Official Review: From Hill Town to Strieby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Official Review: From Hill Town to Strieby

Post by ccrews0408 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Hill Town to Strieby" by Margo Lee Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams is a historical non-fiction work that shows the genealogy of her ancestors and the development of their community, Strieby, formerly known as Hill Town. Williams begins tracing her ancestry from 1850, before the Civil War. Through extensive research, she tells of the progress of the African Americans in the community going from slavery to freedom. Because of notable figures such as Rev. Islay Walden, African Americans in that area had the opportunity to receive an education and a place to worship.

Williams’ research spans over many years and she provides remarkable documentation to show just how much of an impact the education received in Strieby had on the literacy of the people of the community based on national standards. She also dedicates a portion of the book to chronicle the life of Rev. Islay Walden, an ex-slave and also the first African American to the graduate from the New Brunswick Theological Seminary (NBTS) and the first postmaster of Strieby. He was also a notable poet of the 19th century.

I believe Williams did an amazing job researching and organizing this book. It’s filled with pictures of her ancestors, historical sites, and landmarks. She has also included census records and WWI draft records in certain sections as a point of reference. The amount of research that went into this book is both extensive and impressive. I like that it is divided up into five parts, with the first three parts describing the progress of the Strieby community. The fourth part is the complete genealogy of four generations of the Hill and Lassiter families. The fifth part briefly touches on what’s happening in Strieby today.

I rated From Hill Town to Strieby 4 out of 4 stars. I can’t think of anything she could have done to improve this book. I noticed only two small editing errors. One editing error was a missing comma and the other, a spacing error. I did, however, read one Amazon review stating that the book didn’t format well on his Kindle and he was unable to read it. With that being said, it may be best to buy a hard copy.

All in all, I really enjoyed reading about this important piece of history. I think anyone who enjoys historical non-fiction or someone who aspires to write about their family’s history and wants to see how it’s done, would enjoy this book. As earlier stated, it may not do well on an e-reader, but I think this is the perfect hard copy to add to any collection.

From Hill Town to Strieby
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ccrews0408's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Your review has spoken to me, I so much enjoy history... I must join you in celebrating Williams for putting together this amazing piece. I have always had the craving to know more about the American Civil War!!!

I would be reading this book, and soon.

Thank you!!!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like an interesting family history. Thanks for the tip about the Kindle format, also!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your high praise of the author really elevates this book. I am very interested in this book after reading your review. Great work!
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Raju Chacko »

The Reviewer has a nice, uncomplicated, original, easily flowing writing style that deserves a compliment. The review is sure to arouse sufficient interest in a casual reader's/ bookworm's mind so as to make him/ her want to really check it out.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read several reviews about this book, and they all seem complimentary. Thanks so much for your take on this one. It does sound like it's got some great information. Nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Post by Raya raymond »

I've never thought about reading about family history or even writing about it. I didn't even think of the existence of such a book. The way you reviewed it make it sound so interesting.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”