Official Review: Boss Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan to Tak...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Official Review: Boss Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan to Tak...

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

Very interesting if you want to set up your own business and to be your own boss. Thank you for the review.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Githumaina19 wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 15:26 The cover of the book and images used are a perfect introduction to the book and it's major subject of discussion. Also the book should be in the possession of any young woman looking to leave a mark on the face of the earth
Indeed, I do agree! Thanks for stopping by!
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Ana-Maria-Diana wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 01:37 Very interesting if you want to set up your own business and to be your own boss. Thank you for the review.
It is indeed a must-read for any woman who wants to set up her own business. Thanks for the comments!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. While the author seems really bright and forthcoming about how to be a successful boss, I am a little torn, based on the title. I wonder about the "bitch" part. Is it like a feminist reclaiming of the word - reclaiming of authentic power? Or is it promoting an aggressive model of leadership? I guess I will have to read it :) Thanks so much for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Eva Darrington wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 13:49 I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. While the author seems really bright and forthcoming about how to be a successful boss, I am a little torn, based on the title. I wonder about the "bitch" part. Is it like a feminist reclaiming of the word - reclaiming of authentic power? Or is it promoting an aggressive model of leadership? I guess I will have to read it :) Thanks so much for the great review.
I suppose it can be called a feminist reclaiming of the woman's sense of self-esteem, as Lapin's point is to encourage women to not be overly affected by being called bitches. This is as her thoughts are like this: if someone calls you a bitch simply because you ace at your work, it's not on you, but on the person who called you that since (s)he is feeling threatened by your competence. (Lapin used a man as an example of the person who labels the woman who excels a bitch, although I have to say that women do that as well, which makes them guilty of living in bad faith, but I digress.)

So, instead of feeling insulted, Lapin wants the woman to own that title and not be embarrassed simply because the woman's sense of self should never be sacrificed for the man's, since she has no control over her gender. In this sense, I suppose Lapin might be promoting an aggressive model of leadership if one were to look through it from a patriarchal lens, but I am of the opinion that this model of leadership is not only NOT aggressive, but has also been a long time in coming, since women shouldn't have to prove herself simply because she is not a man. (It seems like I got carried away oops!) Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate it! :)
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

gen_g wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 00:56 This is as her thoughts are like this: if someone calls you a bitch simply because you ace at your work, it's not on you, but on the person who called you that since (s)he is feeling threatened by your competence.
How very kind of you to answer my question so fully. It does sound like the author has tried to help people transform the concept. Definitely true that some are threatened by competence. Thanks so much for the dialogue!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Eva Darrington wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 09:05
gen_g wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 00:56 This is as her thoughts are like this: if someone calls you a bitch simply because you ace at your work, it's not on you, but on the person who called you that since (s)he is feeling threatened by your competence.
How very kind of you to answer my question so fully. It does sound like the author has tried to help people transform the concept. Definitely true that some are threatened by competence. Thanks so much for the dialogue!
She definitely did. :lol: Thank YOU for stopping by, since I'm the one with the tendency to ramble!
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I aspire to be an entrepreneur so I would read this book.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Sweet Psamy wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 04:27 I aspire to be an entrepreneur so I would read this book.
It would make a good guidebook. Thanks for stopping by.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I love that women are working on raising each other up and encouraging advancement and sharing of knowledge. I will look into this for helping with my own small business.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 14:49 I love that women are working on raising each other up and encouraging advancement and sharing of knowledge. I will look into this for helping with my own small business.
I hope it will inspire you as much as it did me! Thanks for stopping by.
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I really wanted to review this book, but when I chose it there was an error and I couldn't download it! :( I'm glad you enjoyed it though, and I guess I'll have to go out and get it myself, since you gave it such a high rating!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

katiesquilts wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 20:42 I really wanted to review this book, but when I chose it there was an error and I couldn't download it! :( I'm glad you enjoyed it though, and I guess I'll have to go out and get it myself, since you gave it such a high rating!
Oh, I was certainly lucky! :D I hope you will enjoy reading it as much as I did. Thanks for stopping by! (:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It sounds a very engaging book. I am interested in career related books, and I think it will be very helpful for business owners and career-seeking employees. Thanks for this great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 09:19 It sounds a very engaging book. I am interested in career related books, and I think it will be very helpful for business owners and career-seeking employees. Thanks for this great review.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”