Official Review: Corners

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Official Review: Corners

Post by inaramid »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Corners" by Amy Lou Jenkins (Editor and Contributor).]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you’re feeling stuck, stagnant, or burned out, Corners: Voices on Change edited by Amy Lou Jenkins might just be the book for you. With the common thread of change and transformation running through this collection of 25 stories, essays, and other musings on paper, Corners strikes a happy balance between the advice-giving nature of the self-help genre and the storytelling feature of autobiographies and memoirs. It’s like attending a group therapy session or a retreat where you get to listen to the wisdom of a diverse array of people—mothers, grandmothers, writers, poets, teachers, travelers, students, singers, combat veterans—who each have a noteworthy story to share.

Doctoral student Julia Anne Miller starts things off in “Intersection of Then and Now,” where she recounts the traumatic brain injury that abruptly altered her life. Somehow, she retains the ability to write, and this saves her from despair as she comes to grips with her “new self.” Selfhood is also a theme in Cate Dicharry’s “I Became a Mother But I Lost Myself,” a candid revelation of the hidden perils of “motherlove.” Like Julia’s and Cate’s, several of the other narratives are poignant, inspiring, and speaks to common life transitions and experiences. Moving out of a childhood home, getting fired from a job, and dealing with deaths, births, or disabilities were some of the backdrops that gave rise to the insights shared by the writers.

Other stories took a broader view of the theme of change. Elena Harap’s short essay on the perpetuation of stereotypes through nursery rhymes was an eye-opener. Ken Williams’ account as a “cherry,” a fresh recruit during the Vietnam War where “boys killed boys,” was a short, gut-wrenching read. The parallel Patricia Byrne drew between falling down the stairs and substance abuse was a simple, enlightening commentary on addiction and dependence. Dawn Cogger wrote about loving someone “without understanding,” a perspective that takes a tremendous amount of maturity to appreciate and act upon.

The diversity of voices, of ideas, perceptions, and writing styles offered in this collection made for a very enriching reading experience. Some stories I loved; some I liked; some I was ambivalent about. Some voices were forthright; others were meandering. It seemed that some writers just wanted to be heard while others aimed to be understood. Some messages came across with the clarity and precision of a photograph; others struck me with that same ambiguity and weirdness I often associate with abstract art. And yet the stories invite reflection on a broad range of human experiences: relationships, politics, religion, society, heritage, love, rejection, and (to paraphrase a line in Amy Lou Jenkins’ introduction) how the world is always in motion even when you’re standing still.

All of us have dealt with the uncertainties of change. We all know how terrifying it can be. Corners reassures us that it’s part of life. Every person has gone through it in some form or another, and while not everyone thrives after the experience, all have found ways to survive. There are stories that you will relate to even while some will probably just go over your head, but there’s no denying the book’s potential to inspire and move people to reflect and act on their past, present, and future circumstances.

If I could, I would rate Corners 4 stars. However, the presence of several editing problems, mostly in the form of missing or misplaced punctuation marks, led to a final rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Regardless, readers facing a personal crisis may find solace in a story or two from this remarkable collection. For anyone who wants to move on and onward, Corners is a highly recommended read.

Corners
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like inaramid's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thanks for such a wonderful review! The book seems to be a kaleidoscope of voices, ideas and writing styles. I'd love to read it and understand how different people react to change and survive even under the most difficult circumstances.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Thank you for an honest and insightful review.
It´s not the kind of book I usually read, but I struggle so much with embracing change. I know it´s an intrinsic part of life and anyhow, I fight it.
I´ll give this book a read because it also touches on some interesting social topics.
osayuwamen6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osayuwamen6.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by osayuwamen6 »

Nice review! It's a non-fictional book with series of stories that gave an insight about real life experience, I would like learn more about the book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

As someone who has always struggled with change even when I know it's necessary, I found your review to be quite engaging. I think I would really like the collection. The fact that the contributors are such a diverse group also appeals to me. Thanks for the wonderful review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm just not into biographical essays as such, but some of what you describe should interesting. Traumatic brain injuries are no joke. Still, I'm just not sure I would enjoy this. Thanks so much for introducing this to us though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Group therapy in a book sounds interesting.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

cristinaro wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 04:22 The book seems to be a kaleidoscope of voices, ideas and writing styles. I'd love to read it and understand how different people react to change and survive even under the most difficult circumstances.
It is. A reader and a writer will find something worthwhile in this collection.

Lunastella wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 07:02 It´s not the kind of book I usually read, but I struggle so much with embracing change. I know it´s an intrinsic part of life and anyhow, I fight it.
It is a universal struggle. I hope you enjoy the book!

osayuwamen6 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 10:12 Nice review! It's a non-fictional book with series of stories that gave an insight about real life experience, I would like learn more about the book.
Thank you for dropping by. Yes, the experiences the writers undergo are varied, and their perspectives are different as well.

Cecilia_L wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 15:00 As someone who has always struggled with change even when I know it's necessary, I found your review to be quite engaging. I think I would really like the collection. The fact that the contributors are such a diverse group also appeals to me. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Thank you, Cecilia_L. I find that this is the book's advantage over other types of memoirs. Sometimes, the "voice" of a single author can be tiresome. With several authors, you are guaranteed to find someone that you'll respond to. I like how the book provides a list of the authors' profiles at the end. Several have blogs and books that they've written, and the links are provided if one is interested.

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 18:30 I'm just not into biographical essays as such, but some of what you describe should interesting. Traumatic brain injuries are no joke. Still, I'm just not sure I would enjoy this. Thanks so much for introducing this to us though.
I understand :). The stories and writing styles are just so varied that it might not appeal to all types of readers.

teacherjh wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 23:10 Group therapy in a book sounds interesting.
:) :)
Dabuddhababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabuddhababe.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Dabuddhababe »

This sounded like a good read for me, up until there was more than one speaker. I dont like to feel like I'm reading essays. The review is written beautifully, I cant wait to read more of your reviews.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for such a detailed review! This definitely seems like an inspiring read, with much to learn.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This book reminds me of a book that I reviewed lately, where the victim was able to overcome extreme trauma and help others in the process. Thank you for your amazing review.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Dabuddhababe wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 05:52 This sounded like a good read for me, up until there was more than one speaker. I dont like to feel like I'm reading essays. The review is written beautifully, I cant wait to read more of your reviews.
There are several that I'd consider essays, but there are also those that are written in a conversational manner. The best thing about reading the collection, for me, was the introduction to the works of so many different writers.

gen_g wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 09:31 Thank you for such a detailed review! This definitely seems like an inspiring read, with much to learn.
Thanks for dropping by!

crediblereading2 wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 22:09 This book reminds me of a book that I reviewed lately, where the victim was able to overcome extreme trauma and help others in the process. Thank you for your amazing review.
That sounds interesting as well. Thank you for dropping by!
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

I am a huge fan of diverse perceptions and from your detailing in the review I already love this book. Thanks for the splendid review.
Dabuddhababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabuddhababe.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Dabuddhababe »

inaramid wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 03:46
Dabuddhababe wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 05:52 This sounded like a good read for me, up until there was more than one speaker. I dont like to feel like I'm reading essays. The review is written beautifully, I cant wait to read more of your reviews.
There are several that I'd consider essays, but there are also those that are written in a conversational manner. The best thing about reading the collection, for me, was the introduction to the works of so many different writers.

inaramid wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 03:46
Dabuddhababe wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 05:52 I never thought about it like that. When I read something I really like to sink my teeth into it. Being able to read a collection of different writers work could be really interesting.
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

Thanks for the review. The book seems like a great book to read when tackling the fear of change or resistance to change.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”