Official Review: Gentle Ben by John Wayne Goodson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Gentle Ben by John Wayne Goodson

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gentle Ben" by John Wayne Goodson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Gentle Ben by John Wayne Goodson, you are not always who you think you are. Lying paralyzed among a pile of rocks after a gruesome fall, Wayne thinks of the ways he can stop the excruciating pain piercing his body. In an effort to rise and take a sip of water from a nearby brook, he stretches his failing body once more. Every muscle screams out in pain and in frustration, he gives up falling back to his initial position.

His life begins to flash through his mind. He remembers Gary, a faithful childhood friend who he hurt deeply. The pain of losing him and the accompanying guilt still lingers. The images of his parents float through his mind. He recounts their infectious kindness and their amazing love for people. Next comes Thumper, his pet of years past. The bunny that was his constant companion until it found its own independence. The reverie continues until someone appears someone Wayne has never met before and someone whose words he will never forget.

For me, the most amazing aspect of the book, Gentle Ben, is the author’s ability to carve out very vivid backdrop to scenes. The sounds, smells and visions are all too real. The colors that surround his musing are described skilfully. The opening scene is awash with fascinating detail of the surrounding scenery. Wayne Goodson catches every detail from the singing birds to the surrounding shrubs. He also describes his fall among the shrubs and the agonizing pain that follows. Despite the brevity of the book, the background of every scene is well-designed.

The plot’s undoing, however, is the lack of a clear theme outlined from the start. I had to figure out the intentions of the author which were revealed at the very last moment. The lack of focus caused a cascading negative effect. The result was the inclusion of unnecessary characters that had little significance to the main theme. The story of Wayne’s parents makes a delightful addition to the narrative but it does not have a significant contribution to the message the author wants to convey. Gary also appears at the start of the story and there is no mention of him later on when Thumper and Ben appear.

In between, there were arguments for the existence of God and a mention of the author’s believes. I felt these were not adequately explored. Further, at one point, the author describes his relationship with his childhood friend, a friendship that was characterized by Wayne’s dominion over Gary. What follows is remorse which is quickly overshadowed by self-justification. I rate Gentle Ben 2 out of 4 stars. The delightful aspects of the plot are shrouded by the inconsistencies.

Gentle Ben
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Your review is really great. What I do not follow is the plot of the story in the book, it sounds complicated.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

A book with fascinating qualities. I am indifferent as to whether or not I'll go through.

This is an interesting review nevertheless...
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

It's sad that the book does not have a particular sense of direction. This can be a put-off. I will not be exploring this book. Thanks for the review though!
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm really confused. This book sounded so interesting at first but then the lack of plot leads me to think I would not like this book.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've seen movies and books that are centered around an injured person before. Some are done well and some not so much. This does seem a bit like the later. I don't think I would enjoy that kind of book in the best of times, much less one that lacks focus as this. So I think I'll pass. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

It sounds like this one has a strong beginning but no clear theme or direction. I hope the author can make some revisions to more effectively convey his message.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

Thank you for this informative review, EmunahAn. Your review at first made Gentle Ben sound like a pleasant read. However, I agree with the others, that if the plot is weak, or just not there, then the book may not be anything more than reading someone's thoughts.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I appreciate your thorough review but the plot does sound confusing.
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

An interesting book at firs, but than, as statet from your review the plot gets confusing. Thank you for the nice review though.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

The premise sounds fantastic, but the confusing plot is frustrating. Thanks for the charming review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”