Official Review: 10 Steps to Becoming a Highly Effective ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: 10 Steps to Becoming a Highly Effective ...

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "10 Steps to Becoming a Highly Effective Public Speaker" by Tamuri LeAnne Richardson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Speaking in public is one of the most common fears in our society. Tamuri LeAnne Richardson’s book, 10 Steps to Becoming a Highly Effective Public Speaker, is a short, 25-page guide designed to transform anyone into a public speaking expert. Her book is separated into ten chapters. Each chapter concisely describes a different step of mastering public speaking. She also explores what an audience may look for during a presentation or speech.

I enjoyed reading this short guide. The content of the book was excellently formatted into sub-sections and chapters. The author emphasized certain points by using capital letters, italics, and typing particular words in bold. There was also a cartoon drawing on page 23. All of this made the book easy on the eyes. The steps were also easy for me to understand and follow along.

I have read many books on public speaking as it is a topic which I am always interested in. Unlike others which I have read, I really appreciated that this book spoke about the importance of interacting with an audience before and after a presentation. I think this is crucial to delivering an excellent speech because it would help a speaker to become familiar with his/her audience. This will definitely help the speaker to become more relatable and likable.

Another great feature of this book was that it encouraged speakers to let their personality show during their presentation. Reflecting on my own experience, I realized that in my past presentations, I always hesitated to let people see my personality because I thought it was unprofessional. This book reassured me that a speaker’s personality can help them connect with their audience more effectively.

The concise nature of this book was excellent. The author was able to trim unnecessary information, while still preserving the book’s vital points. The examples provided were also short, but helpful. Furthermore, the book did not have a lengthy introduction and conclusion. The brief, motivational thoughts of the author at the start and at the end of the book were adequate. I would describe this book as being action-oriented as it focused on what one must do in order to become an effective public speaker.

There is nothing which I disliked about this book. In my opinion, it was interesting, helpful, and well-written. It also seemed to be professionally edited because I only saw a couple of small errors which did not distract me from reading. Therefore, I am rating this book 4 out of 4 stars. 10 Steps to Becoming a Highly Effective Public Speaker will appeal to anyone who would like to improve their public speaking skills.

10 Steps to Becoming a Highly Effective Public Speaker
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I was doubtful of the effectiveness of this book because it's so short, but it sounds like it is surprisingly helpful. Now I want to check it out. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I like that it is concise, it allows one to easily re-reading the guide when preparing for presentations, in addition to preparing the actual information to be presented. Therefore, I can understand how the book is geared towards action, instead of simply offering information. Thanks for the great review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Thanks for the review. This is the kind of book I have been looking for as I struggle to speak in public because of my shyness. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from it.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Unlike others which I have read, I really appreciated that this book spoke about the importance of interacting with an audience before and after a presentation. I think this is crucial to delivering an excellent speech because it would help a speaker to become familiar with his/her audience. This will definitely help the speaker to become more relatable and likable.
Yes, I agree! I've definitely found this to be true when I've been a member of the audience. It's natural to connect more because of the interaction. Thanks for the great review!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Books such as these are really inspirational and helpful. I will definitely read this in the future. Thank you for your insightful review.
Kate S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-s.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Kate S »

Public speaking can be so terrifying. It's great when professors have podiums you can hide behind. I've done my fair share of presentations and have helped other people make their presentations (PowerPoints) look more eye-catching. I'm curious to see what tips are in this book, and how much matches to what I've learned over the years through trial and error. And well, the part about interacting with the audience before and after is the most difficult part in my opinion. Imagine asking people a question as an opener and getting no responses. Does the book offer ways of negating awkward silences? I tend to skip over opening questions (or interacting with the audience) because I don't trust the audience to actually answer. Though this brings up the conundrum of: if I don't trust the audience, how can they feel connected to what I'm saying?

I'm glad the guide is only 25 pages, and doesn't have the author congratulating themselves for this self-help. I've written the title in my notebook to get back to eventually.

Thanks for the concise review! :tiphat:
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Kate S wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 18:29 Public speaking can be so terrifying. It's great when professors have podiums you can hide behind. I've done my fair share of presentations and have helped other people make their presentations (PowerPoints) look more eye-catching. I'm curious to see what tips are in this book, and how much matches to what I've learned over the years through trial and error. And well, the part about interacting with the audience before and after is the most difficult part in my opinion. Imagine asking people a question as an opener and getting no responses. Does the book offer ways of negating awkward silences? I tend to skip over opening questions (or interacting with the audience) because I don't trust the audience to actually answer. Though this brings up the conundrum of: if I don't trust the audience, how can they feel connected to what I'm saying?

I'm glad the guide is only 25 pages, and doesn't have the author congratulating themselves for this self-help. I've written the title in my notebook to get back to eventually.
Thanks for the concise review! :tiphat:
Hope this short guide doesn't disappoint, I'm sure it will offer some helpful pointers :) Depending on the situation, I might be too scared to interact with the audience before, but I think if it's a small audience, it will be better to just ask around how everyone's doing, maybe compliment a few people on their attire - that sort of thing might help to put you at ease. Most of these self-motivational books include the author's story and achievements, and I was glad this one just got to the point and didn't waste time with the self-congratulating.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Would of been nice to have read this book during high school or college. I hated getting in front of the class for presentations. Didn't help that I was shy anyways. I hope this book is useful to a lot of people. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Anjhel12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Anjhel12 »

This book is very helpful especially for those who have stage fright.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”