Official Review: Boxes by G. Temp Sparkman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Boxes by G. Temp Sparkman

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Boxes" by G. Temp Sparkman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“In remembering, we create a context. This allows us to relive the events that shaped our lives.” G. Temp Sparkman reveals the salient events of his life in his 2018 autobiography, Boxes. Believing chronology is not the best way to represent a life story, Sparkman views his memories as being contained in distinct categories, or boxes. Each of nine boxes represents a chapter in the book.

We learn from “The Tribe Box” that Sparkman’s parents settled in Van Buren County, Tennessee in the early part of the twentieth century. He describes in detail his active childhood and deep bond with his mother. His eventual liberal political views arose from many nights listening to President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s fireside chats with his mother. After college, the author attended seminary and subsequently began his career on the faculty of a Baptist seminary.

Sparkman’s boxes reveal his views and experiences on matters of religion, race, politics, art, and aging. “The Literary Box” offers an in-depth look at the author’s writing endeavors. Sparkman served as the sports editor for his high school newspaper, and he has been writing ever since. Boxes is his sixth book. In his academic positions, Sparkman wrote prolifically. Here we discover the author’s precarious position as a Southern Baptist academic with liberal politics. The liberal views reflected in his academic writing tended to cause unrest in the seminary community. One such controversy nearly ousted him from his teaching position. Sparkman addressed this head-on by writing a narrative analyzing the ten-year controversy over his writings.

Boxes succeeds in exploring some of the tensions that can arise between diverging sets of beliefs. Sparkman is a Liberal and a Southern Baptist theologian, living in the South during the Jim Crow laws. I enjoyed reading about how the author navigated these tensions and would have liked even more exposition on this topic.

Temp Sparkman’s writing is thoughtful and efficient, despite meandering at times into some jerky and inelegant passages. I noticed some confusing imagery and mixed metaphors. Generally, the writing is above average for non-fiction, though it sometimes lacks the potency necessary to be fully impactful. The book was not professionally edited. I found ten errors in the first fifty pages. I started to call out sentence fragments as errors but soon realized they were part of this author’s writing style.

As an organizational tool, Sparkman’s boxes work to create basic categories and divide areas of experience. As would be the case with any non-chronological model, some repetition was necessary to give time context to each new box or chapter. I was interested in hearing more about the relationships between the boxes, and I wonder if some of those connections were missed in service of the format. In addition, there were storylines left hanging because they didn’t belong in the box. Here is an example in which the author discusses the funeral services for his parents: “Dad's service had been at the Church of Christ, but, for her, that would've been a sacrilege. (I'll explain that in the Religion Box.)” It wasn’t as though I couldn’t wait to find out the rest of the story, but it did feel awkward each time this happened.

“The Poetry Box” is a forty-five-page collection of the author’s poems. Nature and spirituality feature prominently in the work. Sparkman employs meter in certain poems, and others are free verse. The poetry is enjoyable to read, though the section seemed a bit long at nearly one-third of the book. Here is a short stanza from “Speak Gently Today”:

“Speak gently today.
Whatever your agenda.
Whatever your demands.
What is needed now is a gentle word.
For gentleness bears on her wings
the energy of God.”

In “The Age Box,” Sparkman yields to chronology and reveals his age. At eighty-six, and having suffered a stroke, he experiences some memory and communication challenges. But, he is still thinking critically, and he is still writing. I hope I am still writing at eighty-six.

I rate Boxes 3 out of 4 stars. The author’s life story is interesting and even compelling at times. The editing errors and the hit-and-miss writing make the book ineligible for a 4-star rating. If you enjoy memoirs or autobiographies, you may appreciate this author’s stories. I enjoyed the poems and think the book will appeal to anyone who likes poetry about nature and spirituality. The last of our author’s boxes is “The Not Yet Box.” You might be surprised at what lies in this final box. You will have to read the book to find out.

Boxes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Boxes succeeds in exploring some of the tensions that can arise between diverging sets of beliefs. Sparkman is a Liberal and a Southern Baptist theologian, living in the South during the Jim Crow laws. I enjoyed reading about how the author navigated these tensions and would have liked even more exposition on this topic.
Indeed! How interesting! Thanks for your candid review!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I was interested in hearing more about the relationships between the boxes, and I wonder if some of those connections were missed in service of the format.
I'm with you on this. At the end of the day, the content is more important. This sounds really promising though, despite the editing and writing issues. To still be writing at age 86 is no mean feat.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Cecilia_L wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 16:48 Indeed! How interesting! Thanks for your candid review!
Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

inaramid wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 22:54 I'm with you on this. At the end of the day, the content is more important. This sounds really promising though, despite the editing and writing issues. To still be writing at age 86 is no mean feat.
Thanks so much for stopping by inaramid. I appreciate it.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I think it is a good idea to group the memories into "boxes" instead of using a chronology, even though I get that that was frustrating at times when something didn't belong in a particular box. I too would like to be still writing at 86 - I do hope the world is still here then and that no one would be able to fault my books' editing!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 13:29 I think it is a good idea to group the memories into "boxes" instead of using a chronology, even though I get that that was frustrating at times when something didn't belong in a particular box. I too would like to be still writing at 86 - I do hope the world is still here then and that no one would be able to fault my books' editing!
Agreed. The boxes did work to shake up the usual chronology employed in autobiographies. I almost felt like I was too hard on this author, once I found out his age. But, I didn't want to apply a different standard. I think the book would have been served well by an editor. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting.
-Nayyirah Waheed
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I didn't expect you to end on a cliffhanger! Hehe. It is so interesting how much we can learn from people over the age of seventy. They have lived through so much. I have heard brief mentions of Roosevelt's fireside chats. I bet those were all the rage back in the day, something many families sat down to every time they came on. I like the concept of the structure of the book with the box categories. I can see how this can be a challenge for the author because the areas of our life do not happen in silos. I don't think I would care for the parenthetical notations to look to another box for further explanation. That does seem a bit awkward. This is a wonderful review. Great job.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

kfwilson6 wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 17:41 I didn't expect you to end on a cliffhanger! Hehe. It is so interesting how much we can learn from people over the age of seventy. They have lived through so much. I have heard brief mentions of Roosevelt's fireside chats. I bet those were all the rage back in the day, something many families sat down to every time they came on. I like the concept of the structure of the book with the box categories. I can see how this can be a challenge for the author because the areas of our life do not happen in silos. I don't think I would care for the parenthetical notations to look to another box for further explanation. That does seem a bit awkward. This is a wonderful review. Great job.
Yes, the rare cliffhanger in non-fiction :). I'm not quite old enough to have the fireside chats in my history either, but I do like the idea of a family sitting around a radio together. I really appreciate you dropping by and commenting. Thanks so much.
-Nayyirah Waheed
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the lovely review! This seems not only to be a deep read, but also a highly inspiring one at that. I definitely hope that I am still writing at 86 too!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

gen_g wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 00:58 Thank you for the lovely review! This seems not only to be a deep read, but also a highly inspiring one at that. I definitely hope that I am still writing at 86 too!
Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!
-Nayyirah Waheed
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

The separation of his life into nine separate boxes sounds so intriguing. It's such a shame that the editing wasn't on par though. Great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

JR Mercier wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 01:15 The separation of his life into nine separate boxes sounds so intriguing. It's such a shame that the editing wasn't on par though. Great review.
Yes, it was interesting to see a non-chronological model for a memoir. It would have been a really nice book with better editing. Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting.
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”