Official Review: California: On the Edge of American Hist...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: California: On the Edge of American Hist...

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "California: On the Edge of American History" by Ronald Genini.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered just how various states developed into their modern form? Part of the United States of America, yet with sufficient individualistic characteristics to nearly be its own self-sustaining country, California is rich in fertile land. Modern California provides food for much of the world, loudly proclaims diversity, and sets many precedents for the rest of the country. In order to truly understand California, one must delve deep into history to discover what behind this unique west coast state.

Ronald Genini has written a lengthy book that explains how a rich section of land inhabited by Native Americans quickly became a favored land of legends and at last a settled country. California: On the Edge of American History is filled with legends, first-hand testimonies, historical documents, and copious records. Genini's book doesn't stop with ancient history, however. He goes on to discuss modern events through 2015, at which time I assume the book was first published.

Tales of Cortez and his famous search for El Dorado (City of Gold), Spanish missions, Indian massacres, entrepreneurs, Russians, love stories, conquistadors, and more fill the pages of this book. Written in an easy to understand style, my biggest complaint is the length. It took me half of forever to read! I understand that Genini's book is used as a textbook in some California schools, but for the average reader, you would have both love all the details and have more than a mild interest in the state in order to fully appreciate this book. It's plain that the author spent much time researching in order to so thoroughly capture the essence of each time period represented.

I did not find grammatical errors in the book, which led me to believe this has been professionally edited. The author has a mastery of language and makes use of impeccable imagery; one can nearly "experience" California history while reading. Given that this is a non-fiction book, I am pleased to note that it is well-documented throughout. Although it is nearly impossible for any historian to write without some bias, the author did a fine job of keeping bias to a minimum, which I deeply appreciated.

Again, the biggest issue with this book is the sheer length. I would suggest for easier processing, this could easily be split into a multi-volume work. Due to the impressive amount of documented facts, easy reading style and lack of errors, I rate this 4 out of 4 stars. However, I feel that it is written for a fairly selective audience rather than the general populace due to the extensive treatment of the topic.

California: On the Edge of American History
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I think I agree with your suggestion of splitting the book into volumes, not all of us have that motivation to turn immense pages...

I love the book because I love history, I hope they take to your advice so I can jump on it. Thank you!!!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I think your suggestion of multiple volumes is a great idea. I'm afraid I would lose interest in such a lengthy book in this genre. Thanks for your in-depth review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The length would be a drawback for me, too. The information you have given about the book makes it seem very interesting, though. Good job!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a good book for those who are really interested in History. It's not my forte and especially not California. Due to that and the length, I think I'll skip it. But I appreciate the amount of research that went into this book. Thanks for the good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 08:01 Sounds like a good book for those who are really interested in History. It's not my forte and especially not California. Due to that and the length, I think I'll skip it. But I appreciate the amount of research that went into this book. Thanks for the good review.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. It was fascinating, but too much. :shock:
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It's good that it's written in a lively and vivid style. I was afraid that it might be dry. It seems to have illustrated California's history well. It's a shame the length was an issue.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Not exactly my cup of tea but I do appreciate the insightful review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book revolving around the history of California sounds like a good read for fans of the genre. Sounds like a comprehensive and well researched book due to the inclusion of the legends, testimonies, and historical documents. That the book was well edited is to the author's credit. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

The amount of research invested in this book is impressive. Thanks for the candid and insightful review.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

This book is about history of California.This book is a treat for historic book lovers.
---
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a historical geographic non-fiction novel on the making of the United States as regards to California. The book is free on Amazon Kindle and has a detailed well-written onlinebookclub review. Congrats on being the BOTD.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

This book of California sounds very complete, covering so many historical and modern-day events of this huge state. It sounds like there would be a lot of interesting facts about the tales of Cortez in search of the City of Gold, Indian massacres, Russians, and so much more. I was surprised to hear that California provides food for much of the world. Congratulations for reading such a long, detailed book and writing a nice summary.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 469
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

There is much history in this book especially of California. For all lovers of History, it is my wishful thinking that they will find this to be a resourceful book as far American history is concerned. The cover page illustration is masterfully done. Thanks for this great and elaborate review.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Dawnks09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawnks09.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Dawnks09 »

This book is quite lengthy but American history is one of interesting book to read. The book also presents a lot of information about America. Congrats to the BOTD. Thank you for this detailed review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”