Official Review: Boss Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan to Tak...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Official Review: Boss Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan to Tak...

Post by gen_g »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Boss Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan to Take Charge of Your Career" by Nicole Lapin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To all my fellow women out there: would you like to be the kick-ass boss of your life and your multimillion-dollar business? If the answer is a resounding yes, then Nicole Lapin’s book titled Boss Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan to Take Charge of Your Career will definitely be your best bet. Her comprehensive guide teaches you not only how to take charge of your own career by cultivating a “Boss Bitch” mentality, it also incorporates a step-by-step tutorial for aspiring entrepreneurs – from polishing your résumé and creating an awesome elevator pitch to finding the best way to maximise both profit and time once your business is established. Lapin helps you to figure out exactly what you want out of your career and provides you with the tools to do so.

Firstly, let me put this here: I very much enjoyed reading this book. Lapin is a sassy and intelligent (business)woman with a big heart. She sincerely wants the reader to succeed, so she does not hold back with the knowledge she has gained – she puts it all down in her book for the readers. Her experiences and lessons learnt in business are all described in intricate detail (but never superfluous), which helped me to gain a better understanding of the points she made. In other words, by inserting multiple examples and little anecdotes about her various encounters with people from all walks of life whenever relevant, the book will easily resonate with a larger pool of potential readers.

Furthermore, part of the book’s irresistible attraction is the language used. Simple, but bold and hard-hitting, it inculcates in the female reader a strong sense of confidence, motivating the woman to step up and take charge, to become a “Boss Bitch” who aces all aspects of her career. I can definitely see Lapin’s book being the kick-starter of many an individual’s journey to entrepreneurial success (yes, men can read the book too, since her business advice is too good to pass up).

In fact, what sets this book apart from others in this genre is Lapin’s ability to deliver advice which is applicable to both business and personal aspects of life – she draws conclusions from her experiences and succinctly summarises them into veritable nuggets for the readers. In addition, she readily admits her mistakes and encourages her readers to do the same, as well as to play to both their strengths and weaknesses in order to become a more efficient and productive individual overall. Not only does this show humility and a willingness to learn on Lapin’s part, these are great qualities that make her a great role model in life and in business.

Therefore, I rate Boss Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan to Take Charge of Your Career 4 out of 4 stars. This is a book which I would recommend to anyone who has ambitions to set up his/her own business, as Lapin takes care to cover all the bases – she teaches the reader how to raise both funds and publicity, avoid office drama and properly file corporate taxes, even going so far as to include shrewd exit strategies. Moreover, the insertion of a glossary of corporate terms makes for easier reference in a brilliantly structured read. However, fear not, even if you are not looking to be an entrepreneur, this book is also a great source of information to develop that “Boss Bitch” mentality even as an employee; it is also a fantastic manual to hone your confidence and backbone to deal with difficult situations at various points in your career. So, to my dear budding Boss Bitches: do take up this book, I assure you that you will not regret it!

Boss Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan to Take Charge of Your Career
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like gen_g's review? Post a comment saying so!
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

I am always hesitant to pick up this type of book. I believe your wonderful review has convinced me to give this one a try!
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

elivia05 wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 22:28 I am always hesitant to pick up this type of book. I believe your wonderful review has convinced me to give this one a try!
Thank you for your kind comments! I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I did.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I'm glad you do not have to be interested in running your own company to get anything out of the book. Sounds interesting.
:techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

LaurenHaupt wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 23:34 I'm glad you do not have to be interested in running your own company to get anything out of the book. Sounds interesting.
It was a nice read indeed! Thank you for your kind comments!
Happyasha
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Happyasha »

I love your point of view toward the book! I must say this book is going to be so interesting and benefiting
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Sounds like a book one can learn a lot from, both personally and professionally. Thanks for the well-written review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Happyasha wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 03:23 I love your point of view toward the book! I must say this book is going to be so interesting and benefiting
Thank you for your sweet comments! I hope you enjoy it. (:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Nimat87 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 05:09 Sounds like a book one can learn a lot from, both personally and professionally. Thanks for the well-written review.
Indeed, I’m definitely going to use some of her tips in the future. Thanks for the kind comments!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The book sounds great, and the author sounds even better. I'd love to be able to take this information and start my own business. I'm just really unsure that I would be able to actually succeed at it. Nonetheless, this sounds like it's chock full of information. Thanks so much for introducing this one to us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 07:35 The book sounds great, and the author sounds even better. I'd love to be able to take this information and start my own business. I'm just really unsure that I would be able to actually succeed at it. Nonetheless, this sounds like it's chock full of information. Thanks so much for introducing this one to us.
You’re welcome! I enjoyed reading this one very much, and it discusses issues we could all learn, from salary negotiation techniques to dealing with office politics. Thanks for your kind comments.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

elivia05 wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 22:28 I am always hesitant to pick up this type of book. I believe your wonderful review has convinced me to give this one a try!
My reaction exactly! Even though I don't have business-related aspirations, this great review makes me want to read this book. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

SamSim wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 10:44
My reaction exactly! Even though I don't have business-related aspirations, this great review makes me want to read this book. Thanks for the recommendation!
You’re welcome! I hope that you’ll enjoy it if you decide to pick it up. Thanks for the kind comments.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

Books about sassy, confident and bad-ass women always make me want to read all from the genre. Plus, this one sounds a lot different than others. Might give this one a try. Amazing review, loved your perspective!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

gen_g wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 09:16
kandscreeley wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 07:35 The book sounds great, and the author sounds even better. I'd love to be able to take this information and start my own business. I'm just really unsure that I would be able to actually succeed at it. Nonetheless, this sounds like it's chock full of information. Thanks so much for introducing this one to us.
You’re welcome! I enjoyed reading this one very much, and it discusses issues we could all learn, from salary negotiation techniques to dealing with office politics. Thanks for your kind comments.
Statistically speaking, things like salary negotiation are what women are notoriously bad at. Very often it doesn't even occur to them to ask for a different number than what is offered, so I am quite glad that she addresses that. I also appreciate she addresses tax concerns, although that may be USA specific (although I am making an assumption here). I believe that is the thing least planned for when starting a business. Very few people know, for instance, that taxes must be filed a month earlier than personal taxes. And that is just one detail. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”