Official Review: Fan Loyalty by Carol Wilson-Mack

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Fan Loyalty by Carol Wilson-Mack

Post by lesler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fan Loyalty" by Carol Wilson-Mack.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Fan Loyalty by Carol Wilson-Mack is a memoir type novel in which the author talks about her life's obsession with the singer Brook Benton. From her first time as a teenager hearing Benton sing to making her career path based on her love for the singer, the author is extremely focused on Brook Benton. Through her obsession and becoming president of the Brook Benton fan club, the author was provided amazing opportunities and led the best life.

This book was like nothing I have ever read before, and I enjoyed it. It is a very quick read, being just over one hundred pages, and the writing flowed decently. There were times that the author jumped around in time without explanation, which made for confusion. I honestly had never heard of Brook Benton before reading this book, so I also enjoyed reading more about him and listening to a few of his songs. I do not have the same tastes as the author and did not have a life-changing experience like she did when I first heard his voice, but I thought he was good.

This book is in desperate need of professional editing. There were no spelling errors that I noticed, but the use of capitalization and random quotation marks and commas inserted in random places was distracting. I enjoyed especially reading about the author's life in rural South Carolina growing up in the 1950s. This book entirely focused on her experience with Brook Benton, but the minor side-details of her life were interesting as well.

This book is an excellent example of perseverance, with the idea that if you set your mind to something, you can achieve anything. It was Carol Wilson's goal to meet Brook Benton, and she did so. The process of how the author came to meet the singer, indirectly through her job and through the singer's family in which her dream came true. Reading more about this author, she has lived an incredible life, which I would be interested in reading more about. This focal point of her love for Brook Benton made for a good storyline.

I give Fan Loyalty 2 out of 4 stars, for an interesting subject matter, hard to follow writing flow and text with an abundance of typos through the novel. I would recommend this book to anyone looking to be inspired by an excellent person, who wants to read on how the impossible can sometimes become possible.

Fan Loyalty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Wow, the review is awesome. The book is also fascinating. This is mind-blowing. I think this will inspire many people. I am surprised that such could lead the author to actually meet Benton. It is, however, unfortunate that the book is full of typos. I hope that this will be improved on and that the author will probably will rethink of producing the re-edited copy of the book. Otherwise, you have done a great job here.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This is a classic example of how much a person can achieve if they are driven by love and determination. Her love for Brook Benton causes her to rise to the top. Thank you for a splendid review.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Fascinating review of a mildly fascinating book; this is great, I would get to read it....
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I haven't heard of Brook Benton either. While I admire the author's devotion as a fan, I don't think this is the book for me. However, I appreciate your interesting review.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This definitely seems like an interesting and inspiring read! Thanks for the review.
bookierme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by bookierme »

Given the negative connotation of the word 'obsession', I am surprised that it brought the author so much good fortune. Great review. I probably won't read the book (it is just not my taste) but I'm glad you liked it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy music, but I've never heard of Brook Benton before. It's a bit interesting that so much good happened from her hearing his music and becoming a die hard fan. Due to the errors and just the nature of the book, I don't think it's for me. I appreciate your review, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”