Official Review: The Winning You by Sanket Pai

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: The Winning You by Sanket Pai

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Winning You" by Sanket Pai.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Winning you: Master Your Focus is a quick, comprehensive guide on how to focus all your attention. Filled with to the point tips, this guide is a great way to start yourself on the path of success and discipline.

I admit that I am not much one for self-help books. I’ve always regarded them as something that regurgitates what we all already know, but just in a more sophisticated manner. And to a point, it is. We all recognize what is good for us, but we struggle to follow it because how? How do we make such a drastic change?

The Winning You: Master your Focus starts on the most fundamental change we need to make: focus. The author makes it even easier by dividing the book into three concise parts: Part A: Sort it out; Part B: Straighten and standardize, and Part C: Sustain for Results. Each part starts with a clear goal and adds in a quote, and who doesn’t love an inspirational quote? The format is clear, to the point and easy to read, allowing the reader to focus completely on the text.

Pai Sanket’s writing is fluid and easy, leaving behind all the clutter and focusing instead on the crucial parts. He establishes a goal and builds on it instead of adding pages and pages of analogies that most readers skip over. A lot of self-help books become repetitive and a chore to read. Sanket’s easy read had me turning pages without thought to how much of the book was still left to read.

I loved that the author also added tips behind each section and cautions the reader that any change takes time. He advises to start off small and build on that goal instead of setting unrealistic goals and then losing drive when it isn't completed. One thing Sanket recommended was kanban, an easy planner that was developed by Taiichi Ohno while working as an industrial engineer for Toyota. I’ve since started using it, and I already perceive a difference in my focus during the day.

I’ve always thought of myself as disciplined but many things Sanket was pointing out were things I was doing. It hit me like a ton of bricks, the small things I do that take so much valuable time out of my day. I could hear the Game of Thrones ‘Shame! Shame! Shame!' chant in my head. And while he does focus on work, he emphasizes that healthy time management means making time for your friends and family, but mostly for yourself.

I rate The Winning You: Master Your Focus 4 out of 4 stars. Besides being an easy read with excellent advice, The Winning You: Master Your Focus had impeccable writing and I noticed no typos. Overall, it was a short, refreshing read that helped me identify why I'm not doing the things I set out to do, and how to change that by using simple and easy steps that anyone can implement into their life.

The Winning You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This could be a beneficial book for those of us, including me, who might be termed as "clatter brains" figuratively and literally. We could not help but think of so many things at the same time. Or thinking of one thing, we could not prevent other things from coming in. This could be a must-read for me. Thank you for your interesting review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

Now I wonder if I can wait to read this book! I don't see myself as that focused, and this self-help book might help. I like the way the author was realistic in saying that changes take time. Many books will make you feel like you aren't good enough if your change is hard coming by. I like your honesty too. Not everyone would easily admit how a book they read helped or is helping them. Thanks for this, Mercier.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 22:31 This could be a beneficial book for those of us, including me, who might be termed as "clatter brains" figuratively and literally. We could not help but think of so many things at the same time. Or thinking of one thing, we could not prevent other things from coming in. This could be a must-read for me. Thank you for your interesting review.
It really is. I've noticed a difference since I read this book. I'm doing more work and in less time and I've been making time to do things like playing tennis again and reading for fun. Definitely helped.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

SereneCharles wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 23:03 Now I wonder if I can wait to read this book! I don't see myself as that focused, and this self-help book might help. I like the way the author was realistic in saying that changes take time. Many books will make you feel like you aren't good enough if your change is hard coming by. I like your honesty too. Not everyone would easily admit how a book they read helped or is helping them. Thanks for this, Mercier.
AAwww. :D Thank you! And it really did help. The things you can change are small things but they make a huge difference.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the amazing review! This seems like an inspiring read indeed.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

gen_g wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 02:35 Thank you for the amazing review! This seems like an inspiring read indeed.
It definitely is! Thank you! :D
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review and it sounds like a really useful book. I spend most of my life going upstairs for something and coming back down, having forgotten what I went up for.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I don't know who said it first, but the last self-help book I read said that success is knowing how to focus, when to focus, and for how long. I'd never thought about it that way, but it makes sense. That being the case, this one may be the most effective self-help book. I used to be more focused but, 3 small children later, I'm thinking I need to read this! (lol) I would have passed on it but for your super-helpful review. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

SamSim wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 04:54 I don't know who said it first, but the last self-help book I read said that success is knowing how to focus, when to focus, and for how long. I'd never thought about it that way, but it makes sense. That being the case, this one may be the most effective self-help book. I used to be more focused but, 3 small children later, I'm thinking I need to read this! (lol) I would have passed on it but for your super-helpful review. Thanks!
It's super simple and really easy things! And yet, it makes a great difference. And KIDDIES! I'm sorry. I just love kiddies :lol2: :lol2: Thank you for the comment!
ParadoxicalWoman
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 579
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradoxicalwoman.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2022 Reading Goal: 10
2022 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by ParadoxicalWoman »

I like this "...start off small and build on that goal instead of setting unrealistic goals..." which really serves as a reminder to me. Many of us do the other way round instead of starting small. The narration of this book sounds straightforward. I think reading this will feel like as if my weakness points are pin pointed and come up with solutions to rectify them. Thank you for such insightful review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

How desperately I need to work on focusing my attention. Amazing review!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Helen_Combe wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 04:38 Great review and it sounds like a really useful book. I spend most of my life going upstairs for something and coming back down, having forgotten what I went up for.
I can totally relate. :lol2:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 10:28 I like this "...start off small and build on that goal instead of setting unrealistic goals..." which really serves as a reminder to me. Many of us do the other way round instead of starting small. The narration of this book sounds straightforward. I think reading this will feel like as if my weakness points are pin pointed and come up with solutions to rectify them. Thank you for such insightful review.
Thank you for the great comment! And it is important to start small. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

daniya__shah3 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 11:58 How desperately I need to work on focusing my attention. Amazing review!
You're amazing! And I think anyone that loves reading can relate. :lol2:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”