Official Review: Hiking Tall: Survival on Mount Whitney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Official Review: Hiking Tall: Survival on Mount Whitney

Post by Camille Turner »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hiking Tall: Survival on Mount Whitney" by Marvin D. Cope.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hiking Tall: Survival on Mount Whitney by Marvin Cope is a non-fiction autobiographical account of when the author went missing on Mount Whitney in 2017. Despite eight previous successful hikes up the mountain, the 2017 excursion went awry when Cope was separated from the rest of his hiking party. This book serves both as an account of what happened leading up to, during, and following Cope’s frightening experience and a guide to how to prepare for hiking Mount Whitney and how to survive if you wind up in a dangerous situation. The book includes details about the members of Cope’s hiking group—he was the leader—and how they got ready for this strenuous but exciting undertaking. Readers have a first-person account of what happened during and after the hike, and how the search-and-rescue process works. The book also includes what gear one should have if hiking Mount Whitney, what conditions to prepare for, what to do if you get into trouble, and how to geographically orient oneself while hiking this trail.

I think this is an interesting read for everyone, whether hiking Mount Whitney or not, but is especially beneficial for those who hike regularly. Although the information is specific to hiking Mount Whitney and will best serve those wishing to undertake this endeavor, the story can be applied to any outdoor activity or hike where it’s necessary to take extra precautions, plan well, and remain calm in unforeseen events. One thing I really liked about the book is that you don’t need to be an experienced hiker to understand the terms used. Cope always takes the time to define equipment and other hiking jargon that may be new to someone like me who regularly hikes but has never gone on a really serious high-altitude hike. For example, he defines terms like “graveyard hiking” and explains how to use things like crampons and microspikes.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I think it is a well-constructed, professionally edited, relevant guide to hiking Mount Whitney and surviving in extreme circumstances. I briefly considered giving it 3 stars since I found some parts to be a bit repetitive, but decided 4 stars was appropriate given it’s written in the style of a guide and can therefore be read in any order, which is likely the reason for the slightly repetitive nature.

I enjoyed that there are several different accounts from other hikers in the 2017 group, so you get to hear the story from various perspectives. I also liked that Cope includes a lot of helpful images and maps throughout the book. This helped me to see exactly what he was talking about at any given point and to better understand what he was going through during his night spent alone on the mountain. The book is highly-detailed which can either appeal to or disinterest readers depending on one’s preference. I personally found the details to be helpful since the book serves as a guide, and the main theme is that one little choice or changed external condition can make all the difference when hiking this iconic mountain.

Despite knowing that the author survived to write this account of his story, I still felt a lot of suspense while reading. There are such tense moments like when someone in the group is sliding down a snow hill or when the author has left his space blanket behind and doesn’t know if he’ll spend another night stranded in freezing temperatures. Hiking Tall: Survival on Mount Whitney definitely succeeds in doing what it intended, as I came away considering how I under-prepare in certain hiking situations and reflecting on Cope’s advice that patience is key to avoiding fatal mistakes when hiking.

Hiking Tall: Survival on Mount Whitney
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Camille Turner's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ayansisolomon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Ayansisolomon »

Official Review: Hiking Tall: Survival on Mount Whitney is a wonderful story by the author which tells on what she went through on the Mountain of Whitney. It was scary and fictioned... Great write up..
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This can be a complementary read to me to what I'm reading right now 'The Altitude Journal' by David Mauro. If I want to take hiking and climbing the mountain seriously, I find this is an essential read for a total rookie like me before I embark my journey.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rose Anne03
Currently Reading: Refugee
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-anne03.html
Latest Review: The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Rose Anne03 »

This story seems helpful. Especially to all newbies like me. Im going to put it in my list. Thank you for the great review
Chesang
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chesang »

The book is a awesome read according to me. The writer has clearly brought out the clear picture of the adventure. I like the book.
Humble8
Favorite Author: R.D. Base
Favorite Book: Toni the Superhero
Currently Reading: The Housemaid
Bookshelf Size: 59
fav_author_id: 125945

Post by Humble8 »

To me this is a most read,I take it as a complementary to what am reading successful jurony. Thanks I will read this one too.
Joshua0503

Post by Joshua0503 »

This book is very helpful for hikers it will help them alot whenever they get in trouble in extreme snow or dangerous terrains. Good write
Paulus ogola

Post by Paulus ogola »

The book is well clearly written and interesting
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This isn't my usual go to genre, but I'm very interested in what happened to the author. How he survived. How he was rescued. All of that. Thanks for the great review. I'll definitely keep this one in mind next time I'm looking for another book to read.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I like that the book offers the perspective of different survivors. The suspense factor really appeals to me, too. Great review!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 04:31 This can be a complementary read to me to what I'm reading right now 'The Altitude Journal' by David Mauro. If I want to take hiking and climbing the mountain seriously, I find this is an essential read for a total rookie like me before I embark my journey.
Wow, that book by Mauro looks really interesting (I just looked it up!). I would love to read that one as well. "Hiking Tall" is definitely a great read for you since you're considering some excursions. Thanks for commenting!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Rose Anne03 wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 06:26 This story seems helpful. Especially to all newbies like me. Im going to put it in my list. Thank you for the great review
It is quite helpful! I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for commenting! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 15:30 This isn't my usual go to genre, but I'm very interested in what happened to the author. How he survived. How he was rescued. All of that. Thanks for the great review. I'll definitely keep this one in mind next time I'm looking for another book to read.
It's a very fascinating story! Thanks for reading my review and commenting! :)
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Cecilia_L wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 18:35 I like that the book offers the perspective of different survivors. The suspense factor really appeals to me, too. Great review!
Yes, the suspense was one of my favorite factors as well. Thank you, and thanks for leaving a comment! :)
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the great review. Hiking isn't a hobby of mine, but I do like to hear of hear of survival stories

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”