Review by dawn_wee -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
dawn_wee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawn-wee.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by dawn_wee -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by dawn_wee » 13 Jun 2018, 11:25

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I loved this book. This is the only self-help / motivational book that I enjoyed reading and found hard to put down. It is well written, to the point and clear. No long-winded stories, no hard to grasp ideas, no loose ends for you to figure out on your own. The author, Rob White, tells his stories simply and gives his lessons clearly. I can see why he was a teacher for so many years – he’s a great teacher. He is also a good writer – his writing style has good flow; his chapter transitions are timed well. Overall the book is an easy and entertaining read.

In each chapter, Rob White teaches a lesson about success in life. He starts each chapter with a myth of what he previously believed life should be. He then goes on to tell a story about a particular experience in his life and he ends the chapter with what he learnt from that experience.

The chapters loosely follow his life chronologically – he first writes about his younger days growing up in a small town, then what he learnt through his experiences at college. Thereafter he writes about the lessons learnt while he was moving through adult life; first as a teacher, then a real-estate entrepreneur, a restaurateur and finally a motivational speaker.

I like the lessons that Rob White teaches in each chapter and think that they can make a difference in anyone’s life if applied. I am impressed that Rob White is able to sieve out these lessons from his experiences. A lot of the time, we go through life without thinking. The author however is able to process particular life experiences and consciously learn lessons from it. I think this book is useful in two different ways – the first of course is the lessons that the author seeks to teach; the second is the awakening of an awareness that you can learn a lesson from each life experience. You just need to process and distill the lesson out from the experience, like how Rob White has done.

I highly recommend this book to everyone. I want my children to read it. Even if you do not have time, make some time to read this book and learn some lessons from it. It is not every day you find a useful book that is entertaining to read with valuable and practical lessons to teach.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dawn_wee's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”