Official Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Official Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author

Post by NRoach »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Life and Lessons of a Young Author" by Sunayna Prasad.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Life and Lessons of a Young Author, by Sunayna Prasad, details her experiences in writing and publishing. It's a short, snappy read that comes it at around 30 pages, depending on how you count them.
I think that Prasad had two goals going into The Life and Lessons of a Young Author: To retell her own story, and to provide advice on writing and getting your writing published. As a young writer myself, only a couple of years younger than Prasad, who gives her age as 25, I was curious to crack this one open and see what she had to say.

The first question I had was “Who is this and why should I take their advice?” I think that's a good place to start when it comes to this kind of pseudo-memoir, let-me-tell-you-how-it's-done book. Prasad, though, has two books to her name, both of which she's upfront about having removed from the market due to “very little success”. One book was self-published, something that I think we can all agree carries no inherent guarantee of quality, and the other was “published” by a “publisher” that apparently saw fit to “publish” the second book with a plain white cover. That's the most confusing part to me, as any publisher worth their salt will have invested in your book; if they don't care enough to give you even a minimal cover, what are they doing that you couldn't?

Ultimately, I didn't see anything to justify Prasad's self-styled authority. Two books she's happy with, a plethora of trunked projects from the early days, and an admitted lack of success are not solid foundations for a book that promises to give advice. There are countless authors under 25 with the same story of not hitting the big time, and not a massive shortage of authors under 25 who did hit the big time.

All of that said, I have zero issue with the advice Prasad gives. She seems to know how the publishing industry works, and she seems to know how beta-reading and the actual nuts and bolts of writing work. At no point did I disagree with her actual advice, but I also don't think it's anything you couldn't get from loitering on a writers' forum for a few weeks, reading and asking questions. Much of the advice is fundamentally surface level, such as advising you to print out your work and proofread it repeatedly, or to avoid giving it to friends and family for critique, or even to make sure that your protagonist struggles and is imperfect. The basic pipeline of “Writer-Agent-Publisher-Reader” is covered but basic is exactly what it is.

I give The Life and Lessons of a Young Author 2 out of 4 stars. It's fine. If you're an absolute newbie to writing, you could do much worse than reading this. At the same time, if you're not an absolute newbie you'll probably know every piece of advice this book contains and more. From a biographical perspective it's not particularly interesting because, as Prasad very clearly says, she has seen very little success. At 30 pages and for a dollar or two it might be worth a look if you are a newbie, but if you're not, don't bother.

The Life and Lessons of a Young Author
View: on Bookshelves

Like NRoach's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I was looking at this book to review. The title led me to believe that she was a successful author, and after looking at her Amazon page, I decided against the review because I thought she was trying to sell something that she shouldn't. Your review just proved my beliefs.
I really enjoyed it, thanks so much!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

As a person who is very interested in reading and writing, I will give this book a read. It is very thoughtful of the author for writing this book. Thank you for your balanced review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

At no point did I disagree with her actual advice, but I also don't think it's anything you couldn't get from loitering on a writers' forum for a few weeks, reading and asking questions.
I would ask the same questions you mentioned and come to the same conclusion you did. I appreciate your insightful review!
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

crediblereading2 wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 14:50 As a person who is very interested in reading and writing, I will give this book a read. It is very thoughtful of the author for writing this book. Thank you for your balanced review.
Thanks! I'm glad I helped you come to a decision. Like I said, there is some decent advice in there.
Kate S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-s.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Kate S »

If this was more of a what-not-to-do book, I might be more lenient with her credentials (for both self-publishing and traditional publishing). I agree with you though, there's very little writing advice people can't find on the Internet (you can find podcasts and blogs for publishing from people who actually work in the industry).

I will skip this book. Thanks for the review. :tiphat:
Alena_Surya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alena-surya.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Alena_Surya »

Kate S wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 18:00 If this was more of a what-not-to-do book, I might be more lenient with her credentials (for both self-publishing and traditional publishing).
Some parts of the book are like what-not-to-do but not too much of it.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I have to agree with you for the most part. I've read the book because I write too, and I've learned some things I didn't know but overall I can't say I that it helped me write better.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”