Review by osayuwamen6 -- The Altitude Journals

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
osayuwamen6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osayuwamen6.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Review by osayuwamen6 -- The Altitude Journals

Post by osayuwamen6 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review by David J. Mauro
By Osayuwamen Osagie> 10 July 2018, 3:03

[Following is the review: "The-Altitude-Journals "]

This book is about the author Dave who was a financial planner at age fourty four he has had a good life. In his quest for where he could fit in, in the earlier part of his life he was hoping he could throw an ax during the Olympic sport because he was good at it, unfortunately by that time it wasn't yet a featured sport. Danny his Elder brother was an excellent baseball player while Dave moved on despite all the sufferings, he struggled to survive and got married to jenny they had two children but somewhere along the line they parted ways and Dave moved out of the house.

Its quite amazing to know that despite all Dave had gone through he was still optimistic, he believed some day he could love again. When he moved out of his sisters house, he rented an apartment and moved in with his two Sons, he had dreamt of becoming a climber haven been trained for several months though he had gone for therapy in a bid to regain himself after all that has happened to him.

While Ty Hardt had worked for several years as an evening news anchor, ABC affiliate believed in him and so he accepted a challenge to climb the continent's most dangerous mountain with a rough pathway, he bought several books about Denali and there was a possible occurrence that might result from a failed altitude but he wasn't discouraged. He then traveled to Denali with Ty and his team members, they were involved in series of training that enhanced his mountain climbing skills which eventually turned out to be useful when he went to kenya for Kilimanjaro summit.

Lin came into Dave's life at the point when he least expected, haven made several failed attempt to get a committed spouse until Lin came and rekindled the fire of love he was felt. They met through dating website and since then she was supportive, she supported Dave in his adventure, she brought a spark of love into Dave's life but he had this sense of insecurity whenever he was with her and was skeptical about professing his love for Lin at that time. When he was on a trip to Kenya he thought about Lin and the thought of her lingered on in his mind, at some point he called to speak with his children, mother and Lin to let them know that he made it to Kilimanjaro mountain top which was an altitude.

Meanwhile, he had already started developing feelings for Lin before he left for Kenya and so during his visit to Kenya he learnt a lot of things from his stay at the camp to his journey through the hills and valleys of Kenya made him discovered who he really was and his love for Lin grew stronger. He also learnt a thing or two from his team members: Ty, Brian, Richard and the others.

While I kept reading this book at some point I struggled with the question of what made Dave traveled that far to Africa since it appears at that time what he needed the most in his life had just arrived. On a second thought  I wandered if it could be because he wasn't too sure if Lin was what he wanted. So while i was dazed with these thought on how to figure out what it was, still I read on and so I found out that, it was his love for natures beauty and his adventurous desire that made him go on that trip. I think it was worth it.

When Dave returned home from Kilimanjaro summit he was able to summon the courage to profess his love for Lin, he embraced life as it came and he was purposeful, always hoping to have a best of life before death could set in. He had a lot of experience couple with his offstage life experience, and then the thought of climbing Mount Elbrus came along.

In a nutshell Dave's  journey from Denali summit, Kilimanjaro summit, Elbrus summit, Carstensz pyramid, on down to Everest summit was a remarkable experience. Haven read this book i have this to say that the author is an excellent narrator. I personally learned from reading this book, "that it is best to discover who you are and stand for what you believe".

This book will be appealing to people that love nature and all that comes with it and to those that aspire to become climbers. No doubt it was a great read for me, its a nonfictional book packed with real life experiences and the editing was properly done. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of the aforementioned reasons.

The-Altitude-Journals
View: On Bookshelves| On Amazon
Like Osayuwamen Osagie review? Post a comment saying so!

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like osayuwamen6's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”