Official Review: TUCK by Alain Marshall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Official Review: TUCK by Alain Marshall

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "TUCK" by Alain Marshall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Likewise, the church spread so many vilifications about King Henry ll where lies the truth? Very problematic until you realise, we're all human. Even royalty doesn’t stand apart from those frustrations which everyone faces. Their lives like everybody’s occurs reminiscent of a switchback. Any loving family’s lifetime includes all those many desires. Human or animal, unsurprisingly the mathematics and wherewithal completely add up to, obtaining satisfaction.”

Marshall, Alain. Tuck (Page 3). Kindle Edition.

Tuck by Alain Marshall is a beautiful work of non-fiction that explores the history of the west. The book is essentially “a story known to all, given it’s the most abiding folklore throughout history. Writers have had a love affair with this legend for eons. Latterly movie scriptwriters add/amend this or that to rehash the legend. The difference being, here the reader’s given the skeletal of historical facts. Confirming who the main players were and what notarised historical evidence students may seek out.” It is a beautiful interwoven narrative that explores the central idea that history has a way of repeating itself.

One of the most interesting aspects of this book was the preface. Perhaps one of the funniest prefaces ever written in the history of literature, it tells the reader about how written literature has been warped to tell a certain kind of authoritative narrative, a narrative that doesn’t necessarily expound the truth. This preface talks about a different kind of truth, an unknown truth. I love that fact that it is hilarious and very well-written, and it is clear from the preface that the author knows his stuff. After reading the preface, I was much more intrigued and drawn to the book than I had been before, and I feel that it made the book a much more pleasurable read.

I also feel that the way the stories have been connected to each other is quite beautiful. The author has done a splendid job of writing a coherent and intricate narrative that is not only informative but also well-constructed. The author has also elegantly put together different strands of the rhetoric that has been delineated in this book, and despite being a work of historical non-fiction, I didn’t find it ideologically-driven in any way.

One of the most important aspects of this book is the writing style of the author. There is an unusual and rare elegance that the author seems to have that is quite charming in the narrative. Perhaps due to this work being one of non-fiction, it becomes much more important to have an elegant writing style, and the author doesn’t disappoint in that area.

For all of these reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I honestly believe that this book deserves this rating. It is ideally suitable for people who love non-fiction and history buffs.

TUCK
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like 420waystoreachthesun's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Thank you for introducing Allan to me. Being a lover of history I think I'll fall in love with his/her work. I have always craved for more knowledge about the history of the west, I would surely be going for this one.

I appreciate this information!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Though I'm not a history buff, your description of Marshall's elegant writing style has piqued my interest. Thanks for the recommendation!
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for the review. I am not a history buff and this is definitely not my genre. The author's writing style sounds interesting and I am glad you enjoyed the read.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I so much crave to know more about the history of the West and after reading the review on TUCK by Alain Marshall am sure it will be a great source of information on the same. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A non-fiction book that explores the history of the west sounds intriguing. The book aims to show that history repeats itself. I am glad you enjoyed the hilarious preface and that you found the book well-constructed, coherent, and well written. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I can't claim to be a history buff! However, I find the author's elegant writing style quite intriguing. Thanks for the enlightening review.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

This books tells a very popular historical story. I don't think I would be interested in it because I don't usually read historical fictions.
fndirangu20
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: the girl who knew da vinci
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by fndirangu20 »

"This preface talks about a different kind of truth, an unknown truth. I love that fact that it is hilarious and very well-written, and it is clear from the preface that the author knows his stuff. After reading the preface, I was much more intrigued and drawn to the book than I had been before, and I feel that it made the book a much more pleasurable read. "

The book sure seems to be entertaining. Thank you for the review
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I like that this book is factual but funny. It's hard to read dry non-fiction. It's also hard to know what's true when something is "based on true events." Sounds like this book is well-written and easy to get lost in.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

This sounds like a very interesting book. I enjoy history books so I will definitely add this to my reading list. I like the theme that history repeats itself. Thank you for the thorough review.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

History is not one of those things I would read about, but your review is quite elaborate and the book seems well written.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

The fact that the book tells a popular history story makes a little fascinating. Although I am not a history fan. Great review.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

From the cover, I thought this would be fantasy, but I am pleased to be wrong! Henry VIII's conflict with the church is something I would like to learn more about, as I am sure it was not so black and white as I learned in school. Thanks for your review.
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

Sounds like an interesting read however history is not up my alley. Will recommend it to others though, great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”