Official Review: Excellence Is Not By Luck

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Official Review: Excellence Is Not By Luck

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Excellence Is Not By Luck" by Tony Agenmonmen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How many times have you made a wrong decision because your ‘boss’ said so only to regret it later? Have you developed your own principles that you hold onto firmly at all times? In his book, Excellence Is Not By Luck: Taking Charge In Challenging Moments, Tony Agenmonmen reveals some of the tough moments he handled while working as a Brand Manager. Tony retired from active duty in Nigeria Breweries in 2016. His experience in marketing spans thirty-two years.

It is said that experience is the best teacher. However, it is completely pointless to learn from our own experiences when we have wells of information where we could draw lessons from. Tony expounds about marketing and the management of crises in this book. It includes situations where he had to persist in order to ensure that the right decisions were accepted. One thing he notes is that people are confronted with crossroad decisions each day. He adds that there will be no use if one sits down at the crossroad hoping that all the roads will suddenly merge so as to make life easier. Throughout the book, he is able to prove to the reader that what he is putting across is executable. The efficiency of the use of research in marketing is also explored.

The first question one might raise is the essence of this book when they are countless others in the bookstores. The pieces of advice that Tony gives in this book are not theoretical. They are based on what he actually went through while working for Nigeria Breweries. The stories he shares in the book are very unique as well. They reinforce the messages being passed across. Most of the stories in this book are mainly on the crises that Tony had to handle. From these stories, the author is able to draw out lessons that the reader could apply.

One thing that I liked about this book is that the author was requested to write it by his friends and colleagues. The author had no intention of ever writing a book. This is a clear evidence that these people saw a wealth of experience in him. This was not to go unrecorded, and I can attest to the fact that the book is indeed a jewel. The only shortcoming I saw was the use of actual names of people who were involved in various scenarios. I cannot substantiate the impact of these revelations on their careers. However, this is another indication of the author’s level of transparency.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book has been edited properly. The tips on marketing and management of crises are also very good and practical. I recommend this book to those who are practicing or studying Marketing. It is also good to note that everyone can read this book since at one point in life we will have to manage a crisis, directly or indirectly.

Excellence Is Not By Luck
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Kibetious's review? Post a comment saying so!
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Reading your review I wonder if we really learn from someone else´s experience. I definitely think we should. But more often than not we learn the lesson when we live through it ourselves. That won´t keep me from trying, though.
I think it´s really important to take good decisions and the point you mention about crossroads is so common and we need to learn to overcome it.
I don´t care especially about marketing but I think this book contains important lessons, so I´ll give it a try. Thanks for a great review.
Liz_Mac
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Liz_Mac »

It will be very nice to read a book that talks more of the reality of marketing and the struggles\challenges faced...A true life story...it's surely a wanna read book for me.
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

I really like the title of this book and I enjoyed your review. I am looking forward to reading this.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

These days there seems to be some level of marketing required for most jobs. As it is such a relevant topic, I can understand why the author's friends and colleagues urged him to write from his expertise. I found your review very engaging--thanks for the recommendation!
Crainbow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crainbow.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Crainbow »

I feel like this book might come in handy soon so I might just read it. As they say no knowledge is a waste. I believe it's better to learn from others experiences because it will help you make better decisions and save your time. Nice review.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I love that the title has such truth to it. Excellence does require hard work, and it sounds like the author expounds on that very well in this book. It is really neat to know that the author’s colleagues requested that he write this book. That really supports the experience that the author shares.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I have so enjoyed your review, the writing is impeccable. I therefore trust your judgment of this book I would be going for it...

Thank you so much....
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Great review! I think the author made a good choice by agreeing to write something which would be valuable as an indirect mentorship point of contact.
misatifelix
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misatifelix.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by misatifelix »

We must not always learn from our own experience, its good to learn from others. The review is great definitely a number one read for me.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I enjoyed reading this well-written review. Although we do learn by making our own mistakes, this book sounds like a good resource, and give the decision maker some ideas that will help them select a practical course of action. The examples provided and useful tips should be something that others can draw from to help them in facing their own workplace challenges, particularly for those in Marketing or starting their business career.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I enjoyed reading this well-written review. Although we do learn by making our own mistakes, this book sounds like a good resource, and should give the decision maker ideas that will help in the selection of a practical course of action. The examples provided and useful tips should be something that others can draw from to help them in facing their own workplace challenges, particularly for those in Marketing or starting their business career.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks all for your positive and very good feedback and comments on the review. They are very helpful both now and in other future reviews.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”