Official Review: The New Epidemic-Grading Practices

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Official Review: The New Epidemic-Grading Practices

Post by Mely918 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The New Epidemic-Grading Practices" by Andre Mathews.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book The “New” Epidemic – Grading Practices by Andre Mathews provides an in-depth analysis of the grading systems in American public schools. The biggest focus of this book is the flaws in these grading policies and the imbalance that it creates among students. It is clear from the start that Mathews is highly opinionated about the current grading practices in the USA. He spends the entire book arguing for a fairer policy. This book provides detailed descriptions of the various systems used to rank students.

Mathews is advocating for an integrated system so that all students will have equal chances of success in their academic and work life. He divides the book into four sections, each detailing different aspects of the current grading system. Throughout the book, Mathews gives strong arguments about why the present strategies are mathematically biased. He uses terms and definitions to get his points across. Additionally, there are charts and diagrams to give visual representations on the erroneous grading policies.

I liked how strongly Mathews felt about the current system within American schools. He is very knowledgeable about the many ways that schools grade and rank their students. This allowed him to make very strong arguments against those methods. I also really liked the visuals that he presented throughout the book. They were very helpful in giving the reader a more solid idea of the issues. Furthermore, I thought it was great that he included definitions for words that others working outside of public schools may not know. Not only did that strengthen his arguments, but it also denoted patience for the average reader. He was willing to share his knowledge with the wider public. His dedication for this book made that very evident.

I hardly found any errors in this book. It was very well-edited for the most part. I only saw a couple of typos towards the end, but they didn’t take away from the overall content of the book. I did notice a couple of run-on sentences. Shorter sentences are better in these instances because they would not catch the reader off-guard. Most of the mistakes I found were in the last pages of the book. Although it wasn't a lot, it made the ending seem more careless in comparison to the beginning and middle.

All in all, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The errors and typos were minimal and easily forgotten. The content within the book makes for a great reading and educational experience. I think it would be a good pick for those that enjoy books about theories as well as academic and psychological terms. I would also recommend it to students and parents so that they can get a better understanding about school grading policies.

The New Epidemic-Grading Practices
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mely918's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Great review! Doesn't really interest me as far as the book goes, as I'm not a student or parent, but I could see where this might be helpful for some.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

Nice job on your review. This book maybe helpful for my sister, her son starts the school next year. Thanx
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

This excellent review got me curious enough to look at a sample of the book. I am intrigued by the subject matter and I think I would like to get some insight into the way the American school system of grading works.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

Nice review. Keep up the good work.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

As a teacher I'm curious what his arguments were. I, too, feel the system is flawed, but I see us more trying to make everyone the same rather than ranking students.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Most of us have gone to school at some point in our lives, so we're at least aware of the grading system. You do have me curious as to what he has to say, and with so many charts and things to help understand, it seems pretty down to earth. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I think the topic this book addresses is extremely interesting, but personally I may require a different medium for it. I am not to familiar with the US system, but where I am from, all levels of the education system need to be revisited. Even beyond that, there is the issue of effectively measuring work performance, and I think that at some point these two need to intersect. Regardless, thank you for the excellent review!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Thank you for an insightful review. I agree with Matthew that the grading systems in educational institutions are sometimes not fair and should be solved by the government of the day.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Great review. I haven't thought abut the grading system. I am curious what his arguments are.
:techie-studyingbrown:
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

This look like a very informative book. I am not familiar with the grading system in America so I might read this so to get a better understanding of the American educational system. Thank you for your review! :)
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

Thank you for the review.

I'm going to add this to my TBR list.

Do you remember any specific charts or diagrams from the book that were particularly useful?
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Mely918
Currently Reading:

Post by Mely918 »

Lil Reads wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 09:47 Thank you for the review.

Do you remember any specific charts or diagrams from the book that were particularly useful?
There were some that broke down the various grading and ranking methods in US public schools.
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Lil Reads »

Mely918 wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 22:37

There were some that broke down the various grading and ranking methods in US public schools.
I remember not understanding why I was struggling in some classes so maybe looking at some of those charts might explain it.

I know the book focuses on public school grading, but does he mention anything about their private and charter school equivalents?
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Mely918
Currently Reading:

Post by Mely918 »

Lil Reads wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 08:04
Mely918 wrote: 02 Aug 2018, 22:37

I remember not understanding why I was struggling in some classes so maybe looking at some of those charts might explain it.

I know the book focuses on public school grading, but does he mention anything about their private and charter school equivalents?
No, not really actually. His main focus is on the public school grading systems.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”