Official Review: Mary Alice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Mary Alice

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mary Alice" by Ilda Weatherford & Cora Bantner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mary Alice is a beautiful memoir/biography by mother-daughter duo Ilda Weatherford and Cora Bantner. Mary Alice, the subject of this book, is Ilda’s mother and Cora’s grandmother. The storyline spans three generations, starting from how and when Mary Alice’s parents met, to her children’s early childhood and adolescence.

Mary Alice’s father was a rascal in his youth. Such was his knavery that one day a Gypsy group found him floating on the water, tarred and feathered. He was rescued and allowed to remain with the group; but then he impregnates Ercyline, one of the Gypsy girls. The Gypsy elders promptly forced him to marry her and left them to start their lives together. Ercyline had to endure a lot of hardship, eventually birthing Mary Alice on her own, as she had no access to healthcare. As a child, Mary Alice proved to be very intelligent and curious, and could read from the early age of 3. She was also a keenly observant child who loved nature, and from an early age, she could tell safe plants from dangerous ones. As an adult, Mary Alice consistently proved to be a strong pillar of support in all the communities she lived in. This book chronicles her childhood exploits and adult life in such an engaging manner that you will have a hard time putting it down. I sure did.

I love this book’s candid portrayal of Mary’s life. The story is written in third person narrative and feels like fiction. Indeed, there are quite a number of things to learn from this book. The parts that highlight Mary Alice’s endurance through the difficulties are very uplifting, and they reinforce the idea that most times, we can avoid becoming victims of circumstance if we refuse to allow our situation in life define us. Her willingness to help people in need proved to be a real blessing for her family and the communities where they lived. In contrast to our self-serving society, Mary Alice’s story teaches the immeasurable value of kindness. If you enjoy reading memoirs, I recommend this book to you.

The rhythm and pacing of this book were one of the things that kept my head in it. For the most part, I was not left feeling lost or wondering what happened. The exception to this was the fact that the book doesn’t say where or how Mary Alice met her husband Francis. I do not understand why that part was left out. But since this story was actually written by her daughter Ilda and finished by her grand-daughter Cora, I suppose they it is possible they do not know. Other than this, the book is well organized and the events in it are easy to follow.

I cannot say much about the formatting of this book, because the book I received was more of a manuscript. The writers also use a lot of old spellings and colloquialisms; for example, spelling “here” as “ere”, “tomorrow” as “tommora”, and “onto” as “untuh.” I assume that these spellings are not errors because that style is used repeatedly in the book. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I join the people who have read this book before me in screaming: “Encore, Cora!”

Mary Alice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

Oh, how I love memoirs!❤ Every feeling of the characters becomes so much more to a reader than just descriptions in the book. You feel what they feel, positive and negative, and follow them on their journey through life. Especially when it's an adventurous memoir that spans across three generations! :). Thanks for your review! I'd absolutely like to read this book.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Nmadinachi Egwim wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 02:36 Oh, how I love memoirs!❤ Every feeling of the characters becomes so much more to a reader than just descriptions in the book. You feel what they feel, positive and negative, and follow them on their journey through life. Especially when it's an adventurous memoir that spans across three generations! :). Thanks for your review! I'd absolutely like to read this book.
How lovely to meet a kindred spirit like you! I love, love, love memoirs too. It’s always more than just a story. You get to imagine the scenes and put yourself in the subject’s shoes because these things actually happened. It’s a great feeling. Thanks for your lovely comment.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Nmadinachi Egwim wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 02:36 Oh, how I love memoirs!❤ Every feeling of the characters becomes so much more to a reader than just descriptions in the book. You feel what they feel, positive and negative, and follow them on their journey through life. Especially when it's an adventurous memoir that spans across three generations! :). Thanks for your review! I'd absolutely like to read this book.
My thoughts exactly, except you said it better! I definitely want to read this - I've never read a biography written by a mother/daughter duo before. That's a great idea, and this is a great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love that the memoir was authored by a mother-daughter duo. I think the fact that it reads like fiction sounds interesting. It's obvious that you felt a connection with the book. Your enthusiasm is contagious, so thanks for the recommendation!
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

SamSim wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 06:32
My thoughts exactly, except you said it better! I definitely want to read this - I've never read a biography written by a mother/daughter duo before. That's a great idea, and this is a great review!
Thank you Sam.

This is my first one too @bolded.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 14:34 I love that the memoir was authored by a mother-daughter duo. I think the fact that it reads like fiction sounds interesting. It's obvious that you felt a connection with the book. Your enthusiasm is contagious, so thanks for the recommendation!
You’re welcome. Thanks for the lovely comments too!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Okay, so this is probably a little missing-the-point, but this memoir is written in such an interesting way--I'm especially intrigued by what you mentioned about the different spelling (e.g. "here" spelled as "ere")! :P That aside, this book genuinely seems to have a really captivating plot, and I'm definitely putting it on my to-read list :)

Thank you for your lovely review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”