Official Review: Life, Love and Other Four-Letter Words

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Life, Love and Other Four-Letter Words

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life, Love and Other Four-Letter Words" by Louis F. Spagna.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Louis (Lou) Spagna in his book Life, Love and Other Four Letter Words: Essays From Life's Rollercoaster, shares practically his whole life with more than a hundred stories. His idea to write this book came from wanting his grandchildren to know who he was, as he reflected on not knowing much about his own grandparents. I think this is a great idea!

Lou has had many interests, work and travel experiences, and close calls of death. His many interests include things like judo, snow skiing, cooking, and sailing, to name a few. He has worked on construction sites, at gas stations, and has even operated heavy machinery. Lou was a Radioman in the Navy during the Vietnam War and spent four years living in Guam. He enjoys sailing and describes what it is like to sail a boat and the problems that may happen when at seas.

I like the work experiences that came in handy later in his life. I like when Lou writes about his wife, Deb the best. I really like the way Lou and his wife, Deb use solar power and have a garden at their home in North Carolina. I think it is great that they like to sail and travel. Photos were shown throughout the book, which really helped visualize the people and things written about in his book. I also enjoyed reading about his childhood and growing up in a tough situation. His poems were touching.

Lou shares about his family, holidays, girlfriends, cars, and so many other things. At times, I felt like Lou was writing a Christmas letter to his friends and family, updating everyone on what he has been doing. I did not particularly like some of the details about the sailboats’ engines or about his love life with his girlfriends. I like the stories of his sex life the least. Some of the stories were repeated several times and some just had too many details about what food he ate, the weather, the boat’s speed and mileage as a few examples.

Though I do enjoy reading autobiographies and stories of people, I would have to rate this book a 2 out of 4 stars. The book was more like a record or journal of many detailed descriptions that were of interest to the author. There were also more than ten spelling errors and other grammatical errors found.

I would not rate the book a 1 out of 4 stars because I liked many of the stories, poems, and experiences shared by the author. If the book were to be well edited and revised (cutting out or combining the repeated stories), I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars.

Family and friends would enjoy reading the detailed accounts of Lou’s interests, experiences, and travels the most. If you are interested in sailing and traveling and like to hear other people’s stories, you just may like this book as well.

If you don’t like memoirs with a lot of details and prefer fiction or fantasy, you would probably like Lou's real-life stories the least.

Life, Love and Other Four-Letter Words
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Wow! This sounds like a book that I just reviewed. A very interesting memoir depicting many different interests of the author. Thank you for your balanced review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I've been seeing a lot of these types of memoirs lately. Thanks for your descriptive review.
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for this review. I agree with you that it is a great idea for a grandparent to make sure his grandchildren know who he was. I am not a fan of memoirs and will give this one a miss.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

This doesn't interest me right now, but I appreciate your honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”