Official Review: The Alcohol Memoirs by Misty J Moreton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Official Review: The Alcohol Memoirs by Misty J Moreton

Post by strawberrysab »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Alcohol Memoirs" by Misty J Moreton.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Alcohol Memoirs: A Fun Place for Drunks, Drug Users, and Voyeurs by Misty J. Moreton is a collection of 165 writings and a bunch of so-called “quickies”, gathered from all over the U.S.A., that gives a funny, erotic, sometimes grotesque picture of all the stupid things that people do while drunk.

The tipsy gestures range, from having wild sex and not remembering anything the morning after, to sniffing panties, to getting lost literally one block away from home, to passing out on sideways, on top of speaker boxes, on trucks, on couches in random apartments. This is just to mention a few.

Every recollection is characterised by a closing witticism from the author, in a sort of advice column style.

Most of the stories are nothing more than shenanigans; some of them innocent, some others gone terribly wrong. For the readers who have gone through this kind of young-and-stupid phase and have their own memories they could share, there is a good chance you might identify with some of the stories told. I personally did, but will plead the fifth if confronted about it.

While some recollections are so weak that they failed to evoke any kind of feeling, there are a few which left a deep mark, being the result of a traumatic past. I was especially moved by Dangerous Times, a story of physical abuse, where the author regrets getting mad at his mother and telling her she was a horrible mom because she would sit there and let his father beat him and his older sister. From a Vietnam Vet is another soulful one, where a Vietnam vet recalls the horrors of war and how that experience impacted her life and her negative vision of society. In Revenge, instead, a former aviator gets her chance to enact revenge on the man who raped her after getting her drunk.

I have to warn you that, like the title suggests, a good half of the stories contains graphic sex of all sorts. While it is generally known that alcohol has a boosting effect on libido, I would not swear to the authenticity of some stories which feel a bit over the top. In the same way, there are recollections so pointless that have no reason to exist. (Do we really need to read about someone who did not know the side effects of asparagus?) In cases like the latter, the author’s closing comment ends up being more interesting than the recollection itself.

While I understand that this is a collection of memories with a common thread, I would have appreciated some kind of order. The recollections are random and not organized. Some kind of subdivision, even ironic, like The-Hot-and-Bothered-Team, The Amnesiacs or The-Vengeful-Squad would have made some order and warned the readers about the content.

As for the editing, I found very few errors, but it is impossible to say if it was a proofreading slip or if they were intentional, left from the original writers.

The book ends with the invitation from Moreton to contact her if you want to submit your own story for a second collection. While I am sure she can still gather loads of drunk adventures, this first book was brimming with thin recollections that felt like fillers. As much as I understand the enthusiasm of publishing two books instead of one, some stories could have easily been left aside to make room for more interesting tales.

For all the reasons above, I decided to rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. While it is certainly constructive to be faced, in a lighthearted and often sexy way, with the consequences of too much drinking, I was left with a general feeling of chaos. The idea behind the book is good, but it needs to be reorganized.

I recommend it, for a start, to any heavy drinker who was lucky (so far) that nothing bad happened to them (yet). The amount of sexual content makes this book unsuitable to that portion of the audience who might not appreciate the excess of erotic acrobatics.

The Alcohol Memoirs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like strawberrysab's review? Post a comment saying so!
Berry :wine:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The excessive sexual content isn't my cup of tea, but I appreciate your honest review!
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Great review! It's too bad that the disorganized quality and excessive sex scenes kept it from its potential. I don't think I'll be reading this one any time soon.
strawberrysab

Post by strawberrysab »

Cecilia_L wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 10:53 The excessive sexual content isn't my cup of tea, but I appreciate your honest review!
Thank you! I have to say, it didn’t bother me too much, but it took away a lot from the main point, which was supposed to be the alcohol component :confusion-shrug:
strawberrysab

Post by strawberrysab »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 11:28 Great review! It's too bad that the disorganized quality and excessive sex scenes kept it from its potential. I don't think I'll be reading this one any time soon.
It’s definitely not a reading for everyone. Thank you anyway for checking my review 🤗
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

Personally, I have no story I could tell, but I'm always curious about people with different quirks and choices than me. I'd like to read the book just for that.
strawberrysab

Post by strawberrysab »

DathanReeves wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 13:23 Personally, I have no story I could tell, but I'm always curious about people with different quirks and choices than me. I'd like to read the book just for that.
Then you won’t be disappointed. The people who sent their memories are disparate, to say the least. Plenty of different choices and motives behind their stories.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I guess the author intends it to be humorous but because of all the flaws in the editing, and the potential harm it could create, it was kept from its purpose. Thank you for your honest review.
strawberrysab

Post by strawberrysab »

crediblereading2 wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 14:28 I guess the author intends it to be humorous but because of all the flaws in the editing, and the potential harm it could create, it was kept from its purpose. Thank you for your honest review.
That was certainly the intention. It’s my feeling that the author somehow failed to convey it.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

erotic acrobatics...ummm no thanks
I don't really enjoy peoples "this one time I got drunk" stories in general so this one is not for me.

Great review though :)
strawberrysab

Post by strawberrysab »

kfwilson6 wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 13:25 erotic acrobatics...ummm no thanks
I don't really enjoy peoples "this one time I got drunk" stories in general so this one is not for me.

Great review though :)
:lol2: Thank you for taking the time to read my review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”