Official Review: Memoirs of a play-white

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: Memoirs of a play-white

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Memoirs of a play-white" by Helene Louiesa Mynhardt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apartheid is one of the most defining aspects of the history of South Africa. Many South Africans who were born before Nelson Mandela became the first black president of the country experienced it all. Louiesa Mynhardt, who grew up in South Africa during that era, tells her story through Memoirs of a Play-white.

The book has seven chapters. Louiesa has written her memoir in third person. This enables the reader to have an expansive view of every experience and event in the memoir. The first five chapters give the experiences that shaped her personality and career. She dedicated the last two chapters to the two main aspects that led to the end of racial segregation in South Africa i.e. entertainment and the first democratic elections.

The author has a very close connection with her mother, Doris. The first chapter of the book gives a detailed account of her mother’s life. Louiesa was born in Kliptown on December 30, 1957. They moved to Nancefield when she was nine years old. She has two stepsisters, Daphne and Shirley. Doris is an alcoholic. However, she did not neglect her role of teaching her children good morals. Louiesa chose to follow her mother’s advice. Thus, she worked hard in school and later became a successful professional in the banking industry. Most of her fond memories are about her time in school. She went to Nancefield Primary 2. She also notes the times she worked at OK Bazaars where she was considered a “Play-white” because she enjoyed the privileges of the white employees although she was not a White. She was the family’s breadwinner.

I liked the comprehensive coverage of each chapter in the book. The author takes the reader through every important event and experience from her past. She covers different stages of her life including her childhood, education, and career in the banking industry. In addition, she gives the factors that shaped her life. They include poverty, her mother’s addiction to alcohol, teachers, employers, friends, traitors, politics, and apartheid. She also mentions the places that she visited in South Africa and beyond. She took her mother for holidays in Singapore and Malaysia. The book has photographs of various items, people, and places that make the memoir very interesting.

The book does not have many errors. I noted very few errors that cannot distract the reader from enjoying the book. However, the last chapter about the first democratic elections contains information about some of the author’s experiences while working at the Standard Chartered Bank of South Africa. I believe such memories would fit perfectly in chapter five, which covers her Standard Chartered Bank employment. I hope to read the next book in the series to find out more about her life in the post-apartheid period. Overall, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in learning about the apartheid era in South Africa.

Memoirs of a play-white
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jgideon's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like a really informative and insightful read. I’ve taken a module on colonial South Africa, and the stuff I learnt about Apartheid left me shocked. Thanks for the amazing review!
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

gen_g wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 23:30 This seems like a really informative and insightful read. I’ve taken a module on colonial South Africa, and the stuff I learnt about Apartheid left me shocked. Thanks for the amazing review!
Yes, the book is very informative. You are welcome :)
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I have read Nelson's memoir but I would like to read from a woman's experience during this Apartheid era. I perceive hi is the book that I have been looking for. Thank you for such informative review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sound read! I have the long walk to freedom by Nelson Mandela that tells his story. It sure must have been desperate times to live. Must be a fascinating read to be hold. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Thanks for your detailed review. From what I've read and heard, the period of apartheid surely wasn't a great time to be black in South Africa. It is motivating to know that a few blacks were able to weather the storm and become successful even during such dire conditions.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Jgideon wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 04:58 Overall, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in learning about the apartheid era in South Africa.
I would definitely like to learn more about this - I know very little about this period and region in the first place. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 07:13 I have read Nelson's memoir but I would like to read from a woman's experience during this Apartheid era. I perceive hi is the book that I have been looking for. Thank you for such informative review.
It will not disappoint you. It is a great memoir. Welcome :)
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

SamSim wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 10:33
Jgideon wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 04:58 Overall, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in learning about the apartheid era in South Africa.
I would definitely like to learn more about this - I know very little about this period and region in the first place. Thanks for the recommendation!
You will learn a lot from the book. You are much welcome :)
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Nimat87 wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 06:47 Thanks for your detailed review. From what I've read and heard, the period of apartheid surely wasn't a great time to be black in South Africa. It is motivating to know that a few blacks were able to weather the storm and become successful even during such dire conditions.

It was indeed horrible for the blacks. I believe that success is a choice-they chose to succeed. Thanks for your comment.
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 06:09 Sound read! I have the long walk to freedom by Nelson Mandela that tells his story. It sure must have been desperate times to live. Must be a fascinating read to be hold. Thank you for your review!

It is a great read. You are welcome
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

The book definitely sounds like an insightful read. I enjoyed reading your review, it's interesting to see how different reviewers put their points forward.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I think this book is a very good material for those who want to explore the culture of Africa. Good review.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Jgideon
Currently Reading:

Post by Jgideon »

Sunnyroyish wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 09:19 I think this book is a very good material for those who want to explore the culture of Africa. Good review.
Thanks for the comment

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”