Official Review: White and Proud by Keri Brye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Official Review: White and Proud by Keri Brye

Post by Britty01 »

The title and the cover certainly got my attention. After reading the review I think I shall add it to my reading list. What a sad reflection on the state of human nature, that they feel compelled to bring others down rather than improving themselves. It appears that she suffered a lot of bullying from friends and family before learning to stand up for herself. I should think it is hard enough when attacks come from those you do not really know well, but more difficult to internalize when it is from family and what one considers to be close friends. I can imagine how painful that would be.

I believe I shall enjoy how she learns to let go of the toxic things in her life and be the person she wishes to be.
Hopefully the book will be professionally edited, so that the reader can enjoy its value rather than be distracted by its flaws.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cara Van Heerden wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 13:19 Great review, Bianka! I can relate to this book's subject. My surname is obviously Afrikaans, yet I don't act much like one or even speak Afrikaans properly 😂.

I think it's so important to be yourself. We are too unique to subscribe to norms and 'silent rules'.
I know the feeling, but backwards. I am Afrikaans, so the expectations are there. Although, it's different. You know, respect your elders (Jammer oom, or, asseblief tannie...), always be polite, and ALWAYS bring a packet of chips or a 2L Coke to a party :lol2:

I suppose that's a lucky set of silent rules to have!

And you are right - we are all faaaar too unique for rules.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Britty01 wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 09:14 The title and the cover certainly got my attention. After reading the review I think I shall add it to my reading list. What a sad reflection on the state of human nature, that they feel compelled to bring others down rather than improving themselves. It appears that she suffered a lot of bullying from friends and family before learning to stand up for herself. I should think it is hard enough when attacks come from those you do not really know well, but more difficult to internalize when it is from family and what one considers to be close friends. I can imagine how painful that would be.

I believe I shall enjoy how she learns to let go of the toxic things in her life and be the person she wishes to be.
Hopefully the book will be professionally edited, so that the reader can enjoy its value rather than be distracted by its flaws.
Well, exactly. The closer you are to people, the more you expect the opposite behaviour. So it must be really difficult to have to stand up to.
Thanks for reading, and for the comments :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”