Official Review: The Dementia Dance by Rosemary Barkes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Re: Official Review: The Dementia Dance by Rosemary Barkes

Post by Cecilia_L »

Caring for a family member with dementia can be so challenging and painful. I was relieved that you mentioned the story isn't depressing and touched by the example of the style show. It sounds like the author offers needed practical advice. Thanks for the great review!
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

This is a good book especially when having aging people around, I am compelled to learn more about how to deal with dementia as this could happen to anyone
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Cecilia_L wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 22:34 Caring for a family member with dementia can be so challenging and painful. I was relieved that you mentioned the story isn't depressing and touched by the example of the style show. It sounds like the author offers needed practical advice. Thanks for the great review!
Yes, there was a lot about acceptance and positives. Thanks for your response!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

shaz1994 wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 00:33 This is a good book especially when having aging people around, I am compelled to learn more about how to deal with dementia as this could happen to anyone
Hello and welcome to the site. Yes, this is very common and could affect many people at some stage, so it's a useful book. Thanks for your response!
Mod
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Not only does it seem like an interesting and inspiring read, it also seems like a great resource for those who are caretakers of people with dementia. It is definitely not easy taking care of them, and I am glad that this book is out there! Thanks for the amazing review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

My mother suffered stroke-induced dementia (and proceeded to acquire a host of other ailments) until she passed on in October of 2016. I would be happy to read this book (though it will undoubtedly make me weepy); my dad is also now exhibiting senile behavior at 90.

Caring for enfeebled loved ones is indeed challenging and often frustrating. Prayer is a constant refuge.

P.S. I became mother to my mom in the eight years that she reverted to childhood. Those were the most difficult years of my life, but also the most fulfilling. I am single and childless; that was my chance to become a mother: tough job.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

gen_g wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 10:30 Not only does it seem like an interesting and inspiring read, it also seems like a great resource for those who are caretakers of people with dementia. It is definitely not easy taking care of them, and I am glad that this book is out there! Thanks for the amazing review.
Thanks - it was reassuring somehow, even though the author didn't leave out the unpleasant stuff. She did note that they were quite lucky with her mother, though.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Miriam Molina wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 12:02 My mother suffered stroke-induced dementia (and proceeded to acquire a host of other ailments) until she passed on in October of 2016. I would be happy to read this book (though it will undoubtedly make me weepy); my dad is also now exhibiting senile behavior at 90.

Caring for enfeebled loved ones is indeed challenging and often frustrating. Prayer is a constant refuge.

P.S. I became mother to my mom in the eight years that she reverted to childhood. Those were the most difficult years of my life, but also the most fulfilling. I am single and childless; that was my chance to become a mother: tough job.
Whoa, very tough job. I admire you for walking through it.
Mod
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. Alzheimers and dementia are to me more frightening than cancer. This book sounds like an ideal guide to help people cope. I’m sure most people just put their head in the sand and hope it won’t hit them and theirs.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Helen_Combe wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 16:01 Great review. Alzheimers and dementia are to me more frightening than cancer. This book sounds like an ideal guide to help people cope. I’m sure most people just put their head in the sand and hope it won’t hit them and theirs.
I can relate to that. I think it's because you lose the person you know but they're still alive. The author gives some statistics at the beginning of the book - percentages of people with dementia at what ages. Actually, those were better than I had thought, but the numbers are still high enough that just hoping it will not affect any family member is probably not going to suffice. I found the book reassuring because most of the experiences with staff at the facilities etc. were positive - though the author does mention some exceptions. The reality is that part of adulting is to make sure funds are in place for this eventuality, ugh. The prospect of becoming dependent is really scary, though.

Anyway, thanks for reading and responding!
Mod
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 10:48
julessawyer wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 07:18 The author did a great job if it is a supposed to be a sad story but was told in not depressing manner. I like to read this one and see for myself how she did it. Thanks for your review. Your review can convince others to read a book like this. :)
Thanks for your response! It's all in the dance analogy really - you can't control the person or their illness but you can meet them where they are and get into harmony with them as they lead.
That is a great analogy. It is like a meet me half way kind of thinking. this kind of thinking requires patience, understanding and love of course.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Thanks for your response! It's all in the dance analogy really - you can't control the person or their illness but you can meet them where they are and get into harmony with them as they lead.
[/quote]

That is a great analogy. It is like a meet me half way kind of thinking. this kind of thinking requires patience, understanding and love of course.
[/quote]

Yes, lots. Thanks for your response.
Mod
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

This book could definitely come in handy. Ageing is part of life and impossible to avoid. Advice on how to handle that should be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I really enjoyed reading your review. I have read a couple of reviews on this book and I am sold. It sounds like a really honest, well-written book about a really difficult set of circumstances. We lost my mother-in-law to Alzheimer's. It is a long, challenge path. Thanks for the beautiful review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I could just imagine the dilemma of those whose loved one is affected by this malady. For instance, deciding whether to do what's good versus what our loved one wants could really be disconcerting. This book seems relevant and helpful, indeed. Thank you for your equally-insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”