Official Review: God(s) = Religion(s) vs Humanism

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Official Review: God(s) = Religion(s) vs Humanism

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God(s) = Religion(s) vs Humanism" by lucien armand.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Would it behoove us to find a new Religion for our modern time?”

The writer of GOD(S) + RELIGION(S) VS. HUMANISM, Lucien Armand, is a proponent of a new religious movement. The movement is to be termed as the Universal Humanistic Church. In this short book, Armand explores the pros and cons of the old and emerging religions. He proposes that the world needs a ‘new’ religion. The religion is to improve on the old ones and is to continue to lead humanity toward happiness in this life.

This book is in the genre of non-fiction. The author was motivated to write this book by his personal quest for enlightenment. The facts in the book prove that a good research was done. The book explores the origin of religions and Gods. The author also contrasts Science with Religion. Thereafter, having expounded on the shortcomings of the current religions, he proposes a new movement. This new movement will be based on ‘Ratiocracy’. This is a new concept that is different from Theocracy. It is stated that humanism will be the foundation and ultimate goal of the new religion. The Universal Humanist Church is seen as the solution to most of the problems facing the world. The author leaves some blank pages for the reader to give any feedback for the revised edition of the book to be produced.

What I liked most about the book is its ability to provoke thoughts through the questions posed. The other intriguing aspect is the use of historical facts. There are many allusions made to some historical events that were sparked by religion. The author is also open to objective opinions and critique. Having read the whole book, I still had so many questions unanswered. These are questions provoked by the author’s opinions. For example, the author states that a religion does not necessarily need a God in order for it to function. However, in the end, he senses that after his death, some congregants might begin complaining that a religion without God is not viable. Therefore, he proposes that such people be allowed to pray to the Unknown God. It is also quite evident that some challenges facing the current religions will befall this new movement.

The book is thought-provoking. This is an undeniable fact. The language used is simple. However, some terms are drawn from studies such as Anthropology. The author gives a warning to this effect, in the introduction. The book is also interesting. It was hard to put down the book once I began reading it. There are a couple of typos though. These include words that are not capitalized and the repeated use of a full stop instead of a coma.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The typos highlighted have a little impact on the overall rating of the book. I would say that this book is well-written. The author has tried as much as possible to make the new movement appealing. However, I would say that the only shortcoming is that he is biased. The book is a good read for Christians, Muslims, and those of other or no religious inclination as well. I would particularly recommend it to Christian apologists.

God(s) = Religion(s) vs Humanism
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kibetious's review? Post a comment saying so!
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I read your review and glad you found the book interesting and thought-provoking.Personally, I don't think this book is for me. It's not so much the questioning of other religions or science, etc, but more to do with the fact that it's trying to promote a new movement, to which I'm really not open to.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I would be interested in hearing what the author says. I do not believe in a new religion or in the humanism movement. However, learning his views, as you say, would be good for apologist. Thanks for wonderful review.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

melissy370 wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 06:03 I would be interested in hearing what the author says. I do not believe in a new religion or in the humanism movement. However, learning his views, as you say, would be good for apologist. Thanks for wonderful review.
This is my view. It could be helpful for apologists as you state. Thanks for the reply.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 08:50 I read your review and glad you found the book interesting and thought-provoking.Personally, I don't think this book is for me. It's not so much the questioning of other religions or science, etc, but more to do with the fact that it's trying to promote a new movement, to which I'm really not open to.
Thanks a lot. It is really thought-provoking. I am grateful for the reply.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This is a book i will love to read cause need to have a feel of his ideas . Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Now that "the author states that a religion does not necessarily need a God in order for it to function," I wonder what he says is a origin of religions and Gods. Informative and intriguing review!
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

topdan30 wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 10:09 This is a book i will love to read cause need to have a feel of his ideas . Thanks for the great review.
Sure, at least from there you will get to understand why the author is proposing a new movement. Thanks for the reply.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 13:01 Now that "the author states that a religion does not necessarily need a God in order for it to function," I wonder what he says is a origin of religions and Gods. Informative and intriguing review!
It is a completely new idea that I am not sure whether it can work or not. Thanks for the reply.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

A new religion for humankind...what an interesting concept! Your review gives a very good sense of the book, which sounds well-crafted. I might consider reading this book.
teevic_o
Currently Reading: Paladin
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teevic-o.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by teevic_o »

Interesting review. Everything about the birth of religions and a religion needing a God are questions I ask myself constantly, especially now that humanity seems to be on the other end. Forgive me, but for some reason throughout your review I was reminded of Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code". I do like thought provoking reads, and your review is thought-provoking enough to make me want to read the book you've just reviewed my friend.
What we achieve inwardly will change our outer reality far more greatly than anything else.
~Plutarch
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Lovely review but this book is most definitely not for me. A new religion? Really? I like that it is thought-provoking though. Seems well-written.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Julie Green wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 14:02 A new religion for humankind...what an interesting concept! Your review gives a very good sense of the book, which sounds well-crafted. I might consider reading this book.
Sure, it is an interesting concept. Thanks for the reply and I hope that you will enjoy reading the book.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Ijeoma Kikelomo wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 13:45 Lovely review but this book is most definitely not for me. A new religion? Really? I like that it is thought-provoking though. Seems well-written.
The author suggests that it is probably time that human beings thought of something else. Thanks for the reply.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

When you pointed out that the author was bias, I decided to bypass reading this book. I don't want to debate about the religions, so I will pick other books which could spark my interest. Thank you for the succinct review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”