Official Review: The Humor and Wisdom of the Aged

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Humor and Wisdom of the Aged

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Humor and Wisdom of the Aged" by Euclid Isbell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Humor and Wisdom of the Aged is a short book that contains sayings in three different categories: Wisdom, Humor and Inspiration. The book only consists of around 120 pages, and the sayings are approximately 3 to 4 lines. The book can easily be read in one sitting or you could potentially read a proverb a day.

In the section entitled Wisdom, there are general quotes relating to life. One of my favorites is: "Diplomacy is letting someone else have your way." Humor obviously includes witty or fun adages. For example: "Thank you from the heart of my bottom." Inspiration is a bit different from Wisdom in that it contains sayings mostly related to Christianity and faith. Here, the author says: "God may hold us accountable not only for our words but for our silence."

This book would not be classified as self-help, but there is much truth to be gleaned from within the pages. I appreciated the variety contained in the book as I felt like there was something for everyone. I also enjoyed that some of the proverbs took a bit of thought to grasp. Several of them would be good food for thought for an entire day or even, perhaps, a group discussion.

The author has, I believe, somewhat limited the audience of this book with the emphasis on Christianity in the last section. That is not necessarily a bad thing. However, it is something to take note of if you are thinking of reading this collection. If you are an agnostic or atheist, this would probably not be a book you would enjoy. Similarly, there were a few sayings that were political in nature. These were few and far between; but, if you have strong political views, there is a chance you would not agree with the author.

Sadly, the book was not well edited, and, for a book of this length, that is an absolute necessity. The mistakes I found included typographical errors, missing or extra punctuation and formatting errors. There was usually a blank line between the sayings, but there were a few times where that was missing. This caused the axioms to run together, making it difficult to figure out where one ended and the next started. A good editor would greatly improve the quality of this book.

The Humor and Wisdom of the Aged gets a 3 out of 4 stars from me. It's a nice, short book of sayings that many would enjoy, but it could use more proofreading. I recommend it to those who enjoy a collection of short words of wisdom. I hope that, in the future, the author expands the collection a bit and retains a good editor. That would definitely shoot this one to the top of my must read list!

The Humor and Wisdom of the Aged
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like an interesting read, although it is not something that I would usually pick up. Thanks for the detailed review as always!
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

I'm a fan of wise, witty sayings, so I may enjoy reading this book. I also agree that the collection should be expanded. Thanks for the interesting review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

It sounds like such fun to have a book of modern proverbs. It’s a shame that it was not edited well, though.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. ’Diplomacy is letting someone else have your way’ is a brilliant line, I love it. Such a pity it wasn’t edited properly. I agree that nowadays, politics and religion are tricky subjects, best avoided if possible.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

gen_g wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 00:03 This seems like an interesting read, although it is not something that I would usually pick up. Thanks for the detailed review as always!
I appreciate your comments. It's not normally something I would gravitate towards either, but it was fun to read.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nimat87 wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 04:51 I'm a fan of wise, witty sayings, so I may enjoy reading this book. I also agree that the collection should be expanded. Thanks for the interesting review.
Thanks for your comment. You very well might enjoy this one. If you decide to pick it up, let me know what you think.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 05:52 It sounds like such fun to have a book of modern proverbs. It’s a shame that it was not edited well, though.
It really is sad especially as it's such a small book. It's something that could so easily be taken care of. Thanks for stopping by.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Helen_Combe wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 05:52 Great review. ’Diplomacy is letting someone else have your way’ is a brilliant line, I love it. Such a pity it wasn’t edited properly. I agree that nowadays, politics and religion are tricky subjects, best avoided if possible.
I completely agree. Politics and religion are so divisive that I almost cringe whenever I see anything about them (especially politics for me.) Still, it was a good book. Thanks for your comments.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I think this is one I will enjoy. I like the three examples you quoted. I do hope the author made the proper citations, as I would suppose the "sayings" are most probably not original.

What is it with getting a good editor? Sometimes, just running the piece through "Word" or "Grammarly" will already clean up fairly well.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I would not mind about the religious aspect of the book because I like learning about people’s spiritual beliefs. However, I would mind about the political aspect of it. I do not like politics in books unless the books are historical or about politics per se. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for the insightful review. I was just wondering why the author talks of the aged in the title.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

It sounds like such a wonderful read. Bad editing seems to be a common theme that I wish would be checked for more. Great review and let me just say, I love your profile photo.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Thanks for the review. I would definitely enjoy this book. This is another source of food for my soul. :)
yksikri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by yksikri »

I would love to dig in this book. It seems pretty interesting as described in review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”