Official Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis" by Michel Valentin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An in-depth political dissertation on American politics and Donald Trump’s role in the current climate is what Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin. This is written in the third person and is very involved and deep. There are a lot of words that I had never heard before and had to look up, that made this book even harder to read than it probably should have been.

Michel starts off the book with an in-depth look at the political situation in America. This includes how a change in the governmental policy over the last few decades has affected the country. This is then followed by looking at how Donald Trump made it into office by discussing his tactics during the electoral campaign.

Michel then follows up, by discussing the way that Donald Trump has set up his cabinet, and how his policies may play out in the future. Leaving the reader wondering why they were so stupid to let him into office in the first place. An explanation is given near the end that points more to the stupidity of the masses, rather than anything particularly savvy on the part of Donald Trump.

This is a no holds barred look into the government of America. It delves deep into the system and outlines the flaws. But never suggests anyways that it could be done better. It’s just a hard look into it. It uses many long and unusual words. Many of which I had no idea of the meaning of. I sometimes had to look up 7 or 8 words a page, which really slowed down the flow. Even after looking some of them up I was unsure if it was the right word to use in that situation, which made grammar checking particularly difficult.

During the reading of this book, I only spotted one grammar mistake that I recognised. There were, however, a lot of very long and unusual words that made this book for me very difficult to read. Though the information present was fantastic and very coherent I find that the excessive use of unusual words made this a drag to read. So I can only give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I think that the book will appeal to anyone with an interest in either Donald Trump or the state of the political scene in America. I feel that it would be too difficult to read for younger readers and anyone with only a mild interest.

Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis
View: on Bookshelves

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I just finished reading another book on Trump and the political climate, so I don't think I'll be reading this one. Besides, all the unnecessary fluff words would probably make me mental.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I see this is a very challenging read. I remembered my one of the difficulties in my first year of law school is those bombastic words I faced while reading my textbooks and case laws. I would like to check this out as politics is one of my interests. Thank you for your honest review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

I'm just impressed you actually looked up all the words, I probably would have just started skipping them. Good review - I want to read something on this topic to become more informed, but I also don't care enough to look up half a dozen words a page. I'll keep my eye out for an easier Trump analysis book.
Humble8
Favorite Author: R.D. Base
Favorite Book: Toni the Superhero
Currently Reading: The Housemaid
Bookshelf Size: 59
fav_author_id: 125945

Post by Humble8 »

I love this review despite the fact that I not have much interest in politics. The book is nice and completely good to read. Despite my political challenges I not think I will read it. Thanks for your review.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

This book sounds interesting, but the frequency of complex words is a bit of a turn off, especially if simpler terms could have been used instead. Thank you for the honest review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

As a VERY anti-Trump American, I'm very interested in what this book has to say. And as a lover of big, new, and unusual words (I actually have an app that teaches me a word a day), I'm very curious about the words you had to look up and wonder how many will actually stymie me, ha-ha.

Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm going to admit it right now... I didn't read your review. You lost me at political and Trump. I'm inundated with that every day enough as it is. I really have no use for this book. Maybe in the future, when we're far past this time, I'll be interested to pick it up and see what it has to say. But not right now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

The title of the book is a trap by itself..... Beautiful book and I can sense it holds deep analysis!!!

Thank you for this exposition!!!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

While I appreciate your interesting review, I can't stomach reading anything more about Trump and his antics. I admire your tenacity to look up all the words, but I wouldn't have the patience.
Navysquid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Navysquid »

I appreciate your review, however, your comment here:
"Michel then follows up, by discussing the way that Donald Trump has set up his cabinet, and how his policies may play out in the future. Leaving the reader wondering why they were so stupid to let him into office in the first place. An explanation is given near the end that points more to the stupidity of the masses, rather than anything particularly savvy on the part of Donald Trump."
is a little distressing as it paints ALL Pres Trump supporters as stupid. As someone who served under both Pres Obama and Bush as my Commander-in-Chief, I had to be equally balanced in my opinions of both. It is unfair to paint an entire voting population as "stupid". I was an intelligence officer in the Navy and do not count myself as stupid. I know it is all the rage to bash Pres Trump or any other President you do not like but not right to say all the voters are stupid.

I'll likely pass on a book that claims this but thank you for the review.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

I am impressed by three things; you did not take a political side in your writing, you looked up all the unusual words you ran across in the book and you didn't drop the book as not being able to finish it. It tells me that you have an unbiased writing approach, an inquisitive mind and keep your commitments no matter what - congrats!

I saw the book available for review when I was choosing my current book and immediately dismissed even reading it. There is so much opinion on social media on both sides that I could have not finished the book regardless of the "side" the author took so you are far braver than me.

You almost made me want to read it when you mentioned the unusual word factor though. I have read many books that were written in the 1800s and early 1900s specifically because of the plethora (like how I did that?) of words and language the authors used back then. The vocabulary was just much more extensive and interesting. I will always remember James Joyce as the author that made me keep a dictionary with me whenever I was reading his work. I loved it every step of the way because he made me learn and he could spin an incredibly visual story. Now many of those words have fallen out of use or their meaning has entirely changed. In a shorter political book though, I don't really see the necessity for odd or complex word usage like that.

Again, kudos to you for taking on a political themed book!
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

"Michel then follows up, by discussing the way that Donald Trump has set up his cabinet, and how his policies may play out in the future. Leaving the reader wondering why they were so stupid to let him into office in the first place. An explanation is given near the end that points more to the stupidity of the masses, rather than anything particularly savvy on the part of Donald Trump."

I took the above as more of the view of the writer and not so much the view of the reviewer when I read the review.
Navysquid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Navysquid »

ShareTheGift wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 23:44 "Michel then follows up, by discussing the way that Donald Trump has set up his cabinet, and how his policies may play out in the future. Leaving the reader wondering why they were so stupid to let him into office in the first place. An explanation is given near the end that points more to the stupidity of the masses, rather than anything particularly savvy on the part of Donald Trump."

I took the above as more of the view of the writer and not so much the view of the reviewer when I read the review.
Rereading the review again, you are correct and if I implied the reviewer I was incorrect. Thank you for pointing that out.
Allyseria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allyseria.html
Latest Review: Choosing Happiness by Emily Hunter Slingluff

Post by Allyseria »

Thank you for the review! From your review, it sounds like a serious dissertation. Yet the book cover sounds like the author is making fun of Trump and that the contents will be filled with humour and insults.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”