Official Review: More than a Conqueror

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: More than a Conqueror

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "More than a Conqueror" by Sharon Walls-Griffin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sharon Walls-Griffin’s More than a Conqueror is her inspirational narrative of a life ravaged by abuse and addiction transformed by the redemptive power of faith.

Walls-Griffin grew up as the middle child of five children and begins her story with a brief introduction to her family. She described her laid back father as more of a friend than a parent, while her mother was the disciplinarian of the family. Her oldest brother, Reynolds was a goodie-two-shoes. Next was Sal, a charming jokester. Sassy, strong-willed Sharon fell right in the middle. She considered her younger brother Cederick a nerd who was too serious. Sharon was slightly threatened by her baby sister Tina, whom she viewed as competition for Daddy’s love.

She has fond early childhood memories of singing and dancing with Daddy, who was her hero. Though the family lived in rough neighborhoods and money was scarce, Mama kept her children entertained with frequent trips to the library. Sharon enjoyed getting lost in books and reinventing herself as different characters. She loved reading, found learning easy, and made good grades in school.

At the tender age of seven, two significant events changed the course of her life. Because she was such a strong reader, Sharon received her own Bible from the Sunday school she attended with her older siblings. It was her first introduction to the Lord and she was very excited. Since the customary age for children to receive the Sunday school Bible was nine, she was extremely proud of herself.

Unfortunately, the positive experience quickly faded when she was sexually abused by a cousin that was living with her family at the time. As any young child would be, she was hurt and confused. She referred to the abusive cousin as Shame. This had a powerful effect on me as the reader. Anytime he was mentioned, I felt her pain. After she was violated, young Sharon was afraid to go to sleep and when she did drift off, her sleep was interrupted with nightmares. When she finally worked up the courage to tell Mama, she wrote a note because she didn’t know how to explain the abuse. Understandably, she expected the revelation to her parents to have dramatic results. When nothing really happened, she felt betrayed and alone. Shame never touched her again and left soon after her note to Mama, but the damage was done. Her parents had failed to protect her and she couldn’t understand why.

Several years later, when Sharon was eleven, her parents bought a house. She was very excited and envisioned a big yard with pretty flowers. Unfortunately, as the first black family on the block, they encountered racism. By their first day in their new home, the family had suffered two fires intentionally set to scare them away. Sharon also had to contend with neighborhood bullies and racial slurs. She couldn’t understand why the color of her skin mattered, but she started to believe that white people must be better than she was. Not long after their move, just as she started puberty, Sharon’s parents got divorced. She was heartbroken that she couldn’t go and live with Daddy. She became convinced that if her father didn’t want her, she was worthless. She went into a deep depression, but never allowed others to see her pain. Life was very hard after Daddy left. I entered puberty with so many insecurities and such low self esteem that I felt like I was already in Hell.

By the time she started high school, Sharon was carrying so much pain that her life began to spiral out of control. Though Mama fought to keep her in school, it was a constant battle and Sharon dropped out. When she was sixteen, she met her first love, Garden Tool but from the beginning, he was unfaithful and treated her disrespectfully. Things went from bad to worse. Sadly, she was so full of self-loathing and hungry for love, she stayed and they had two children together.

In subsequent chapters, Walls-Griffin transparently details her descent into prostitution, abusive relationships and drug addiction. She is also brutally honest about her failings as a parent while she was an addict. Even when her life was in constant upheaval, she never stopped praying and believes God protected and saved her despite the many dangerous situations she encountered. Ultimately, it was this faith in her Redeemer that enabled her not only to write but to become More than a Conqueror.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Walls-Griffin’s raw account was at times hard to read, but if you’ve dealt with addiction personally, or with a family member, it resonates. It is not a light read--at times it seems more graphic than inspirational, but it is honest, which I always appreciate. She writes from a Christian perspective and gives God the glory for healing the pain of her childhood abuse as well as helping her walk in recovery. I enjoyed the book and think the redemptive message is universal regardless of your beliefs. There are a few minor grammatical errors but they didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the book. However, unlike her other character pseudonyms, I found the name Garden Tool a bit confusing. Also, in future edits, I would recommend limiting the frequent use of all caps to emphasize points.

More than a Conqueror
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

An inspirational narrative of a life ravaged by abuse and addiction transformed by the redemptive power of faith is not my cup of tea. OMG! Racism, abuse, and drug addiction are too heavy for me to read. I felt sorry for Sharon. Her experiences are more than traumatic for me, especially the abuse, racism and the divorce of parents. I'm glad she found redemption, though. Thanks for the detailed review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Dolor wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 16:01 An inspirational narrative of a life ravaged by abuse and addiction transformed by the redemptive power of faith is not my cup of tea. OMG! Racism, abuse, and drug addiction are too heavy for me to read. I felt sorry for Sharon. Her experiences are more than traumatic for me, especially the abuse, racism and the divorce of parents. I'm glad she found redemption, though. Thanks for the detailed review.
I completely understand your sentiments. Thanks for your comment.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I’m often amazed at the horror of other people's lives and count my blessings accordingly.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

This sounds like such a tragic but ultimately powerful story. My brother was a drug addict and ultimately got clean with the help of religion, so it would be good to read the story of someone who went through a similar experience I think.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

The woman's pain came through while reading this review. It's a good book for those going through similar things, they could draw strength from the lady's breakthrough.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I want to read this but I'm scared it will be too heavy a read for me. It's amazing the things humans can survive. loved your thoughtful review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Helen_Combe wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 17:27 Great review. I’m often amazed at the horror of other people's lives and count my blessings accordingly.
Thanks! I couldn't agree more.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

meadhbh wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 19:34 This sounds like such a tragic but ultimately powerful story. My brother was a drug addict and ultimately got clean with the help of religion, so it would be good to read the story of someone who went through a similar experience I think.
You bring up a great point. I have a close family member who is also an addict and reading about Sharon's struggle did give me a different perspective. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

KitabuKitamu wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 21:38 The woman's pain came through while reading this review. It's a good book for those going through similar things, they could draw strength from the lady's breakthrough.
I agree. Thanks for reading!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

JR Mercier wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 03:36 I want to read this but I'm scared it will be too heavy a read for me. It's amazing the things humans can survive. loved your thoughtful review.
I completely understand that. It was heavy during much of her story, but fortunately, the overall message conveyed hope and faith. Thanks for your comment!
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

It is stories like this that one, makes me grateful for the life I have and also reminds me not to take it for granted. So many bad things happen in this life and to be able to achieve redemption either by faith or by other means is great. I too felt Sharon'spain through the review. I will not be taking up this particular read but I do appreciate the review. It was well written and pretty clear.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like a raw and emotional read which will also inspire the reader. Thanks for the detailed review!
Humble8
Favorite Author: R.D. Base
Favorite Book: Toni the Superhero
Currently Reading: The Housemaid
Bookshelf Size: 59
fav_author_id: 125945

Post by Humble8 »

This sound so tragic to read. One think is that is good to learn from other person experience . This book is such a powerful book that teach alot about religional circumstances.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I almost cried when I read your review. I'm still sitting here fighting tears. This is why I can't read books about abuse. It's just far too heartbreaking. There is so much that can be learned from stories like Sharon's including compassion for others and always treating everyone with respect, especially since you never know what they have been through or are going through. I just can't read books that are that emotionally raw.

Excellent review. I just can't read this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”