Official Review: Marijuana Unleashed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Marijuana Unleashed

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Marijuana Unleashed" by D.Breneman McCaslin - Jack Herer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Good people don’t smoke marijuana.” Attorney General Jeff Sessions spoke these words during a 2016 Senate drug hearing. The statement embodies one position in a century-long battle about the dangers and the benefits of the magic plant. Marijuana Unleashed, author Breneman McCaslin’s 2018 book, outlines how a small but influential group of politicians and entrepreneurs waged an organized campaign to destroy marijuana production and the people who grow it, sell it, or use it.

McCaslin reminds us that United States citizens had been using marijuana since the 1840s with no evidence at all of it being habit-forming or being linked to violent behavior. It was widely used for many practical and medicinal purposes. At some point in the 1930s, however, the thinking about marijuana changed drastically. McCaslin writes “This leads us to an important question: If it was not fear of health or social consequences that led to the eventual ban of Marijuana use in America…what did?”

Marijuana Unleashed outlines an orchestrated effort by United States drug officials and key entrepreneurs to discredit marijuana’s benefits, fabricate lies about its dangers, and halt its production. The author demonstrates how racism and other intentionally manipulated social norms drove the unjust demonization of marijuana in the last fifty years. The producers of fossil fuels, paper products, textiles, and pharmaceutical drugs were all poised to suffer from the production of hemp and marijuana. If marijuana had not been banned, ”80% of DuPont’s business would never have materialized and the great majority of the pollution which has poisoned our Northwestern and Southeastern rivers would not have occurred.” Competing against new marijuana technologies, according to McCaslin, “would have jeopardized the lucrative financial schemes of William Randolph Hearst, the DuPont family, and DuPont’s chief financial backer, Andrew Mellon of the Mellon Bank of Pittsburgh.”

In 1931, Harry J. Anslinger was appointed the first commissioner of the United States Federal Bureau of Narcotics (now the Drug Enforcement Agency). In 1937, while testifying before Congress, Anslinger claimed, “Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.” While Anslinger was pushing his racist, anti-marijuana agenda, individual states were creating their own initiatives against jazz, rock-and-roll, and marijuana, “to stop ‘evil’ music and keep white women from falling prey to blacks through jazz and Marijuana.” The author includes graphics of various anti-marijuana propaganda posters, including one with a “before” picture of a white businessman. The poster reads, “good job, nice house, loving wife and kids.” The “after” photo of a black man lying in the gutter says “he caught AIDS by sharing used marijuana….” The author effectively uses visual images of this anti-marijuana campaign to illustrate the potency of the movement.

McCaslin refers several times to a book by his colleague, Jack Herer. In The Emperor Wears No Clothes, Herer claims that if all fossil fuels, as well as trees for paper and construction, were banned in order to save the planet and stop deforestation, marijuana is the one substance that would be capable of providing the world’s paper, textile, and energy needs. Moreover, Herer claims the use of marijuana in place of these other products and practices would reduce pollution, rebuild the soil, and clean the atmosphere. Breneman McCaslin frequently praises Jack Herer’s book and even pictures its cover again and again, randomly but often, on the pages of his own book. This odd practice and other anomalies in this publication muddled McCaslin’s message and rendered it awkward.

The tone of McCaslin’s writing is hyperbolic, and the presentation is disjointed and jarring. There are no transitions between very divergent topics, and it is difficult to follow a cohesive thread in this author’s writing. The organization style is unsuccessful in inviting the reader into the content, and the presentation of the book distracts from the message. Many of the paragraphs are very short and begin with indentation rather than having spaces between them. The result is a mass of short, indented paragraphs, at times causing a visual wreckage of random sentences. There are very few introductory or conclusive statements in this stream-of-consciousness style of writing. It would have helped immensely to have actual chapters and an organization to the book’s message arc.

The text of Marijuana Unleashed is interspersed with illustrations and photos. The figures are intriguing, and they add to the interest of the story. Much of the text is underlined, bolded, colored, boxed, or highlighted with bright yellow. If the purpose was to indicate emphasis, it was very ineffective because nearly everything would be emphasized. I didn’t understand the overuse of these tools. Almost every page has numerous topic headings, and these are listed in the table of contents as separate sections or chapters. So, the table of contents is several pages long. Again, this was ineffective and served to distract from the message. I did enjoy the images of historical posters and advertisements, touting the dangers of the “killer drug.” But, the practice of constant highlighting, bolding, boxing, and underlining was tedious. The book’s length is only about eighty-three pages, including an extensive bibliography. However, the dense content, the small type, and the chaotic organization make it seem much longer.

For all of its wackiness, this book is edited reasonably well for punctuation and grammar. It lacks structural and content editing. The writing is not elegant, but it is passable for non-fiction. I rate Marijuana Unleashed 2 out of 4 stars. I think those who are interested in the history of marijuana legislation might enjoy this book and appreciate the graphics and informal style. It does not, however, have the organization and cohesive messaging deserving of a 3- or 4-star rating.

Marijuana Unleashed
View: on Bookshelves

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Excellent review Eva. After reading this I will pass on this book. I got the impression the author is quite invested in the topic. As for environmental impacts there is growing concern about Marijuana production, not to mention the human destruction. Some of the claims in the book seem a little difficult to believe.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Britty01 wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 10:48 Excellent review Eva. After reading this I will pass on this book. I got the impression the author is quite invested in the topic. As for environmental impacts there is growing concern about Marijuana production, not to mention the human destruction. Some of the claims in the book seem a little difficult to believe.
Yes, the author's investment in this appears to be pretty intense. And, the tone is pretty over-the-top. I learned about the history of marijuana legislation and he did use lots of endnotes and footnotes to back up his claims. Still, I support your choice to skip this one. :) Thanks so much for stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I have never been caught up in finding out more about marijuana's history or even how the fight against it began. The review has actually opened up my eyes on a few of those issues and also I have learned a thing or two.
However, it sounds like the author is trying to force on his information. I will be passing over this read but I enjoyed the review. It was pretty detailed and nicely done considering it wasn't the most intriguing book.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
S Chinaski
Currently Reading: Before They're Gone
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshiercat.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by S Chinaski »

Fantastic review; it's terribly unfortunate that the author missed the mark with his approach to the content.
I have always found the history of marijuana prohibition fascinating and the potential uses for cannabis to be very promising, so it's a shame when such an innately compelling story gets diluted by sensationalism or personal investment/bias.

I'm on the fence about checking it out; my desire for a properly executed read is at odds with my interest in marijuana. :)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I found your review very interesting, but the lack of cohesion and structure in the book's format would be really distracting to me, too.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Faithmwangi wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 11:46 I have never been caught up in finding out more about marijuana's history or even how the fight against it began. The review has actually opened up my eyes on a few of those issues and also I have learned a thing or two.
However, it sounds like the author is trying to force on his information. I will be passing over this read but I enjoyed the review. It was pretty detailed and nicely done considering it wasn't the most intriguing book.
Yes, the author has a strong agenda. I did learn quite a bit history from the book that was well-resourced. Thanks so much for stopping by today.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Cecilia_L wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 13:25 I found your review very interesting, but the lack of cohesion and structure in the book's format would be really distracting to me, too.
Yes, I don't recommend this book unless you enjoy lots of stylistic license. It didn't work well. Thanks so much for stopping by today.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

This is quite an elaborate review. Seems you have portrayed the history of Marijuana well enough, one might not need to read the book....

I could read it if I only have the time, I am always interested in history!!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Dahmy 10 wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 13:35 This is quite an elaborate review. Seems you have portrayed the history of Marijuana well enough, one might not need to read the book....

I could read it if I only have the time, I am always interested in history!!
Oh gosh, I hope I didn't overdo the book summary in my review. That is something I may need to think about. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting.
-Nayyirah Waheed
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Very insightful review. Marijuana is indeed a very beneficial plant. It carries a lot of healing properties for the mind, spirit, and body. It should, however, be taken with proper care and guidance for persons who are using it for the first time.
osayuwamen6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osayuwamen6.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by osayuwamen6 »

It was quite a detailed review and I learned a few things from the review about marijuana. One will have to keep in mind that there are health benefits of marijuana if properly used but could be hazardous if misused.The writer did a brilliant research.
producedan2410
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by producedan2410 »

Great flowing review. I enjoyed the easy rhythm of the information and will be reading this book. Thank you Eva
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

crediblereading2 wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 21:38 Very insightful review. Marijuana is indeed a very beneficial plant. It carries a lot of healing properties for the mind, spirit, and body. It should, however, be taken with proper care and guidance for persons who are using it for the first time.
Thanks so much. Yes, you are right. The author didn't address the potential hazards of the substance. I appreciate you stopping by. Thank you.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

osayuwamen6 wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 08:08 It was quite a detailed review and I learned a few things from the review about marijuana. One will have to keep in mind that there are health benefits of marijuana if properly used but could be hazardous if misused.The writer did a brilliant research.
Yes, I agree, the book could have been more forthcoming about some of the dangers of the substance. It was intriguing, nonetheless. Thanks so much for stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”