Official Review: On Broken Pieces by Carolyn C. Carlisle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Official Review: On Broken Pieces by Carolyn C. Carlisle

Post by crediblereading2 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "On Broken Pieces" by Carolyn C. Carlisle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever been a victim of domestic abuse? If so, have your church ever offered you moral, financial, and spiritual support? These are some of the issues addressed by Rev. Dr. Carolyn C. Carlisle, author of the book, On Broken Pieces, which is categorized within the Non-Fiction book genre. It is a memoir that speaks about the abuse of her life subsequent to six (6) months of marriage. This fast-paced, inspirational book seeks to address the role of the church regarding the perils of domestic abuses. It is intended for persons who have experienced real trauma in relationships and are suffering in silence, without any adequate support.

In the scenario, Author Carlisle describes her life as a married Christian woman. Subsequent to six (6) months of marriage, she realizes that her husband is over friendly with a woman who lives next door. When she contacts him about it, he utterly abuses her. From thereon his behavior grows progressively worse. She is slapped in her face, verbally abused and futuristically abused by her husband over the years. She leaves the marital home several times but always returns. During this period, she remains a devoted Christian who possesses major roles in the church but remains silent about her abuse. She constantly ponders why is it that the Church is so silent on the topic of abuse.

I must confess that when I first saw the topic of the book, I did not feel any immediate intrigue, because it seems so cliche and mundane. However, once I started reading the book, I was so enthralled by the writing style of Author Carlisle that I kept turning the pages with much urgency, anticipating the brilliantly worded account of her life story and ideas. I have observed that Author Carlisle’s language is crisp, clear, lucid, and emanates her confidence and caring personality. I love how she stresses on the need of the leaders of the church to become more proactive in the support of abused persons, especially women. They usually suffer in silence while performing their duties as Christians within many churches. It is a responsibility that Jesus would have carried out. She proffers evidence found in the Gospel of Luke 4: 18-19 where Jesus called for the early Christians to practice social justice. She also makes mention of Actor Tyler Perry, a victim of abuse, who speaks candidly on the topic and receives liberating results.

Author Carlisle makes reference to various Bible stories, quotes, and other books concerning the treatment of domestic abuse. The story of Ammon sexually abusing his sister Tamar is one such story. Tamar became a desolate and devalued Princess in her brother’s house. She felt so ashamed and helpless that she went into mourning publicly, washed her head with ashes and tore her garment. King David, Ammon’s father did not protect his daughter in her ordeal, as a father should. He chose to remain silent on the matter, which is so similar to the stance taken by the church in today's society.

While conducting her doctoral studies at the United Theological Seminary in Dayton, Ohio, Author Carlisle was a part of the Biblical and Ethical Engagement for Social and Ethical Imperatives Cohort Group. The group created new paradigms in Ministry that address social and moral problems faced by many people. It is with this knowledge and experience that she is able to finally implement in the church, a number of tests that include surveys, research, polls, and focus groups. These are to measure the aftereffects of guilt and shame, experienced by victims of domestic abuse and which is actually the mood that is felt in the passages of the book. The main objective of these tests is to provide healing to the victims by the end of the tests. I am, however, disappointed that few of the women in the focus group dropped out prior to the end of the sessions. This shows that not many victims of abuse are actually ready to share their story of guilt, shame, and abuse, in order to receive healing.

This is a book that I will highly recommend to be read by persons who are experiencing any form of abuse, whether it is sexual, domestic, or verbal abuse. I have not seen any editorial errors; therefore, I will confer a 4 out of 4 stars rating on this book.

On Broken Pieces
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like crediblereading2's review? Post a comment saying so!
Josh2crown
Currently Reading: Zeva
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Josh2crown »

Domestic violence or abuse is a common menace bedeviling our society today, this ordeal has been neglected/ given less attention to. It's a good development to have a book written to address this issue in one of the biggest social institution as the religious settings, it should also cut across all social institutes. Great job, Rev. Dr. Carolyn C.
Samuel Reads1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Samuel Reads1 »

This is a major societal issue that many have chosen to remain silent about. I commend Rev. Dr. Carolyn Carlisle for speaking out on this matter through her book. Well done!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I applaud her for speaking out about this. It's so often the case that people know or suspect abuse and ignore it. This is a hard topic and I'm so glad this is being spoken about. Bravo! Thank you for this great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

As a devout Christian and survivor of domestic abuse, I had an experience very similar to the author's as described in your review. Unfortunately, I think most church leaders just aren't trained to deal with this serious issue. It's my hope that books like this will help bring about change. I enjoyed your review and have added this to my bookshelves.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This sounds like a bravely written book! I agree that the church often doesn't do enough to prevent and address domestic issues like these. The church should be a refuge full of people you can be safely honest with and who want to help. I hope books like this help correct this problem. Good review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

SamSim wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 20:52 This sounds like a bravely written book! I agree that the church often doesn't do enough to prevent and address domestic issues like these. The church should be a refuge full of people you can be safely honest with and who want to help. I hope books like this help correct this problem. Good review!
I totally agree with SamSim! This book definitely seems like a courageous step towards making the church a more friendly place, especially in this day and age. Thank you for the great review!
Kmdehn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmdehn.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Kmdehn »

Just from reading this review I already feel so very connected to the message. As a survivor of domestic abuse, I know how it feels to want to help others in a similar situation. The more women who come forward and share their stories, the more women who will find the strength they need to get away. This book sounds like a truly powerful piece of literature. Thank you for giving it a powerful review!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, but I’m not sure how the church can be expected to help if they don’t know that someone is being abused. The first step must be to create an environment where people feel they can ask for help. Which I assume is what this book intends.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

The book is interesting because it touches difficult issues for an entire community. Thank you for the review.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

In our privatized world, many church leaders believe it is none of their business in life outside of church. Not to be busybodies, but we do need to know some details of the lives of other church members to support them. People who are abused need to know that it is ok to voice their fears and pain. There is no fear in prefect love and God is love. Thanks for your review. This one sounds like an interesting read.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I’m definitely mentioning this book to my mom. She got out of an abusive marriage not too long ago. The church abandoned her and justified his actions. I suppose it didn’t help that the preacher was his best friend.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

She sounds like a brave woman. I hope her book touches someone's life that reads it. Good review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Nma26
Currently Reading: Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nma26.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Nma26 »

I pray this gets into the handsof everyone who has ever been a victim of domestic abuse.I also pray the victims find the courage to open up and receive healing.What a book! Thanks for the review.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

There is something very unique and touching about a personal story of emotional or physical abuse. The author was very brave to come out openly about it, especially in a church setup where, as she rightly puts it, victims rarely come out to report and receive help. This read can be a step towards healing for those who have suffered abuse but don't know how to go about remedying the situation. Great job.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”