Official Review: Lessons of Nature by Don F. Pickett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Lessons of Nature by Don F. Pickett

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lessons of Nature" by Don F. Pickett.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what makes the world work the way it does? Maybe you've had trouble sleeping and wondered how it is that nature works together so well that everything hasn't completely fallen apart yet. Or you watched a post-apocalyptic show where law and order are nonexistent and people strive to create new communities and live according to their new rules. I know I sure have, and it's often easy to get lost in thought about how and why things are the way they are.

Lessons of Nature, from a Modern-Day Shepherd by Don F. Pickett is comprised of 15 lessons of and from nature, and how they relate not only to our ordinary lives but our spiritual ones as well. Lessons include how animals know things instinctually such as when to fly south for the winter, when a storm is coming before even humans do, or the importance of a strong foundation for your home and your spirit. Each chapter begins with a poem that conveys the lesson, and then Don goes into further detail. The way he links his poetry, the lessons, spirituality and general learning together is fascinating and masterful.

The lessons in the book are widely varied, but Don does a terrific job of bringing them all around to how they relate to our lives. Lessons include things such as growing from struggles, the dangers of taking shortcuts and the difference between nature's laws and society's laws. While some of these lessons seem very straightforward, Don does a terrific job of presenting new information and doing it in an interesting way. "Modern-Day Shepherd" isn't in the title just because it sounds good, it's in the title because the lessons include the point of view of a shepherd. I really enjoyed these segments, seeing things the way a shepherd would, and learning about the lessons they gleam from their solitary lives in nature. In the first chapter Don explains how some things can’t be taught and require a disconnect, something we struggle for these days with a constant connection to everything. It includes an “ancient Islamic story” of a boy who was sent to the best scholars and learned everything but was sent away again to learn what cannot be taught. His master sent him to the mountains with 400 sheep and told him not to return until they were 1000, and during that time of solitude he learned what cannot be taught.

Other really fascinating tidbits I picked up include how anthills are created to resist flooding, the origin of the word "humble" (from "humus", which means "ground level", as in soil, which is "rich and fertile"), troublesome English Kings and Queens and "positive law" - when law is the only thing that allows or disallows an act, not morality. There's also just the right amount of discussion on how seasons and days work due to the rotation and movement of the earth. I found myself glued to the writing throughout the entire 120-ish pages, and found the amount of time spent on each section to be just enough depth without getting heavy or dull.

I've read a lot of poetry over the last couple decades, and it seems the majority of it is free verse. I was delighted when I saw that not only do Don's poems (mostly) stick to a rhyme scheme, they even use meter! The first poem, for example, is made up of 4-line ABAB stanzas (the first and third lines rhyme, as do the second and fourth). This holds true with the whole poem, so the second line of the first stanza rhymes with the fourth line of the third and so on. They also adhere to 8 syllables in the first and third lines and 7 in the second and fourth. Many of the 15 poems are similar, but some mix things up, such as one made up of 3-line AAB CCB stanzas (the first and second lines of each stanza rhyme, and then the last line rhymes with the last line of the next stanza), and in this one each first line is 6 syllables, with the second and third being 7 and 8 respectively. There were a handful of times that a line wouldn't conform to the number of syllables or a rhyme would be imperfect, but as a whole I'd easily rate the poetry 3.5 out of 4 stars alone! The poetry is also very straightforward, so that while each has a good amount to convey, they don't hide their meanings. They're concise and a great way to reflect on the lessons in each section quickly.

Lessons of Nature, from a Modern-Day Shepherd by Don F. Pickett is a fascinating book, and it walked the thin line between entertaining and informative perfectly. The poetry helped mix things up, and the lessons managed to explore spirituality and a devotion to God just as much as they explained important lessons from nature that we use every day in our lives. My rating is a very solid 4 out of 4 stars, and I can easily recommend it to anyone who likes poetry, enjoys learning things when they read, is Christian and/or is interested in how and why nature is the way it is.

Lessons of Nature
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I have often times asked myself and others, why things work the way they do. I will, therefore, need to read this book to get some of the answers. Thank you for a wonderful review.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Oh my, way a detailed review we have here. I guess it due to how heavily the book is embedded with so much information..

I appreciate this, and I am going for the book!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Poems about nature are among my favorites. This sounds like a lovely collection. Thanks for the recommendation!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

This sounds like a fascinating book. Inspirational stories and poetry - just my cup of tea!
Thanks for the well-written review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for the great description of these poems. I agree with your excitement about finding modern poetry that follow a structured rhyme scheme and meter. Sounds great. Thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I love that this is a modern day collection that tells us why things work they way they do from a Christian perspective. It sounds like something that would deepen your faith. Thanks for the introduction.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
melindasuenlee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melindasuenlee.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by melindasuenlee »

Wow, I love your review of this book. It was enjoyable to read and conveyed your enthusiasm for it. I have a hard time reading reviews when they lack a "hook" and merely go through a synopsis of the book with bland commentary. However, you have captured the essence of the book and truly shared what you enjoyed about it.
Ubah199
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ubah199 »

I often ask myself why did things happen this way i think my answers are written in this book
Rainsea
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rainsea »

It's so interesting and very informative.
I love to read such book like this.
Thank you😄😃
Aatika Hanif
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aatika Hanif »

This lesson is all about nature the auther of this book is donF.pickett.its sounds like something that would deepen your faith it's so interesting and very informative I like nature and I love this lesson

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”