Official Review: Spiritual Teachings of the Purpose of Li...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: Spiritual Teachings of the Purpose of Li...

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spiritual Teachings of the Purpose of Life on Earth" by Richard Durham.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spiritual Teachings of the Purpose of Life is a non-fiction self-help book. The author, Richard Durham, uses a very new dimension in providing information that is helpful to everyone. He teaches how to achieve happiness and harmony in life through meditation.

The book consists of 38 chapters. Most of the chapters are very short. At the beginning of the book, I had trouble accepting that a book can have very short chapters and be able to deliver its purpose. By the end of the book, I appreciated that every chapter, however short, was worth being part of the book. The kind of message that the author seeks to communicate through the book does not require many unnecessary words. Thus, he had to keep most of the chapters short and concise.

The main theme of the book is meditation. The author read many books before he could find the best way to achieve a connection with the spiritual realm. Meditation is important in every religion. From the content of the book, I believe that Richard Durham is a Christian because he uses verses from the Bible to support his points. As a Christian, I easily understand why he was eager to find answers about the purpose of human existence.

The style of writing is simple and easy to understand. He uses his personal life experiences to back up his points. This enables the reader to have a clear picture of the concept of the book. According to the author, at higher levels of meditation one can be used by a spiritual entity to convey a message to other people. He calls this channeling. I was happy to find out that he had even exceeded this level. He is able to have conversations with God! Well, I still have trouble accepting such as a reality. He has recorded most of the instances when he was used in channeling and when he talked to God. He includes the recordings in the book written in italics. The italics section of the book kept me glued to the pages to find out the kind of messages the author had received from spiritual entities. They all made sense. I also appreciate that he gave examples of the experiences witnessed during group meditation sessions.

Unfortunately, I felt that the book could have used a bit more editing. There were many instances of missing punctuation marks and double spacing between words. In addition, the first line of the first chapter is not appropriate. It needs to be revised. These were mildly distracting, but the message in the book is powerful enough to overlook these issues.

I do wish that the book had been a bit longer. I appreciated knowing that one can become happy and live in perfect peace through meditation. The author should have brought in the aspect of worship and its relationship with meditation. I would love to have heard more examples of how his life became better through meditation.

Overall, I believe that Spiritual Teachings of the Purpose of Life is a great book with a positive message. Therefore, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. It is a quick and easy read. I would not give it a lower rating because it offers a powerful message. All it needs is more editing to make it a perfect book. I recommend the book to everyone who wants to know his or her purpose in life.

Spiritual Teachings of the Purpose of Life on Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is nice but I have not yet come to terms with the application of meditation to achieve happiness. I believe that meditation could be a way of internalizing what you have learned. This is a good review. Thanks a lot for it and I hope the errors highlighted will be corrected.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Maina Kevin92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Maina Kevin92 »

I believe that the cover of the book could be better after all first impressions are that important. Being short and concise improves the readability of the book and condenses a lot of information in an understandable manner.
Since the author uses his personal experiences to emphasise the importance of meditation in his practice it becomes easier for the reader to directly relate to it.
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Kibetious wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 23:22 This is nice but I have not yet come to terms with the application of meditation to achieve happiness. I believe that meditation could be a way of internalizing what you have learned. This is a good review. Thanks a lot for it and I hope the errors highlighted will be corrected.
I like your honest view of meditation. I hope you find some answers to the link between meditation and happiness. Thanks :tiphat:
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Maina Kevin92 wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 06:09 I believe that the cover of the book could be better after all first impressions are that important. Being short and concise improves the readability of the book and condenses a lot of information in an understandable manner.
Since the author uses his personal experiences to emphasise the importance of meditation in his practice it becomes easier for the reader to directly relate to it.
The use of personal experiences is important for a book that seeks to promote a certain way of living. I agree with you that it makes it easier for the reader to directly relate to it.
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I like spiritual books. I've also done 2 reviews on spiritual books. I liked your writing style. Keep it up.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Sunnyroyish wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 05:50 I like spiritual books. I've also done 2 reviews on spiritual books. I liked your writing style. Keep it up.
Thanks
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your review. It's good to know that you've found the book readworthy, relatable, and of good value despite the errors you've noticed.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”