Review by Jkhorner -- If life stinks get your head outta...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Jkhorner
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Review by Jkhorner -- If life stinks get your head outta...

Post by Jkhorner » 10 Jul 2018, 21:02

[Following is a volunteer review of "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If Life Stinks, Ge Your Head Outta Your But’s by Mike Wdowiak is a refreshing approach to the question of success. A practical philosophy for the everyday man (or woman), If Life Stinks is both gracious and blunt in its advice.

After five introductory chapters, the book is split into three areas: Crawling, Walking, and Running. It’s nearly impossible to spoil this book as the main tenets of Wdowiak’s philosophy are laid out in the first chapter. The main theme is taking responsibility for your life. He expands by explaining that you have all the tools you need to be successful; you must simply be prepared, able, willing, and committed to take the necessary actions.

My favorite takeaway from the book is the KISS mentality. Instead of the traditional “keep it simple, stupid,” the author suggests the phrase, “keep it simple, student.” I like this a lot, as it promotes lifelong learning and allows you to grant yourself grace when you aren’t perfect.

One thing I like about this book is the tone. I felt the author’s presence in his writing; it truly was a conversation rather than heartless diatribe! The writing is informal because the author professes not to be an intellectual. Personal stories add humor and humanity to the quite thorough trains of logic, but they are skillfully sparingly included. The author’s goal is to help you realize your potential to achieve success, and he stays faithful to that purpose throughout the entire book. I find this admirable.

While the writing is pleasantly conversational, it is a bit repetitive and verbose. Perhaps had Mr. Wdowiak enlisted the help of an intellectual he would have been able to condense the book significantly. I feel this would make his thoughts more accessible and likely to be read by the general populace. His thoroughness does him credit, it just takes a lot of reading to reach each point.

I was pleasantly surprised to find only a smattering of typos and grammatical errors throughout the book; despite the personal tone, the editing is quite professional. I did find the title a bit annoying, however, as there should not be an apostrophe in "but's." If this wasn’t my favorite book to read, at least it wasn’t painful. In fact, the only downsides of If Life Stinks are its wordiness and personal disagreement. For example, the author states as a founding principle that there is no right or wrong opinions, only different ones. I disagree. I think that statement is far too broad. But my opinion on the matter did not cloud my understanding nor enjoyment of the rest of the book.

I don’t know that this is the best book about achieving success, but it is certainly a good one, accessible to everyone. I can find no good reason not to give it 4 out of 4 stars. If you’re looking for something to help guide your mindset toward success, I’d gladly recommend this book.

If life stinks get your head outta your buts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jkhorner's review? Post a comment saying so!

FictionLover
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: How To Develop Good Study Habits by T.G.Dawood
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover » 17 Jul 2018, 08:38

I enjoyed your review. I liked the book, too, and thought some of the same things. He is a bit verbose and repetitive, but for people who are new to this type of thinking, I believe that maybe be necessary.

Also, that unneeded apostrophe got to me, too. Especially because of how hard our reviews are rated grammatically. I was wondering if I was going to get points off my review for his bad grammar! LOL! :D
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”