Official Review: As the Wind Blows by Shanicka Scarbrough

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: As the Wind Blows by Shanicka Scarbrough

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "As the Wind Blows" by Shanicka Scarbrough.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At a time when the media is awash with news of depression-related suicides and homicides, Dr. Shanicka Scarbrough provides this highly inspirational material on why it’s worth the effort to not give up. By relating the true experiences of seven women who have overcome traumatic and depressing stages in their lives, As The Wind Blows passes across the clear message that no crushing experience is worth dying for. Each woman tells how relying on God’s healing power helped with winning the war against depression. Everyone who is struggling with one depressing situation or the other or has a loved one who is, should get their hands on this book.

Lachelle Evans was a rebellious teenager who would regularly sneak out of the house to spend time with friends she considered glamorous, until she got pregnant. A second pregnancy three months after the birth of the first child threw her deeper into crushing feelings of worthlessness. Then she gets brutally beaten up and raped by a man she believed was in love with her, but who she later discovered was actually a pimp.

As a child, Dr. Teriya Richmond badly wanted friends who she could be as close to as sisters; she called them her “Sisfriends.” The only problem with this was that her friendships were not lasting ones. She would continually try to hold on to friends who didn’t wish her well. In fact, when Teriya made the honor roll in school, the person she called her best friend beat her up! Teriya’s story reminded me of a child I read about earlier today, who confided in her tutor that she wanted to end it all because no one wanted to be friends with her, and her little schoolmates called her a parasite.

Of course, these stories do not end there. Lachelle, Teriya and the remaining five women talk about what helped them on their journey to finding self-worth and vanquishing depression. This book addresses a sensitive topic in a very realistic, understanding manner. Many depressed people are ashamed to share their experiences and blame themselves for some of the unfortunate circumstances they find themselves in. This book repeatedly highlights the fact that depression is not anyone’s fault, and it is not forever too. All seven women successfully overcome depression and go ahead to enjoy happy lives.

I fell in love with the way these stories were told. No judgment, no should-haves, could-haves, or would-haves. They simply focus on what happened and what helped on the road to recovery and happiness. Each story is so realistic, and the endings radiate positivity and hope. What is more, the language used is clear and concise, and the grammar errors I found were very few and do not detract from overall reading pleasure. Consequently, I am happy to award this book 4 out of 4 stars.

As the Wind Blows
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

I love the cover of this book. Great review! I hope to read this very soon.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

elivia05 wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 22:23 I love the cover of this book. Great review! I hope to read this very soon.
Thank you Elivia. I hope you do.
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Plfern »

Thank you for the review, Supergirl1. Because of it, I hope to read this book, As the Wind Blows, in the near future.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Sounds like a very healthy, nonjudgmental approach to very sensitive and relevant issues. I hope this reaches and helps many people. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I love the cover illustration, breath talking and it is very blissful every time I see it. Definitely like to read this book. I haven't face such big issues as this but I have been in depression before so I know how it feels. Thank you for your detailed and interesting review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Plfern wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 09:50 Thank you for the review, Supergirl1. Because of it, I hope to read this book, As the Wind Blows, in the near future.
I’m thrilled this review helped you make a positive decision to read the book. Thank you!
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

SamSim wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 11:48 Sounds like a very healthy, nonjudgmental approach to very sensitive and relevant issues. I hope this reaches and helps many people. Great review!
Thank you Sam. It’s a book that could potentially save lives.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 20:41 I love the cover illustration, breath talking and it is very blissful every time I see it. Definitely like to read this book. I haven't face such big issues as this but I have been in depression before so I know how it feels. Thank you for your detailed and interesting review!
I agree, the cover illustration is so apt and beautiful. Thanks. I’m glad you enjoyed the review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This book is worth reading. I had suffered depression before and I'm glad by the grace of God I have overcame it. I would like to read this because I'm curious about their experience with depression and how they get over their depression. Thank you for your detailed review!
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

The book sounds very inspiring and real. I can't wait to read it! Thank you for the great review.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I think the stories seem a little depressing to read about. The cover design is quite nice and calming. I did not expect the book to contain such challenging incidents. I enjoyed your review, it is well-written.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 02:58 This book is worth reading. I had suffered depression before and I'm glad by the grace of God I have overcame it. I would like to read this because I'm curious about their experience with depression and how they get over their depression. Thank you for your detailed review!
Thank you for your comment @ParadoxicalWoman. I also love reading books that provide more insight to socially relevant challenges.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

liftedbooks wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 09:49 The book sounds very inspiring and real. I can't wait to read it! Thank you for the great review.
You’re welcome! Thanks for reading it too. :D
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

KristyKhem wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 21:14 I think the stories seem a little depressing to read about. The cover design is quite nice and calming. I did not expect the book to contain such challenging incidents. I enjoyed your review, it is well-written.
They are stories about people’s experiences with depression, but they aren’t told from a depressing angle. In fact, reading this book left me with an upbeat feeling, like I was ready to face all my challenges head-on. You know, you might end up enjoying it even more than you enjoyed the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”