Official Review: Six Days of Impossible Navy SEAL Hell Week

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Official Review: Six Days of Impossible Navy SEAL Hell Week

Post by KRay93 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Six Days of Impossible Navy SEAL Hell Week" by Robert Adams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Six Days of Impossible: Navy SEAL Hell Week by Robert Adams is a memoir in which the author recounts his experience during the third week of the first phase of Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) training, also known as Hell Week. Here, the potential candidates are subjected to an enormous physical, mental and companionship effort, where approximately two-thirds of the initial group usually quits, either by physical discomfort, pain, sheer fatigue or sleep deprivation.

Robert begins the book by telling a little about his family background (which includes several ancestors who were members of the navy), particularly focusing on the moment in which he decided to become a Navy SEAL. Then, the author begins to describe the experiences he underwent during the initial weeks of the first phase, to finally reach the much-feared Hell Week. Here, Robert relates the rigorous training to which he was subjected along with his other fellow recruits, who started out being 70 to end up being less than 20.

The prose of the book is quite fluid and bearable, even on the occasions in which the author narrates some technical aspects of his experience. Robert, now a doctor of medicine, provides very valuable and enriching scientific information about the physical demands to which he and his companions were subjected. Additionally, he narrates a few events from the perspective of some of his fellow recruits. These brief segments provide a much-needed fresh look that breaks with the monotony that arises during some passages of the book, whose content revolves around men overcoming their physical limits through sheer mental will.

There are only two things that I do not like about this book. First, it is important to mention that the events surrounding the Hell Week begin to be told almost in the middle of the text. While it is necessary to make an introduction around the author's life and the first weeks of the training course, I think that this text would have benefited from introducing the center of its purpose earlier in its extension. Then, there is a series of photos that the author adds two-thirds into the book. While the inclusion of this content is welcome, it should have been placed at the end so as not to interrupt the narrative flow of the text.

All things considered, I think this book delivers what it proposes. Apart from the few issues that I mentioned, I must add that the editing work is quite acceptable. I only detected a few errors regarding the formatting of certain paragraphs along with a couple of missing double quotation marks in dialogues. Taking all this into account, I think the most appropriate thing is to give it 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to those who consider submitting to such a challenging experience. I also suggest it to those who wish to know more about the selection process of the armed forces of the United States.

Six Days of Impossible Navy SEAL Hell Week
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KRay93's review? Post a comment saying so!
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

This looks like an interesting book. I've noticed a trend in true story books bublished professionally; what you expect the book to be about takes a smaller portion than expected/necessary. Maybe it's a selling strategy or a result of publishers/editors requesting the book be beefed up with a personal background.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've seen several shows on TV about this, and I do find it fascinating. So, I think I would very much enjoy this book despite the issues you mentioned. Thanks for introducing us to this one. I'm going to have to go look for it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Fascinating! I've always been curious about what exactly is involved in Hell Week, having heard about it third-hand through navy veterans who were not SEALs. Your review makes me want to check it out despite the fact that the really interesting stuff is at the middle. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Githumaina19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-githumaina19.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Githumaina19 »

This book leaves you breathless in some instances and then also gets you thinking how every human has their own hell week constantly in their head and in their privacy
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Interesting! My uncles were the navy in my country but I didn't know much of their story. By reading this, I think I will have something to talk about with my uncles and compare the author's experiences of being a navy and theirs'. Thank you for you review in this.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

It is interesting to read about how soldiers are formed and trained. I think I will give it a try.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Thanks for your review. I'm fascinated by all things related to Navy SEALs - even wrote a speech about them in high school. So despite some of the issues you mentioned, I'd definitely be interested in checking out this book.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Thanks for the review. I am not particularly drawn to have a read but i appreciate the clarity and insight.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Your review really piqued my interest in this book. I have always wondered about the training they receive. I imaging the very limits of human capacity is really interesting to witness. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”