Review by Britty01 -- If life stinks get your head outta...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Britty01
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Britty01 -- If life stinks get your head outta...

Post by Britty01 » 30 Jun 2018, 12:41

[Following is a volunteer review of "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wodwiak presents the foundation for having a successful life. He approaches this in a manner unlike many of the self-help books that you will find on this topic. He does not mince his words. Instead, he gives it to the reader straight. The title alone is a clear indication of what will follow.

The first five chapters form the introduction to the intent of the book. Mr. Wodwiak explains his reasons why some people do not achieve the success they claim to seek. He expresses the importance of an open mind in being able and willing to accept new ideas. There is an emphasis on taking responsibility and working smarter to be successful. One thing he makes clear is, “yeah, but” is not an option. This author believes that the correct mindset and intention will cause a person to create success in their life. Anything less is their responsibility alone!

Following the introduction are three sections labeled; crawling, walking and running. Each chapter concluded with one or two points, suggestions or a question. The request for initials was a call to action and an opportunity to acknowledge what had just been absorbed.

I found the book both engaging and enlightening. The author describes his own experiences in a clear, concise fashion. There are a lot of positives about this book. He offers many examples to clarify his position on a particular topic and drive the point home.

I liked the fact that each chapter was short, focusing on a particular point that the author wished to make. The author suggests the importance of positive thinking and seeking out intelligent and successful people as a means to achieving success. The difference between an obligation and a responsibility was also an important point to understand. The quotes used in this book were positive, thought-provoking and added emphasis to what he was sharing. While some may perceive that Mr. Wodwiak used a blunt tone in his writing, I found he was quick to point out that they are not responsible for another person’s happiness and failure is a learning opportunity. One of my favorite quotes was, “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.” – Sir Winston Spencer-Churchill.

The author makes a point of explaining that success will mean something different to each person, whether it is a good career, money, fame, being a good parent, or being content with their life. There was little I could fault with this book other than one minor error. Perhaps, lying in bed making a to-do list for the next day may not be useful for some people, it might keep them awake. However, writing a list of tasks a little before ending the day could be useful for some. In this way, they could relax knowing these tasks will not be forgotten. For these reasons, I gave the book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to young people and those wishing to find success in their own life.

If life stinks get your head outta your buts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Britty01's review? Post a comment saying so!

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: The dandelion bouquet
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Invisible Realm by Evelyn Louise Dunbar-Webb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 05 Jul 2018, 10:04

"Yea, but" is a sentence starter I am so tired of hearing. I can see why the author doesn't think it is a worthwhile phrase. When my husband disagrees with me he likes to say that. I tell him there is no point in saying "yea" if it's followed by "but". I like the way this book is structured. I agree that a to-do list is helpful. Even writing down "pack lunch" would help me so I don't forget to grab it out of the fridge on my way out for work! The task list may help those like me whose wheels keep spinning settle down at night, trusting nothing will be overlooked the next day.

Great review. Glad this book was a worthwhile read for you. I actually tend to be a blunt person so I think his straight-forward approach would be appreciated.

Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 » 05 Jul 2018, 18:51

kfwilson6 wrote: ↑
05 Jul 2018, 10:04
"Yea, but" is a sentence starter I am so tired of hearing. I can see why the author doesn't think it is a worthwhile phrase. When my husband disagrees with me he likes to say that. I tell him there is no point in saying "yea" if it's followed by "but". I like the way this book is structured. I agree that a to-do list is helpful. Even writing down "pack lunch" would help me so I don't forget to grab it out of the fridge on my way out for work! The task list may help those like me whose wheels keep spinning settle down at night, trusting nothing will be overlooked the next day.

Great review. Glad this book was a worthwhile read for you. I actually tend to be a blunt person so I think his straight-forward approach would be appreciated.
Thank you kfwilson6. I tend to be a little direct myself sometimes, though I do my best to 'soften' it. As for hubby, at least he is acknowledging he heard you (with the yea) - :)

I have enjoyed reading a lot of your posts.

Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 148
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: power corrupts by nigel ruddin
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe » 06 Jul 2018, 12:25

Great review. ’Yeah, but’ really is a blocking phrase. Along with ’perhaps’. You know it really means ’no’. There are so many self-help books out there, it’s good to find one that’s different.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 » 23 Jul 2018, 21:04

Helen_Combe wrote: ↑
06 Jul 2018, 12:25
Great review. ’Yeah, but’ really is a blocking phrase. Along with ’perhaps’. You know it really means ’no’. There are so many self-help books out there, it’s good to find one that’s different.
LOL, so true.

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Mindfulness and Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Finding Paris A Menior of Hope by Paris Broker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 12 Sep 2018, 13:48

Clearly, this is a motivating book that doesn't pull any punches. I quite like the motivational books that acknowledge doubts and fears, though. I do like that Winston Churchill quote.

Espie
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 12 Sep 2018, 18:41

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.” – Sir Winston Spencer-Churchill.
Like you, I'd be fond of the above line, too. If the piece is as well-written, honest, and helpful as you found it to be, then it deserves to be in a "Want to Read" list despite the initial drawbacks its title could normally connote and evoke. Thank you for your straightforward review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Britty01
Currently Reading:

Post by Britty01 » 12 Sep 2018, 19:12

Espie wrote: ↑
12 Sep 2018, 18:41
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.” – Sir Winston Spencer-Churchill.
Like you, I'd be fond of the above line, too. If the piece is as well-written, honest, and helpful as you found it to be, then it deserves to be in a "Want to Read" list despite the initial drawbacks its title could normally connote and evoke. Thank you for your straightforward review.
Thank you for stopping by and commenting. I really loved the author's straight-forward approach.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”