Official Review: Reconciled by Dana Clark-Jackson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Re: Official Review: Reconciled by Dana Clark-Jackson

Post by Espie »

Lu_rire wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 12:41 Segregation was an ugly thing and I am glad the author was able to get through it, emotionally scarred but still strong and fighting.
I agree. The author's journey from segregation into reconciliation, and trials into triumph is revelational. Thank you.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

JR Mercier wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 03:55 This sounds like such an important book. People won't understand racial conflict until they have experienced it and I hope reads like this one will open some minds to the harsh truths about the racism that is still very much present. Loved your review.
JRMercier That is true. Racism still exists and penetrates on everybody's life. The crucial difference right now is it became latent. Unlike before that racism is explicit like apartheid, white only restaurant or black only school, or jobs designated to "yellow race". Racism exists until today. It has taken a different form. Books like this are much needed right now more than ever. :)
Espie

Post by Espie »

julessawyer wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 22:24
JR Mercier wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 03:55 This sounds like such an important book. People won't understand racial conflict until they have experienced it and I hope reads like this one will open some minds to the harsh truths about the racism that is still very much present. Loved your review.
JRMercier That is true. Racism still exists and penetrates on everybody's life. The crucial difference right now is it became latent. Unlike before that racism is explicit like apartheid, white only restaurant or black only school, or jobs designated to "yellow race". Racism exists until today. It has taken a different form. Books like this are much needed right now more than ever. :)
I agree that problems may still exist. I also believe that it's great to look at flaws so we could strive towards improvement, and also to know what good is already being done so such could be sustained, too. The book sheds light on the difference between then and now, and also shows somehow that change towards harmony is indeed possible. There's always hope.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
Bujix_02
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bujix_02 »

The socio-political environment of every civilization is only an effect of present technology of the era. I understand the book emotionally moved the readers heart on injustice, unfairness, or racial discrimination. Perhaps Dana's parent was in the situation wherein the fading ripples of slavery still clouded the logic among people who were indoctrinated as superior race. Slavery had been socially and politically accepted for the past several millennia. Black people were the first class slaves then before the American civil war. Slaves were the human-machines in the past and provides bio energy from their muscles for the sustainment and development of every empires. But on 1860 the internal combustion engine was invented, started the industrial revolution and gave birth to the idea of equality among people in the world. Nonetheless, the concept of slavery did not die with the birth of fuel-driven machines but it will eventually succumb into natural death. People with racial discrimination ideology will also die naturally and their descendants have great possibility to evolve into better rational being. So, the world is brighter and promising ahead.

Now we are entering the digital information age and i am optimistic that subtle form of slavery such as care giver, domestic helper, etc will also be replaced with artificial intel robots. Hence, slavery will be totally erased in the concept of the people.

Thanks madam for sharing your book review. Regards to sir pretty boy! Hehe
Espie

Post by Espie »

Bujix_02 wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 05:07 The socio-political environment of every civilization is only an effect of present technology of the era. I understand the book emotionally moved the readers heart on injustice, unfairness, or racial discrimination. Perhaps Dana's parent was in the situation wherein the fading ripples of slavery still clouded the logic among people who were indoctrinated as superior race. Slavery had been socially and politically accepted for the past several millennia. Black people were the first class slaves then before the American civil war. Slaves were the human-machines in the past and provides bio energy from their muscles for the sustainment and development of every empires. But on 1860 the internal combustion engine was invented, started the industrial revolution and gave birth to the idea of equality among people in the world. Nonetheless, the concept of slavery did not die with the birth of fuel-driven machines but it will eventually succumb into natural death. People with racial discrimination ideology will also die naturally and their descendants have great possibility to evolve into better rational being. So, the world is brighter and promising ahead.

Now we are entering the digital information age and i am optimistic that subtle form of slavery such as care giver, domestic helper, etc will also be replaced with artificial intel robots. Hence, slavery will be totally erased in the concept of the people.

Thanks madam for sharing your book review. Regards to sir pretty boy! Hehe
Wow! That is such an extensive, in-depth, and impressive feedback! Such are interesting and obviously-educated viewpoints on technological advancements and other forecasted trends, and how they have and would affect our societal standards and norms. In as much as you have pinpointed the negativities and areas that we need to improve on and address, I also admire your propensity for optimism and positivity in gauging and highlighting the good progress we've made so far and the brighter prospects we could all look forward to in the future.

It's a privilege to have been able to share my review with you and everyone. The time and effort you've exerted to thoroughly read and respond, although not required nor expected, are also much appreciated aside from being so admired. Those precious trinkets of thoughts you've got would also be better off being shared with the rest of us, indeed.

Kind regards as well.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Great review. It is inspiring to hear of people who overcome challenges in life, when it is all too easy to sit back and let life walk all over you.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I really enjoyed your detailed review! The author’s story is very interesting, especially being what she had to go through in a time when interracial couples were very controversial. Thanks for commenting on my review, sorry it took me a while to get to yours. :D
Espie

Post by Espie »

trajoe1206 wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 19:21 Great review. It is inspiring to hear of people who overcome challenges in life, when it is all too easy to sit back and let life walk all over you.
I've found such inspiration from the story as well. There are times, indeed, when moving on also entails stopping a while to rest and renew your spirits, or perhaps sitting back to have a clearer perspective. What will matter more is you learn and still see what's positive and could still arise from the situations we face. Thank you for sharing your wise and well-meant thoughts.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Momiji1987 wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 20:14 I really enjoyed your detailed review! The author’s story is very interesting, especially being what she had to go through in a time when interracial couples were very controversial. Thanks for commenting on my review, sorry it took me a while to get to yours. :D
Indeed. Relationships and child-rearing could already be difficult enough. Having legal and societal norms, which are supposed to support such but still don't, really have greater potential to make things worse. It's, thus, interesting to know how the author made it through with faith up high and trust in others still intact.

Kind or rightful acts are not always meant to be reciprocated, but it's amazing when people still choose to go out of their way to be and do. Thank you for taking the time to share precious trinkets of your thoughts.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like an intense read. I'm intrigued how Dana rises above her circumstances. Your review is great!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Espie

Post by Espie »

Cotwani wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 10:32 Sounds like an intense read. I'm intrigued how Dana rises above her circumstances. Your review is great!
There were instances that the author seemed to have held things back a bit but there were some where she had been more open, but I believe all of such were well-intended and part of her ongoing life journey. Dana is a remarkable woman, indeed.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and kind words. Such are much appreciated, Cotwani.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. If she’d been born out of wedlock in the UK at that time, she would gave been removed from her parents and put up for adoption. A particularly cruel practice as they wouldn’t even allow the mother to see the baby.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Espie

Post by Espie »

Helen_Combe wrote: 09 Nov 2018, 02:58 Great review. If she’d been born out of wedlock in the UK at that time, she would gave been removed from her parents and put up for adoption. A particularly cruel practice as they wouldn’t even allow the mother to see the baby.
For those who haven't lived at that time, that's quite unthinkable. It just makes me think there's more reason to be thankful for and hope that nobody has to unnecessarily suffer the same plight as those kids. Thank you for your appreciative and insightful comments.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

The last two questions raised at the beginning of this review deeply resonated with me. I found it really inspiring that, despite all the obstacles life threw at her, the author did not give in to living with anger, resentment and misery; a trap quite easy to fall into (and justifiable so, all things being considered). Instead, she forgave every party to her pain, including herself, and sought out ways to change her situation for the better in order to further assist others as well. Success stories, such as this, are poignant reminders that we are capable of overcoming challenges, however insurmountable they may seem.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Espie

Post by Espie »

Vickie Noel wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 03:00 The last two questions raised at the beginning of this review deeply resonated with me. I found it really inspiring that, despite all the obstacles life threw at her, the author did not give in to living with anger, resentment and misery - a trap quite easy to fall into (and justifiably so, all things being considered). Instead, she forgave every party to her pain, including herself, and sought out ways to change her situation for the better in order to further assist others as well. Success stories, such as this, are poignant reminders that we are capable of overcoming challenges, however insurmountable they may seem.
Exactly. However, it's always "easier said than done" as the cliche goes and I'd have to agree to. I admire those people who not only know what to do but also do as they should. Thank you for such a profound and insightful feedback.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”