Official Review: God(s) = Religion(s) vs Humanism

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
User avatar
Kibetious
Posts: 1118
Joined: 26 Jul 2017, 01:48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 496
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator by Penny Singham

Official Review: God(s) = Religion(s) vs Humanism

Post by Kibetious » 27 Jun 2018, 05:38

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God(s) = Religion(s) vs Humanism" by lucien armand.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review


“Would it behoove us to find a new Religion for our modern time?”

The writer of GOD(S) + RELIGION(S) VS. HUMANISM, Lucien Armand, is a proponent of a new religious movement. The movement is to be termed as the Universal Humanistic Church. In this short book, Armand explores the pros and cons of the old and emerging religions. He proposes that the world needs a ‘new’ religion. The religion is to improve on the old ones and is to continue to lead humanity toward happiness in this life.

This book is in the genre of non-fiction. The author was motivated to write this book by his personal quest for enlightenment. The facts in the book prove that a good research was done. The book explores the origin of religions and Gods. The author also contrasts Science with Religion. Thereafter, having expounded on the shortcomings of the current religions, he proposes a new movement. This new movement will be based on ‘Ratiocracy’. This is a new concept that is different from Theocracy. It is stated that humanism will be the foundation and ultimate goal of the new religion. The Universal Humanist Church is seen as the solution to most of the problems facing the world. The author leaves some blank pages for the reader to give any feedback for the revised edition of the book to be produced.

What I liked most about the book is its ability to provoke thoughts through the questions posed. The other intriguing aspect is the use of historical facts. There are many allusions made to some historical events that were sparked by religion. The author is also open to objective opinions and critique. Having read the whole book, I still had so many questions unanswered. These are questions provoked by the author’s opinions. For example, the author states that a religion does not necessarily need a God in order for it to function. However, in the end, he senses that after his death, some congregants might begin complaining that a religion without God is not viable. Therefore, he proposes that such people be allowed to pray to the Unknown God. It is also quite evident that some challenges facing the current religions will befall this new movement.

The book is thought-provoking. This is an undeniable fact. The language used is simple. However, some terms are drawn from studies such as Anthropology. The author gives a warning to this effect, in the introduction. The book is also interesting. It was hard to put down the book once I began reading it. There are a couple of typos though. These include words that are not capitalized and the repeated use of a full stop instead of a coma.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The typos highlighted have a little impact on the overall rating of the book. I would say that this book is well-written. The author has tried as much as possible to make the new movement appealing. However, I would say that the only shortcoming is that he is biased. The book is a good read for Christians, Muslims, and those of other or no religious inclination as well. I would particularly recommend it to Christian apologists.

******
God(s) = Religion(s) vs Humanism
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kibetious's review? Post a comment saying so!
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

User avatar
Georgia Lyonhyde
Posts: 192
Joined: 05 Jul 2018, 15:17
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde » 27 Sep 2018, 08:50

I read your review and glad you found the book interesting and thought-provoking.Personally, I don't think this book is for me. It's not so much the questioning of other religions or science, etc, but more to do with the fact that it's trying to promote a new movement, to which I'm really not open to.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:

User avatar
melissy370
Posts: 717
Joined: 15 Nov 2017, 09:49
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Cholama Moon by Anne Schroeder
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 » 28 Sep 2018, 06:03

I would be interested in hearing what the author says. I do not believe in a new religion or in the humanism movement. However, learning his views, as you say, would be good for apologist. Thanks for wonderful review.

User avatar
Kibetious
Posts: 1118
Joined: 26 Jul 2017, 01:48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 496
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator by Penny Singham

Post by Kibetious » 04 Oct 2018, 07:13

melissy370 wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 06:03
I would be interested in hearing what the author says. I do not believe in a new religion or in the humanism movement. However, learning his views, as you say, would be good for apologist. Thanks for wonderful review.
This is my view. It could be helpful for apologists as you state. Thanks for the reply.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

User avatar
Kibetious
Posts: 1118
Joined: 26 Jul 2017, 01:48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 496
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator by Penny Singham

Post by Kibetious » 04 Oct 2018, 07:14

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 08:50
I read your review and glad you found the book interesting and thought-provoking.Personally, I don't think this book is for me. It's not so much the questioning of other religions or science, etc, but more to do with the fact that it's trying to promote a new movement, to which I'm really not open to.
Thanks a lot. It is really thought-provoking. I am grateful for the reply.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

User avatar
topdan30
Posts: 301
Joined: 26 Jul 2018, 10:12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by topdan30 » 06 Oct 2018, 10:09

This is a book i will love to read cause need to have a feel of his ideas . Thanks for the great review.

User avatar
Rosemary Khathibe
Posts: 493
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 16:48
2018 Reading Goal: 55
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 47
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour at Number 18 by Hawa Crickmore

Post by Rosemary Khathibe » 07 Oct 2018, 13:01

Now that "the author states that a religion does not necessarily need a God in order for it to function," I wonder what he says is a origin of religions and Gods. Informative and intriguing review!

User avatar
Kibetious
Posts: 1118
Joined: 26 Jul 2017, 01:48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 496
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator by Penny Singham

Post by Kibetious » 08 Oct 2018, 00:17

topdan30 wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 10:09
This is a book i will love to read cause need to have a feel of his ideas . Thanks for the great review.
Sure, at least from there you will get to understand why the author is proposing a new movement. Thanks for the reply.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

User avatar
Kibetious
Posts: 1118
Joined: 26 Jul 2017, 01:48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 496
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator by Penny Singham

Post by Kibetious » 08 Oct 2018, 00:19

Rosemary Khathibe wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 13:01
Now that "the author states that a religion does not necessarily need a God in order for it to function," I wonder what he says is a origin of religions and Gods. Informative and intriguing review!
It is a completely new idea that I am not sure whether it can work or not. Thanks for the reply.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

User avatar
Julie Green
Posts: 569
Joined: 31 May 2018, 17:36
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green » 09 Oct 2018, 14:02

A new religion for humankind...what an interesting concept! Your review gives a very good sense of the book, which sounds well-crafted. I might consider reading this book.

teevic_o
Posts: 29
Joined: 08 Sep 2018, 13:09
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading: Paladin
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teevic-o.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by teevic_o » 09 Oct 2018, 19:36

Interesting review. Everything about the birth of religions and a religion needing a God are questions I ask myself constantly, especially now that humanity seems to be on the other end. Forgive me, but for some reason throughout your review I was reminded of Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code". I do like thought provoking reads, and your review is thought-provoking enough to make me want to read the book you've just reviewed my friend.
What we achieve inwardly will change our outer reality far more greatly than anything else.
~Plutarch

User avatar
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Posts: 261
Joined: 19 Jul 2018, 14:08
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Killer Competition by Tom Kranz

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo » 10 Oct 2018, 13:45

Lovely review but this book is most definitely not for me. A new religion? Really? I like that it is thought-provoking though. Seems well-written.

User avatar
Kibetious
Posts: 1118
Joined: 26 Jul 2017, 01:48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 496
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator by Penny Singham

Post by Kibetious » 11 Oct 2018, 02:22

Julie Green wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 14:02
A new religion for humankind...what an interesting concept! Your review gives a very good sense of the book, which sounds well-crafted. I might consider reading this book.
Sure, it is an interesting concept. Thanks for the reply and I hope that you will enjoy reading the book.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

User avatar
Kibetious
Posts: 1118
Joined: 26 Jul 2017, 01:48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 496
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator by Penny Singham

Post by Kibetious » 11 Oct 2018, 02:23

Ijeoma Kikelomo wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 13:45
Lovely review but this book is most definitely not for me. A new religion? Really? I like that it is thought-provoking though. Seems well-written.
The author suggests that it is probably time that human beings thought of something else. Thanks for the reply.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

User avatar
Dolor
Posts: 2038
Joined: 07 Nov 2017, 14:41
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11784
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor » 12 Oct 2018, 03:57

When you pointed out that the author was bias, I decided to bypass reading this book. I don't want to debate about the religions, so I will pick other books which could spark my interest. Thank you for the succinct review.

Post Reply

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”