Review by michelekathryn -- If life stinks get your head...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
michelekathryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelekathryn.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Review by michelekathryn -- If life stinks get your head...

Post by michelekathryn » 16 Jul 2018, 13:48

[Following is a volunteer review of "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A plethora of self help books can be found scattered across shelves in grocery stores and bookstores alike. Mark Wdowiak’s If Life Stinks Get Your Head Outta Your But’s catches the eye immediately with it’s charming title and accessible one hundred and twenty page length.

Wdowiak spends the first five chapters of his book advertising his primary objective: helping readers remove their blindfolds and shed their preconceived notions of what life has to offer. He describes how everyone’s belief system comes about as a result of their collective life experience and by adopting a different mindset you can become the New You. The remainder of Wdowiak’s book is broken down into the three stages necessary to adopt a new mindset: crawling, walking, and running. By the end, Wdowiak challenges readers to take the insights he’s provided and make changes in their life. He reiterates that a step in the right direction is better than nothing at all and that positive steps can lead to monumental change.

With each chapter of Wdowiak’s book ranging between two to ten pages, I never felt overwhelmed by information. In addition, Wdowiak humorous tone makes for an enjoyable read. Self help books tread a thin line: they must provide hard truths without alienating readers. Wdowiak recognizes this, stating in the first chapter that “you are a lot wiser than you think you are” and that he’s “going to take away your crutches.” His bluntness and kindness make it easy to listen to the ideas he’s presented.

Due to the length of his book, Wdowiak adopts a concise writing style. This generally works in his favor, as he’s able to present ideas without going overboard. When more details are needed, he provides them. One example of this occurs in the third chapter when Wdowiak is discussing removing one’s blindfold. He explains that all the resources you need in order to better your life already exist and gives three examples - music, painting, and literature - as way to hammer home his point.

One downside to Wdowiak’s writing style that I experienced is repetitiveness. While If Life Stinks Get Your Head Outta Your But’s only amounts to one hundred and twenty pages, Wdowiak goes over his premise repeatedly throughout each chapter. I appreciated his attempt to break things down into three stages but felt as though he ultimately didn’t stick to his own outline. Each primary idea had already been expressed in the first five chapters and the remaining twenty seven chapters ended up covering the same content. While I understand that sharing ideas multiple times can provide positive results in terms of reading comprehension, it felt like Wdowiak went overboard. One example of this ties back to Wdowiak’s discussion of blindfolds in Chapter 3. He showcases the importance of self awareness and the necessity of reaching out to readily available outside resources. This same message occurs multiple times later in the book, namely in Chapter 10 titled “When the Student Is Ready, The Teacher Appears”, and in Chapter 22’s “The Power of Awareness”.

Despite Wdowiak’s tendency to repeat himself, I greatly enjoyed If Life Stinks Get Your Head Outta Your But’s. The book is professionally edited, sporting only a few errors. Due to Wdowiak’s sense of humor and approachable writing style, I believe most readers would enjoy his book save those who oppose references to bad language. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

If life stinks get your head outta your buts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like michelekathryn's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”