Official Review: Love Lifted Me by B.L. Harden

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Love Lifted Me by B.L. Harden

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Lifted Me" by B.L. Harden.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In her book, Love Lifted Me, B.L.Harden exposes the ramifications of taking up an offense and letting it fester. Written in short chapters, she covers the idea of how harboring unforgiveness can lead to all types of trouble.

This book is written in the first person with the character Ann Mobley playing narrator. Her lifelong best friend, Hattie, a regular church attendee is suddenly absent from her spot in her normal pew. Hattie confides to Ann that a situation has arisen to shake her confidence and faith as a believer. While Ann admonishes her to clear this up, Hattie stubbornly refuses to see the light.

Because the book is so short with seventy-four pages written in large print, a reader could easily finish this story from cover to cover in one session. However, the punctuation, sentence structure, and grammar errors are jarring making for a bumpy and uncomfortable reading experience. For example, commas are left out when dialogue is taking place as seen here in this sentence: "...all Hattie said was "'I am so happy for you and so proud of the progress you have made.'" A comma should be inserted after the word 'was' to set apart the conversation from the rest of the text. While this may seem minor, this occurred throughout the entire book making it difficult at times to understand when a character was about to speak. In addition to this, dialogue between characters was sometimes written in the format of a play with the character's name listed and his or her words following. Then, in other parts of the book, the characters communicated with quotation marks placed around their words. This makes for a rather haphazard writing style and one way should be chosen and adhered to throughout the piece.

Besides a lack of continuity in how the dialogue was presented, there were many spelling mistakes. The one that struck me the most was in this sentence: "Slowly rising to her feet moving towards the center aisle, Hattie started belching out Love Lifted Me." The word 'belching', I am assuming, should be 'belting' written in a slang term to indicate singing at the top of her lungs. Belching is an entirely different activity which probably would be frowned upon in a church setting. The author makes this mistake twice. This blunder is significant because the title of the book is based on this, and it occurs at the pinnacle of the story. With this mistake so glaring, it takes away from the emotional impact that the story should produce at that moment.

This small book does have the potential to be of great use. The storyline, the characters and the use of slang was entertaining. I enjoyed the theme of the story in that it revolved around the fact that when we don't resolve issues involving offense, we become chained to it so much so that our reality and perception can become skewed. All we see is the frustration and this leaves no room for clear-headed thinking. Anger and love cannot co-exist, so in Hattie's case, she was allowing her feelings of irritation to cloud her ability to view a situation with clarity. Even though the author wrote this with the intention of churchgoers to read this and shape up, I think humanity itself could learn a lesson. Not only does the author put out a call about the power of forgiveness, she also encourages people to be aware of their fellow man and come to the aid of another when something seems amiss.

I think the book would be best suited for a church discussion group as the author has included questions at the end for pondering the various topics she wrote about. The context does have a Pentecostal flair, so for those who don't like that, this wouldn't be on their 'want to read' list.

I kept envisioning this as a wonderful idea for a church to convert into a play and present it to a congregation. With the narrator already in place throughout the entire piece, the author's message could extend further to reach the masses. Many people don't like to read, but they will sit and watch the action of a story on a stage.

Due to the lack of attention given to proper punctuation, grammar and formatting, I am awarding this book a 2 out of 4 stars. In its current state of disorganization, it is difficult to read, but if the author would take the necessary steps in having it professionally edited along with a good proofreading, its value would increase tremendously. Also, the genre this book was listed under was 'non-fiction' which would indicate it was a true story. I could not decipher while I was reading whether this was the case or not.

Love Lifted Me
View: on Bookshelves

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I agree with you that this interesting story would work well as a play. The topic and the book cover are also eye-catching and reflect what is contained in the book. Thank you for your honest review.
Kashosi
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashosi.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Kashosi »

The review is catching for me anything concerning spiritual growth is important and find that you really read the book with a critical mind that could be useful to the author to improve his future work. Unforgiveness is not an easy thing to deal with and the process is agony but with the right mind and the will to be free is available.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I now have an image of a woman belching hymns in church which I am never going to be able to delete. I knew somebody who could belch ’buy some booze’, but I’ve not come across a singing belcher.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

When I read this "...when we don't resolve issues involving offense, we become chained to it so much so that our reality and perception can become skewed.", it reminded me of the book 'The Bait of Satan' by John Bevere.

I like the message of this book about the spiritual growth facing by every believer. Too bad this book is not properly edited yet. I hope the author will take action on this. By the way, thank you for your detailed review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

I like books that highlight the importance of spiritual growth through the testing of faith. I would like to read this book in spite of the errors you mentioned. Great review!
bright111
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bright111 »

I love this because its happen the spiritual life to growing up and so to learn from it and to know what is happen in the world, is a Good writer
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 04:56 Great review. I now have an image of a woman belching hymns in church which I am never going to be able to delete. I knew somebody who could belch ’buy some booze’, but I’ve not come across a singing belcher.
I did laugh when I saw it because I thought my reading glasses were playing tricks on me again. But, nope, it wasn't me on that one. I felt bad because it really did come at possibly the most important part of the book. I tried to be respectful in my review so the author could just fix it and move on. Thanks for reading my review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

This book really does seem like it would make a good church play! Errors can be so frustrating, especially when they have been repeated over and over again. I hope this book undergoes professional editing before it hits the shelves!
Chidozie1991

Post by Chidozie1991 »

This book is strictly on believers and how strong is your faith. Although the book is not properly edited yet, and I hope the author should take note of that. Thanks for reviewing.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 04:56 Great review. I now have an image of a woman belching hymns in church which I am never going to be able to delete. I knew somebody who could belch ’buy some booze’, but I’ve not come across a singing belcher.
Oh lord, I love your comment. I must say that the reviewer has got amazing skills. I would have read this book if it weren't full of grammatical errors.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

Although the themes of this book are not ones I am generally interested in, I love short books that you can devour in one sitting. It's a shame about the punctuation and spelling issues.
Owner

Post by Owner »

I want to read this book. just joined the club. But having read the comments by other reviewers my comments maybe influenced. Any short book with a love story that has not yet been reviewed by members. I want my own pure thoughts.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”