Official Review: Notes From the Trenches by Gary H. Foster

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Notes From the Trenches by Gary H. Foster

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Notes From the Trenches" by Gary H. Foster.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Get an in-depth look into World War I from a soldier’s perspective. Leo Foster’s eagerness, pride, humor, bravery and sense of patriotism will surprise you in Notes from the Trenches by Gary H. Foster. His life continues to inspire his lineage with many following in his footsteps.

A young musician of German ancestry from Wisconsin joins the 32nd division famously known as ‘Les Terribles’. His new journey takes him across the states, then to France and finally to Germany in a bid to fight for his country even if this means that he loses his life in the process.

Told by Leo Foster’s grandson Gary H. Foster who served in the Navy, Notes from the Trenches reveals the content of many letters that Leo wrote to his family. His mother and sisters seem to have been quite close to him. Even in the heat of war, Leo good-heartedly continues to taunt his sisters in his notes. His concern for Kuni, Mary, Tillie and his mother, Barbara shows in every letter. It is clear that he was more concerned over their welfare more than his own as he made every effort to reassure and encourage them.

Perhaps the most impressive bit of Foster’s book is that it reveals the true picture of war, the sacrifice that families have to endure both for the soldiers in the front lines and the family members left behind. Leo’s mother, Barbara, must have been a strong woman to have endured all she went through and still hold on and hope for the return of her son. The destructive nature of war is shown especially in the later letters written by Leo.

The letters are obviously in the first person which adds to the storyline’s authenticity. Leo’s humor as he constantly refers to his weight and love for ‘eats’ adds a unique comical strand which helps to lighten the weight of the account. His mention of love interests heightened the book’s appeal and gave me a glimpse of his personality.

The book is very well researched. Every letter is carefully placed in chronological order and life after World War I is also covered.

Ultimately, Notes from the Trenches fosters the spirit of patriotism and touches on an incredibly important part of history that shaped whole nations. It also reveals a history that is too powerful to be forgotten and a people’s resilience and bravery that should always be valued. I rate Gary H. Foster’s account 4 out of 4 stars.

Notes From the Trenches
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Thanks for the detailed review. I like the fact that the book doesn't delve too much on the actual war, but the inner thoughts and feelings of Leo are represented on paper.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

This detailed review provides the reader with a good insight into this remarkable book. I think it is worth reading from an historical point of view but also to get an understanding of the personal sacrifices for those engaged in war but also for their families and loved ones left behind and their day to day lives. The humor this young soldier conveys in his letters and his sharing of his feelings adds to its depth.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoy the fact that this reveals the "true picture of war." I think sometimes in books and movies, it is a bit glamorized. This definitely sounds like a good book to read. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

This sounds like a great book. I am looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the great review!
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:

Post by EmunahAn »

Nimat87 wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 02:57 Thanks for the detailed review. I like the fact that the book doesn't delve too much on the actual war, but the inner thoughts and feelings of Leo are represented on paper.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:

Post by EmunahAn »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 11:36 I enjoy the fact that this reveals the "true picture of war." I think sometimes in books and movies, it is a bit glamorized. This definitely sounds like a good book to read. Thanks for the review.
It is actually pretty authentic. Thanks for your comment.
― Nora Ephron
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

War is glorified by a lot of movies and books. The fact this is the thoughts of a soldier makes it a personal ordeal that shows how awful it is. This sounds like a fantastic read. Thank you for the great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the great review! I love a book which is well-researched, and this seems to be exactly it. The premise looks intriguing as well, so I'm definitely thinking about picking this up!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love history and I love a good biography, but a collection of personal letters is even more exciting, especially considering the events in which Foster participated. I'll definitely be checking this out. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I have read quite a few books set in World War 2, but have found it harder to to find books on the first world war. This sounds like one that brings the awfulness of war to life well. I really like your review as it is very clear and descriptive.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Really nice review. It is interesting reading books about war, as I find it makes me consider my own feelings about it - especially when a book reveals the true nature of conflict, which this one seems to do.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”