Post by Smart12 »

The book was truely written from the heart.one thing I love about the book was the anecdotes about the family interaction with the amazing dog.Everything is loving and gentle, reflecting the author’s heart.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”