Official Review: I See Greatness In You by Larry Ragland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: I See Greatness In You by Larry Ragland

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I See Greatness In You" by Larry Ragland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I See Greatness in You by Larry Ragland is a nonfiction work that endeavors to help readers realize their full potential. The author shares his life story and his faith in God, which has helped him overcome many struggles. Interspersed throughout the autobiographical account are well-known stories from the Bible, presented in a manner that reveals the similarity between these accounts and our own personal journeys.

The writing within this book is of high quality and virtually free of errors. The authors presents his life story and the accompanying Bible stories in a straightforward manner that contained just the right amount of detail. And although some very serious events from the author's life are touched upon, he keeps the tone of the book friendly and conversational, with some occasional humor thrown in. I don't typically become deeply immersed in nonfiction books, but this one was an exception.

I also want to commend the author for the excellent transitions he made between his own story and the ones highlighted from the Bible. Moving back and forth between two separate narratives can be tricky, and oftentimes feels jerky and disjointed, but the author successfully transitioned from the different stories in a fluid manner that did not detract from the reading. The Bible stories themselves were also presented in such a way that those who are unfamiliar with the Bible would not have difficulty relating to them. One purpose of this book was to highlight the parallels between the lives of Biblical heroes and the "average" person, and I would say that the endeavor was successful.

In addition, I was also moved by the author's courage in sharing his personal story, and by his genuine concern for other people. This book was clearly not written for self-gratification; rather, the author chose to share his story as an example of how God can use those who have suffered to do great things. The author is not merely "preaching," but demonstrating a genuine desire to uplift others, and it resonates throughout the book.

As for any criticisms of this book, I am happy to say that I have none. I See Greatness in You is a well written book, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars, and while I would primarily recommend this book to Christian readers, I would also suggest it to those who have faced hardships and need some words of encouragement.

I See Greatness In You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I love the title of this book and the iceberg on the cover. Sounds like a great read. Really enjoyed your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thank you very much! I was also very drawn to the cover, it fits the book well.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Amas001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Amas001 »

The book looks very attractive and the title sounds great.
kiaraa_torress
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kiaraa_torress »

I see greatness in you by Larry Ragland, is an amazing book, I highly recommend it for Christian readers. It speaks about daily struggles and makes references to the Bible.
mariacarolinea
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariacarolinea.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mariacarolinea »

I was also caught by the cover. It's interesting that the iceberg is used for a positive message. I do think it's amazing the author knew how to balance his life and God's teachings. Incredible review, congratulations :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sadly, I've tried book after book like this and they don't really help me. I appreciate the author's faith. I think I'll pass on this but thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wycliffe-Lukalo
Currently Reading:

Post by Wycliffe-Lukalo »

Indeed this book is great this is because it is about real life experience and whoever reads will never be the same again after reading it.
Shallu

Post by Shallu »

The title fits the book well.
Maina Kevin92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Maina Kevin92 »

Based on the cover and the title of the book it is easy to relate to the depth of the content of the book and the level of thought that went into it.
Also the spiritual comparisons and the seamless bible related contexts are the crown jewels of the book.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love inspirational books, especially those with a balance between scripture and real life. Thanks for your descriptive review. I love the cover art, too!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This sounds like an uplifting, faith-supporting read. I want to read it and I enjoyed your great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

One can find inspiration and hoe in this book, something not many books can offer.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

I do want an inspirational book but laden with bible text is a little too much for me! but thanks for the review. :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”