Official Review: Be the Exception by Annie Meehan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Be the Exception by Annie Meehan

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Be the Exception" by Annie Meehan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In her book Be the Exception, author Annie Meehan writes about her harrowing childhood experiences that have shaped her into the compassionate woman she is today. Her life path is strewn with numerous heartbreaking moments, but the majestic butterfly on the front cover speaks to becoming a new creation as the past is left behind.

The author experienced extreme trauma from growing up in a dysfunctional situation where her dad abandoned her entire family. Her mom worked full time and did not meet the physical or emotional needs of the seven children. In order to survive, the kids found food in dumpsters or were taken in by kind people who offered them proper nourishment and shelter.

Her mother, suffering from a mental illness, fostered an environment of uncertainty and a lack of stability. Many times, the author had to fend for herself and her siblings as an angry tirade from her mom would result in them all being banished from the home. The author's transparent account of the abuse she endured was difficult to read and often brought tears to this reader's eyes. But, the resiliency of her spirit to overcome all of that to be where she is today is inspiring.

One word that could be used to describe this entire book is honesty. As the author shares the intimate and painful details of her own experiences, she instructs on how to drop the fake smiles, let yourself feel the pain, and face reality so the heart can mend. None of what she suggests is hard-nosed advice. The tone of the material is like a friend coming by your side, holding your hand and speaking to you gently. The inner work she has done to bring healing to her life is being offered to readers so the truth can set them free.

The book is not long, but it is power packed with written exercises to engage in at the end of every chapter to get you thinking about your self-beliefs and outlooks on life. There are quotes by famous people, as well as by the author, sprinkled in along the way to bring clarity of an idea she wants her readers to wake up and embrace.

What I liked most about this book was that it wasn't 'pushy', and I felt the care that had been taken in putting the material together to be of help for those who need it. And, I must say, that all of us at some level need to do an emotional self-examination to be sure that we are living the best lives ever, and Be the Exception would appeal to all who desire to rid themselves of unnecessary baggage and start anew. Only those who don't wish to read self-help wouldn't find this one to their liking.

I found only a handful of slight errors that can easily be fixed. Spaces need to be inserted at the end of a sentence or two where there is a period. I am giving this book a 4 out of 4 stars for its applicable advice and deeply touching message. Many will find the wisdom they have been searching for to break out of a negative cycle and be the exception.

Be the Exception
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

I love books like this. ". . . she instructs on how to drop the fake smiles, let yourself feel the pain, and face reality so the heart can mend." That, right there got me. As well as, having exercises at the end of the chapters. So, I would definitely read this based on your review!

Thank you!
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

TaaraLynn wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 11:22 I love books like this. ". . . she instructs on how to drop the fake smiles, let yourself feel the pain, and face reality so the heart can mend." That, right there got me. As well as, having exercises at the end of the chapters. So, I would definitely read this based on your review!

I found this book to be of great value. While I did not go through what she did as far as an abusive family, the opening pages spoke to my heart immediately about not following along with a flawed mindset just because family has told you to. What a revelation! And that was only the beginnng. Very helpful book. Thanks for reading my review.

Thank you!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I always appreciate the use of written exercises. I think it really helps to bring the point home. It does sound like the author had a bit of a disturbing upbringing, but I'm glad that she was able to rise above it all. I don't think I'm in need of this book at the moment, but I'm glad you were able to appreciate it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

If the mother was mentally ill and as abusive as the book sounds, I am amazed the Dad stayed around as long as he did. It sounds like a pretty disturbing tale. I do not think it is something I would want to read.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The tone of the material is like a friend coming by your side, holding your hand and speaking to you gently.
This approach really appeals to me, and I admire anyone who has overcome such hardships in their lives. I love the cover art, too. Wonderful review!
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Britty01 wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 17:31 If the mother was mentally ill and as abusive as the book sounds, I am amazed the Dad stayed around as long as he did. It sounds like a pretty disturbing tale. I do not think it is something I would want to read.
I have read more graphic accounts of abuse, but I guess my “mother’s” heart was touched by what she encountered. The good news is that she used her painful past to create a new life for herself.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Wow! What a touching story. It is so unfortunate that so much trauma could happen in one family. I am glad that Annie was able to face these circumstances and blossom like a rose at the end.
Thank you for your great review.
Crainbow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crainbow.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Crainbow »

It's interesting how in some cases those who experience bitter childhood turnout to either be painfully aggressive and angry or completely compassionate and understanding in life generally. It's as though there are only two extreme outcomes to the experience. I know I will relate and learn a lot from this book. I love your review and I'm reading this one.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”