Official Review: What God is Saying by Jerry Joyner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
LV2R
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: How to win friends and influence people
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: The Catarbie Conspiracy by Sabrina deSouza

Official Review: What God is Saying by Jerry Joyner

Post by LV2R » 09 Jul 2018, 21:43

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What God is Saying" by Jerry Joyner.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jerry Joyner shares his fourteen-month morning meditations of God’s Word in his book, What God is Saying. Joyner is not a pastor, but shares from his own personal experiences and lessons from the Bible. His simple message of “Christ in you” is repeated throughout his book. He wants the readers to know that God is “accessible and mindful” of each one of us.

He explains that even though the Bible is difficult to understand for many, that it is very possible to not only understand the message but to live by it. He describes the Bible as a big jigsaw puzzle that will all come together little by little. As we know and obey God, more and more understanding of His message will become clear.

One of the main things Joyner wants the readers to know is that God’s Word is personal to each one of us. God wants a relationship with us and wants us to know Him. We need to seek, know, trust, and obey God in our daily lives. We will benefit in our relationship with God. We will have peace, love, joy, satisfaction, and blessing when we personally know God.

The author seems to be “bursting at the seams” to tell everyone how good God is and wants all to know and experience Him. I like the author’s enthusiasm to share what he knows about God. I like that, even though the author wants to preach, he believes that the best preaching is simply to allow God to live and love through him. I like what he shares, “I am learning the way to meet every challenge in life is simply through love. Love is the key to peace, joy, and contentment”.

What I like the most about this devotional book is that each short section starts with one to four verses of Scripture. Then the author shares his thoughts and lessons from the verses. He reminds us to read the Bible to know God in our hearts and not to just know about God in our heads. Knowing God is shown through how we live out our lives. Are we loving and forgiving? Are our actions and thoughts Christ-like?

Even though there is a topical index in the back of the book, I do not like how the book is not organized in topics. Some of the topics are God’s peace, love, grace, and prayer. There are many topics shared in the book that are repeated in one form or another throughout the book. The disorganization of the book may be okay if only reading one or two sections a day like a devotional and not reading the book straight through.

The lack of editing is what I like the least. There are just too many mistakes to ignore. The most common mistakes are missing commas and the absence of quotation marks and capitals. I rate What God is Saying 2 out of 4 stars because though I like most of the actual content, the punctuational and grammatical errors make it difficult for me to enjoy reading it. While I don’t agree with everything the author states, I wouldn’t rate it a 1 out of 4 stars because the content is interesting and the author shares his viewpoints. I wouldn’t rate it 3 out of 4 stars because of the grammatical errors found. I would suggest that the author get this book edited and resubmit it with the corrections.

After the author edits the book, Christians that like to read devotionals would like What God is Saying. People who are interested in having a personal relationship with God may like this book the most. People who prefer and are familiar with reading books from well-known pastors and authors may not like this book. People who would least like this book are ones with no interest in the Bible or God and who are not open to another’s viewpoints on these subjects.

What God is Saying
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!

Momiji1987
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 175
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momiji1987.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Momiji1987 » 11 Jul 2018, 01:31

Terrific review! This definitely sounds like a book I would love reading, but I agree the author needs to clean it up first and maybe try to edit out some of the repetitive themes. I hope the author applies your suggestions, because it sounds like this book has a lot of great positive messages to share.

Humble8
Favorite Author: R.D. Base
Favorite Book: Toni the Superhero
Currently Reading: The Housemaid
Bookshelf Size: 59
fav_author_id: 125945

Post by Humble8 » 11 Jul 2018, 14:47

I love this. So many christians are been working for church and not for CHRIST, yes because if you find it difficult to Obey,Trust and Belived in God you just working for church. I love the book thanks for this review.

Humble8
Favorite Author: R.D. Base
Favorite Book: Toni the Superhero
Currently Reading: The Housemaid
Bookshelf Size: 59
fav_author_id: 125945

Post by Humble8 » 11 Jul 2018, 14:53

I love this. So many christians are been working for church and not for CHRIST, yes because if you find it difficult to Obey,Trust and Belived in God you just working for church. I love the book thanks for this review. God love us and the word of God is our sword to fight our enemies, The author has alot of point also we carry the image of God if we love him we most keep His commandment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading: Go Forth, I Am My Brother’s Keeper
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Cecilia_L » 11 Jul 2018, 19:09

I think I would enjoy this more as a devotional book as you suggested, due to the lack of organization of content. It sounds like it would have been improved by professional editing. Thanks for the great review.

LV2R
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: How to win friends and influence people
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: The Catarbie Conspiracy by Sabrina deSouza

Post by LV2R » 11 Jul 2018, 20:23

Yes, I think the author wrote it to be read like a devotional since he had different topics with verses. He mentions in the introduction that one or two could be read a day.

crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 » 12 Jul 2018, 13:27

I too can attest to the fact that the Creator is real, loving and wants a personal relationship with us. Thank you for your lovely review.

TaaraLynn
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn » 12 Jul 2018, 14:56

I feel as though Iwould read this after editing. I like a good devotional and building a relationship with God. Thanks for the review!
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”